• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
DSD Mode in most DACs does show better CCIF IMD figure. (https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac ) But this is all based on the files are recorded through components with better CCIF of -110db and no edit is allowed and no compression during the process. In real life no benefits whatsoever, only worse performance.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
theoretically, real DSD records should exist i.e. records without editing like Pope music label, which used two B&K mics, ADC and HD recorder or so, even no compressor or reverberators/mixers, nothing. However, I know only that label(BTW RIP) no one others go so extreme, and it was PCM 16/44.1. If somebody knows the same but in DSD, please give me the link, it should be worth to try.

maty

Major Contributor
Studio records were edited as a PCM, next converted to DSD, next you spend an hour to setup Foobar2000 DSD, next, in most cases, you have multibit-delta-sigma DAC.. So, do you believe if Foobar2000 DSD/PCM float point convertor worse than the other one inside of $3 DAC? Come on..
It reminds me MQA hype, lossy compressed audio similar to mp3, aac, aptx etc. The situation around MQA shows us how dramatically improved marketing for the last decades, and how it was stupid to call pale format mp3 but not SDAM(Super Duper Audio Mastering) to ask pay for the decoding ))

Je, you are writing about... the modern commercial music, aka music PRODUCTS. I am usually listen to music in my second audio system from analog masters and more than 80% are very good vinyl rips. Music made before 1980. With acoustic instruments and "natural" voices (without Autotune).

Only I like more DSD when is native. With classical live the sound is very good, without any studio processing. If not, I like more PCM 24/96 FLAC.

Try to enjoy quality orchestral music in MP3 format 320kbps. The key is to listen to music and not products.

It is like the discussion of minimal or linear phase in another thread, if you only listen to musical PRODUCTS with synthetic instrumentation and Autotune it will not make much sense discuss.

- End off topic -

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Maty, your personal taste has been noted.
Just realize not everyone is like you and can enjoy other recordings than the ones you prefer.
There is no right or wrong in musical taste.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Only if you directly rip from the tape. The vinyl is inferior in every single way. There is no "end of topic" you said it because you can't give any more evidence. Even with tape it's only arguably better than cd. It's no where near the performance of 24bit PCM. And DSD doesn't provide anything here.

Andy79

It's good to make the step back from time to time and realize that production quality is just one dimension of the joy music brings. If that was all, we were all listening to boring stuff of the hifi demo CDs. Some songs or genres are just making the production value less relevant (i.e. they sound crappier no matter the studio or mixing/mastering talent or gear that we listen to it on) but still are more powerful and rewarding than the perfectly produced smooth jazz track.

maty

Major Contributor
Yes,
Only if you directly rip from the tape. The vinyl is inferior in every single way. There is no "end of topic" you said it because you can't give any more evidence. Even with tape it's only arguably better than cd. It's no where near the performance of 24bit PCM. And DSD doesn't provide anything here.

The problem is are the modern recordings. I hear very few rips of vinyl from digital master, of course. But many times it happens that they have been more respectful, with greater / much greater dynamic range than their equivalent CD or SACD. Streaming? The current technology being far superior but the products that reach the consumer are of a worse sound quality than in the past.

I do not discuss musical tastes but the quality of the recordings.

The problem with native DSD is that there are very few recordings available, either in direct download or in SACD. Sometimes there are Japanese re-editions in SACD from old analog master that sound great.

- THE END -

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I do not discuss musical tastes but the quality of the recordings

I have heard many many excellent quality recordings that were made on digital equipment after 1980.
From that I would conclude that your preference is not based on actual facts but preferences and bias.

What does this all have to do with the 9038S one could wonder and why bring the same topic up in every thread ?

signalpath

Forum Donor
theoretically, real DSD records should exist i.e. records without editing like Pope music label, which used two B&K mics, ADC and HD recorder or so, even no compressor or reverberators/mixers, nothing. However, I know only that label(BTW RIP) no one others go so extreme, and it was PCM 16/44.1. If somebody knows the same but in DSD, please give me the link, it should be worth to try.

I think (not positive) that Morten at 2L offers pure DSD recordings. Signal path DPA (etc) mics to Millennia mic preamps to DAD DSD conversion. They've won many Grammys for engineering / production, especially 5.1 work.

Is DSD better than PCM? No conclusive evidence. In some blind A/B tests DSD comes out with slight advantage. Other blind tests, PCM is better. And sometimes no difference. I call it a statistical wash. I have pro industry friends working with DSD, so more power to them. It's all good.

Is DSD worth the trouble? For me, no. And, like you imply, in virtually all deliveries, DSD will be converted to PCM. This is especially true inside of today's DAC ICs -- as far as I know, all DAC IC's convert at least a portion of DSD to PCM before the modulator. There are only a handful of discrete DSD DACs that fully convert the raw DSD, and many of those units have inferior specifications (PS Audio Stream, etc.).

To date, I think the best performing discrete DSD DAC solution is my friend Bruno's "Mola Mola." By the way, IVX, I just ordered one of your headphone amps. Also waiting for a reply over on the DIY forum. Tks.

Last edited:

IVX

Major Contributor
signalpath
DSD is not too difficult to set up with Neutron player but quite complex with Foobar2000, hence, the problem is not about DSD but rather Foobar2000.
That's really cool when an engineer has such bright achievements that his given name "Bruno" automatically associated with Putzeys literally without variations. I call him master-Bruno, he never mind ))
What forum did you mention yet? If headfi.org, they don't let me post there anymore because I'm a "trader" now.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I've used DSD with Foobar and JRiver on my notebook without too much trouble. Used it on my phone too with Foobar a couple other apps which I forget.

Bixet

It says Gen 2 ;)

Clipboard01.jpg

Crane

Forum Donor
Just got my order that i did at end of august last week very impressive. Been using it with my tin p1 through my oneplus and its a perfect match.

Now just need to get a shorter usb c to c cable that will work for it.

Amazing job Ivan!!

headwhacker

Forum Donor
@IVX Can we place an order the 9038S gen 2 now from Aliexpress? Seems to be up now on E1DA store

IVX

Major Contributor
G2 look will be 100% the same as G1. Regarding the order, probably you can pay right now but we can ship stuff next few days anyway.
9038D is pretty much ready but I try to implement there stealth volume control, and now I try to decide:
a) fast release without volume control
b) late release with volume control
9038D housing extrusion is ordered, and today will pass to the CNC facility and anodize. Side caps punch tolling ordered too, I got samples this morning. I have to prepare new giftbox design and order bunch of 9083D giftbox.

Top Bottom