• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
What's your setup lookin like Veri if you don't mind me asking?
I have used the PowerDACv2 as a DAC using the ghent cable via XLRs into a THX AAA :) don't own the 9038s.(yet!)

Tks

Major Contributor
I have used the PowerDACv2 as a DAC using the ghent cable via XLRs into a THX AAA :) don't own the 9038s.(yet!)

Man I really hope some day he decides to refresh that device. The PEQ through a phone? That's ridiculously cool and innovative in such a package so small and something that doesn't murder your wallet. It's those sorts of DSP options I wish more makers would start focusing more on.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Man I really hope some day he decides to refresh that device. The PEQ through a phone? That's ridiculously cool and innovative in such a package so small and something that doesn't murder your wallet. It's those sorts of DSP options I wish more makers would start focusing more on.

The Qudelix 5K will have a 20-band PEQ, with connection via either USB-C or Bluetooth: https://www.qudelix.com/

Should be out in a couple of months.

Reactions: Tks

milan-prog

I've been reading this thread from page 1 in the last day or two. But I've been aware of powerdac and 9038s since one YT review few months back so I thought this looks very promising. Not quite there yet what I wanted then but now with second generation of 9038s I think IVX nailed it. I was compelled to write something here basically to ask for advice since lot of what I read here went over my head. But I've been reading and learning about this hobby since I got more interested in it, I just want to make my listening experience best as possible with budget in mind. So my question would be can you @IVX or someone else advise me in few things: First of all I am IEM guy and I'm planning to use 9038s with android phone only. Been reading about 9038s ability to run power hungry phones well, but... How it will handle efficient and sensitive IEMs like Fearless S8F (113dB, 15ohm) In which mode I should set 9038s, in iem mode or in performance mode if my sourses are 44-192khz (320k mp3 - Flacs) no dsd, mqa crap I tried S8F with few players phones and dacs and best performance I got from ES100, very nice SQ clean without any hiss, oppose to other sources. What can I expect from this combo in terms of SQ? Thanks to anyone willing to write few words

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
milan-prog, I made quite powerful DACs >500mW, for sensitive IEMs like yours they are useless. My DACs are inexpensive but anyway no reason to spend money for nothing, your IEM was designed to use with tiny powers. The high sensitivity of IEMs anyway sacrifices the sound quality, it is an unavoidable drawback. I recommend you to buy Meizu HiFi DAC for $20 and 30mW output, that DAC has a crazy performance/cost ratio, or simply stay with Android's 3.5mm jack. I measured my $300 Redmi K20 Pro 3.5mm jack output and there is very close power and THD as Meizu HiFi DAC does i.e. 50 times lower distortions than DF Cobalt DAC $300(or 10x times less vs Soundkey DAC for $100) as an example. In many cases, a modern Android's 3.5mm jack output is better than external DACs, and the different engineering level makes there a difference. Go to buy my DACs when you'll have decent open-back HP, better if planars, in that case, I guaranty the new audio-reality to you ;)

milan-prog

@IVX
Thank you for the fast reply.
Yes that's what i thought, I've tried S8F with some powerful sources and noticed no sound improvement just hiss, but I just wanted to check with you. You've just saved $ me not just buying your product which is not that much, but I was considering decent DAP as well.
Actually I'm very happy with Radsone ES100 + S8F performance but I'm just curious what's out there and how can I improve SQ.
3.5 phones output doesn't work for me because I'm getting unwanted noise there too. Huawei's Mate 9 dac is not that great with S8F, it's alright with every other iems I have.
Just out of the curiosity I will try Meizu looks like a good buy. Thanks for the rec.
I actually had HD660s and few other over ears which I sold because I live in very warm and humid country at seaside and rarely used them. That's why I became more IEM guy. If I get something power hungry in the future surely 9038s or its successor will be my first choice.
Cheers

milan-prog

Quick one please, I apologise for going off topic.

Meizu hifi dac standard or pro variant? Which one would be better?
As far as I've seen only difference between them is different chip and hi-res sticker.

mmicko

Quick one please, I apologise for going off topic.

Meizu hifi dac standard or pro variant? Which one would be better?
As far as I've seen only difference between them is different chip and hi-res sticker.
For iem with low impedance like yours (15 Ohm) looks Meizu Pro as a bit better solution, but the price is double vs Non Pro, so up to you ;-)
Maybe the prepared 9038D - single ended version with a bit lower power and most important HW volume control could be the solution for you...

Marantzian

Hi! New in here...

What a privilege being able to chat with the designer behind such great pieces of audio hardware.

