• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

WoodyLuvr

Since it doesn't require OTG cables how well does the E1DA #9038S play with usb hubs? USB-C hub best? Powered/Unpowered? Interested to hear people's experiences.

Last edited:

WoodyLuvr

Besides the volume knob, display, and additional inputs is everyone still finding that some of these dongle dac/hpa units are on par to desktop units sound wise?

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
WoodyLuvr, depends on a particular product. Amirm got a lot of measurements for decent stuff and for the junk as well, regardless of the price tag. I hope 9038S outperforms many of them in terms of THD at 32/16ohm loaded and Zout. I have noticed that DACs manufacturers like to show very good performance for no-load condition, and just so-so if the DAC is loaded with headphones, probably because users don't understand the difference loaded either not loaded condition is matter for real life.

IVX

Major Contributor
9038SG3 Dynamic Range at 32/384 123db(A), hence S/N the same -123db(A).
9038SG3_DR.PNG

IVX

Major Contributor
The AP analyzer is quite a sophisticated machine, for example, I can get the result of THD without a noise included just to see the distortions itself. Why THD and THD+N may look so different in the case of 9038SG3? As I mentioned, SNR is -123db(A) hence, -120db unweighted. Harmonics of the distortions also has the same or a bit lower level, so the THD+N looks up to 2x times(2^.5 if noise and harmonics are equal) worse vs THD(or let's call it THD-N). I don't think if such distortion level makes difference but I absolutely don't believe if such a noise level does, so, it's a good idea to take a look for distortions separately. The blue plot is 9038SG3 no load condition, red one 32ohm. As you can see, up to -2.5dbfs(200mW) THD almost the same. The next plot(magenta) is loopback AP2522 for the reference i.e. how big residual THD of that analyzer.
9038SG3_THD.PNG

AP_residual_THD.PNG

uga

@IVX impressive, as always :)

How long are you still far from releasing this? The "dongle market" is rushing very fast now !

uga

tential

@IVX impressive, as always :)

How long are you still far from releasing this? The "dongle market" is rushing very fast now !

What competition does he have that he needs to rush? I thought this was the best dongle on the market? No other reviews here are as good.

Isn't this basically like a nx4 dsd(no offense if this is a bad comparison ivx. This is my noob idiocy thinking) but balanced, and in dongle form?

uga

What competition does he have that he needs to rush? I thought this was the best dongle on the market? No other reviews here are as good.

Isn't this basically like a nx4 dsd(no offense if this is a bad comparison ivx. This is my noob idiocy thinking) but balanced, and in dongle form?

In the elitistic olympus of the "Perfect Battery-less Dongle/DAC Hyppogryphs", 9038 has no technical competition, I mean it.

Then there is the plebeius world.
There's a lot of money there to be taken, and a lot of competition.

On that segment ALC-based or even better ESS-based single-ended dongles capable of 32/384, DSD256, 30+30W/32Ohm (way enough for most IEMs and "some" cans), "decent" SNR and quite simply decent/good SQ and technicalities are just now dropping to 15$ public price (down from $35-45-ish 1 month ago). Once these will spread enough, and it will take no more than 15/20 days, they will systematically cut the "assumed fair price" for the category down. 9038 will stay in another league technically, sure. But right now it is "twice as expensive as a decent but lower level one". Tomorrow it risks to be "4 or 5 times more expensive". In terms of potential buyer's feeling it's a totally different situation.

Last edited:

sawe

@IVX May I ask what 9038S has inside?

Can I reprogram it to give even more power?

Or change the gain by changing some component?

It seems that Tin Hifi P1 takes all the power it can get.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The 9038S G3 is now available on AliExpress!

I will refrain from listing all the improvements so as to not sound like a salesman, but if you're interested, then you can read more on the website or on the Discord server.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The 9038S G3 is now available on AliExpress!

I will refrain from listing all the improvements so as to not sound like a salesman, but if you're interested, then you can read more on the website or on the Discord server.

Bought!

EddieFreak

I tried to buy this on AliExpress but they wanted me to confirm my credit card by sending a picture of my driver's and of my credit card. I am definitely not doing that. Is there another option to purchase?

Veri

Master Contributor
I tried to buy this on AliExpress but they wanted me to confirm my credit card by sending a picture of my driver's and of my credit card. I am definitely not doing that. Is there another option to purchase?
I think via @IVX direct over PayPal. or over at LinSoul.

uga

First time I hear this. I quite regularly buy from AE, using either paypal (when supported) or credit card (either standard or prepaid) and no one ever asked me for id verification (which ofc I would have never provided - the credit card company and its online expense authorisation system are there for a purpose!... )

Top Bottom