• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

Jukka

somebodyelse
recently I found that Raspberry Pi almost unique way to get spdif into USB, especially for 24/192. I need that for my old AP analyzer, which has spdif/aes the only option for digital output. Without such SPDIF/USB such digital feature 99% useless today. On another hand, if I'll buy Raspberry Pi I'll not able to resist and will design an inexpensive(because no housing, no assembling) DAC board with performance similar to 9038S/D.

If you do that, make sure that you can use RPi as a usb soundcard in Windows (power requirements should fall into pc-usb-levels with underclicking and only low cpu use). I tried and failed, although the software might have matured. If you can manage that, I'm very interested, although I need 4 channels of output.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If you do that, make sure that you can use RPi as a usb soundcard in Windows (power requirements should fall into pc-usb-levels with underclicking and only low cpu use). I tried and failed, although the software might have matured. If you can manage that, I'm very interested, although I need 4 channels of output.
For those that aren't aware, the details of the Windows 10 incompatibility are here. Ultimately it's a linux kernel bug, but so far it's only caused problems connecting to Windows.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
9038D Home DAC mode FFT looks gorgeous! SNR better than -123dbA, no stupid hump, and I hope I'll add there 32/384 + DSD256 ;)
9038D_FFT1k.PNG

Veri

Master Contributor
9038D Home DAC mode FFT looks gorgeous! SNR better than -123dbA, no stupid hump, and I hope I'll add there 32/384 + DSD256 ;)View attachment 36675
Wow..! Looks really good indeed. No hump, as well? Congrats ;) So what does the DAC mode do exactly? Is SNR better in this mode?
If you're looking into support for DSD, will there be another interface than C-Media? I thought it was impossible due to power draw :)

IVX

Major Contributor
yes, I try to get some application info for alternative USB audio bridges. I keep independent THD compensation values for each operation mode, however, only heavy loaded DAC+HPA needed for that compensation, and so far Home DAC mode has zero THD correction(no THD correction in that mode, pure 9038q2m performance). Normal and Performance modes have optimized for 32ohm load THD compensation values. SNR is the best for Fs=192k, and it is 123dbA. CM6642 is still better for current consumption but I want to try some bridge +20% more hungry but with 32/384 and DSD256.

Veri

Master Contributor
yes, I try to get some application info for alternative USB audio bridges. I keep independent THD compensation values for each operation mode, however, only heavy loaded DAC+HPA needed for that compensation, and so far Home DAC mode has zero THD correction(no THD correction in that mode, pure 9038q2m performance). Normal and Performance modes have optimized for 32ohm load THD compensation values. SNR is the best for Fs=192k, and it is 123dbA. CM6642 is still better for current consumption but I want to try some bridge +20% more hungry but with 32/384 and DSD256.
OK thanks for the info :) good luck with the new bridge!
PS, Performance mode is the one optimized for Fs=44k/48k, correct?

Veri

Master Contributor
and 96k too
Could you explain how it works? On aliexpress it says:
"THD performance optimized for Fs 44.1-48kHz but PLL lock slower and the first-second signal is muted."

It utilises the ESS THD compensation right? But why is it 44/48/96k specific? It's OK if you don't want to reveal any secrets ;) just wondering.

Last edited:
Reactions: IVX

VonGoethe

I just got my 9038s.
First impression is really amazing.
But unfortunately I have the following problems:
- If Tidal (Windows 10) is set to use the DAC in exclusive mode, I can't change the volume either in Tidal or with the Windows controls.
- This happens also under Android with USB Audio Player PRO in bit perfect mode: no more possibility to change the volume.

If I do something wrong, do I need a driver under Windows (Asio, WASAPI) and does Android run wrong?

Maybe someone has the same problems and can help me.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
literally just got this, but so far, listening to some tracks through balanced er4srs, it's superlative and i can't believe how small it is.

fyi, pixel 4 xl has no problem driving this with enough power for IEMs.

is the 9038d sounds this good, i can't see myself needing any other headphone amps like ever.

i now have a fiio k3 for sale.

headwhacker

Forum Donor
literally just got this, but so far, listening to some tracks through balanced er4srs, it's superlative and i can't believe how small it is.

fyi, pixel 4 xl has no problem driving this with enough power for IEMs.

is the 9038d sounds this good, i can't see myself needing any other headphone amps like ever.

i now have a fiio k3 for sale.
9038S made me use my phone(Note 10+) as a full time music player and ditch my DAP.

Having no mad slot is a deal breaker for with Pixel 4/XL

IVX

Major Contributor
to me 9038D sounds exactly the same but measured THD under <=32ohm looks better for 9038S, however, 9038D 1dbA better for S/N. Also, the idle current of 9038D is double i.e. 170mA vs 88mA for 9038S. About the cost, you know. In my opinion, fully differential aka balanced DAC like 9038S is optimal in the most respect.

Last edited:

EntropyAndDespair

Can i ask a simple and noob question here?
I am thinking about to get obravo cupid's with 1.2m OCC litz cable with gold plated 2.5mm balanced plug included. (i have no idea what cable it is)
This is a Planar Magnetic Driver iem. Should i take 9038S or power dac v2 ? I ve heard about crazy sound with iem and power of those little devices, can it be just too much, can it fry my iem?

Labjr

Major Contributor
@IVXI keeps making it better too. Hard to know when to jump in. I have an ESS based DAC I've been using for the past five years which is pretty good, so I'll probably continue to watch this whole thing play out. Now if he improves the balanced version with tap volume control and DSD it would be very tempting but then I'd have to buy some new headphones. :D

Top Bottom