I have a pair of questions for @IVX:

1. Any plans for an unbal version of the Powerdac?
2. Might the tapping volume control of the 9038D be disabled? I was thinking about some situations for what this feature could be unconvienent. Running, for example.

Again, what a pleasure in buying something you are given plenty of details (another audio personality with a similar philosophy is Douglas Self).

Long live to the THD plots and Spice simulations!

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
0) nothing is great around 9038S, it is trivial design, and if somebody made similar DACs worse, it is not because I'm semi-god. I know a few issues of 9038S which users don't like and it mostly Cimedia USB bridge problems(no volume control for Mac/iOS, the additional player app required, the loud noise when USB connection unstable -dusty USB-C connector). One issue related to my idea to keep output impedance crazy low, and now with high-sensitive IEMs may be noticeable EMI noises from a smartphone antenna, "static" noise.
1) I've some idea about to make PDv2 able to work with 3-wire interface as an additional mode, which will not guarantee the same sound performance though. After 9038D I'll think about it, however, if you feel that balanced cable for $20 it's a big deal, just buy something else, right?
2) Tap-tap interface is superstable and any acrobatic tricks are allowed.

Marantzian

1) I've some idea about to make PDv2 able to work with 3-wire interface as an additional mode, which will not guarantee the same sound performance though. After 9038D I'll think about it, however, if you feel that balanced cable for $20 it's a big deal, just buy something else, right?

Sorry, I don't get this. I don't have balanced headphones, hence my question about a future unbalanced version, pretty much like 9038D respect to S. I'm pretty new to this world and I don't understand your reference to the balanced cable. Moreover, since I haven't found anybody asking you for an unbalanced version of the PDv2 (as opposite to the 9038), I surely must have some misconceptions. I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I don't get this. I don't have balanced headphones, ...
... I surely must have some misconceptions ...
Yes you do! All headphones are inherently balanced. It is only because how they are wired to their plugs that makes them incompatible with balanced headphone amplifier.

Conventional (the vast majority of) headphones have the negative polarity of the left and right drivers wired together, so that they can use 3-contact TRS connectors (left +, right +, and left & right -). To take advantage of a balanced amplifier output, you will need to switch to a 4-contact TRRS connector.

If you headphones have detachable cables, you may be able to find balanced replacements. If not or if you want to DIY, you can replace and rewire the connector yourself.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of Grado SR60 headphones (hardwired). Mod seems a bit tricky since the earcups are glued:
For your Grado, it is probably much easier to perform the surgery at the plug end of the cable, since the Grado cable should be 4-conductor. I got the pinout of the 2.5 mm TRRS plug from the E1DA site.
plug.jpg

You can get the plugs from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/HTTX-Conduct...FX8KV108H1K&psc=1&refRID=T8K8XX5CKFX8KV108H1K

Marantzian

For your Grado, it is probably much easier to perform the surgery at the plug end of the cable, since the Grado cable should be 4-conductor. I got the pinout of the 2.5 mm TRRS plug from the E1DA site.

You can get the plugs from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/HTTX-Conduct...FX8KV108H1K&psc=1&refRID=T8K8XX5CKFX8KV108H1K

You are absolutely right, NTK. I didn't realize this would be the most straightforward way. I don't know why Grado doesn't terminate the cable with a 2.5mm TRRS jack, so conversion to unbalanced could be done with an adapter.

I've spent some time reading the whole story of the Powerdac in Diyaudio. I've seen it's primarly intended to drive planars, and Ivan advices that it could be not very suitable for dynamic phones, so, for my use case, I should better go with the 9038S and convert my Grados for balanced operation.

Thank you.

Veri

Master Contributor
I've spent some time reading the whole story of the Powerdac in Diyaudio. I've seen it's primarly intended to drive planars, and Ivan advices that it could be not very suitable for dynamic phones, so, for my use case, I should better go with the 9038S and convert my Grados for balanced operation.

Thank you.

PowerDAC and 9038S have the same high volume output. 9038S v2 does have an IEM mode though which is an improvement.
But, I'd simply advise to wait for 9038D a little longer, single ended version.

gustavjung

Hey guys, could you tell please, will this DAC or PowerDAC be a good fit for 50 ohm Senheiser HD598SE in order to replace my current Behringer UCA222? I have concerns redarding sound of UCA222, I have tested it in RMA loaded with HD598SE and results were not good.
I don't need more volume, just a better sound for my desktop PC. I listen only with headphones.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Hey guys, could you tell please, will this DAC or PowerDAC be a good fit for 50 ohm Senheiser HD598SE in order to replace my current Behringer UCA222?

Do you have a balanced 2.5mm cable for the HD598? because both devices mentioned need a 2.5mm connection.

Top Bottom