• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

mmicko

so, like Atari symbol + packman head :D
1568038040993.png
I got you ;)

brandall10

I just received this device yesterday and I'm not sure how to get my Macbook Pro to see it.

If I connect using the supplied cable I get the quick flickering indicating startup, then it flickers every second or so. I can stop it during that startup phase and see it cycle modes (second time there's no flickering, 3rd time it's a quick flicker). The issue is I Roon does not recognize the device in any mode and I'm not sure how to detect if my computer can actually see it at all. Any suggestions? Do I need to connect the second line w/ the supplied cable, is it not getting enough power?

Last edited:

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Hi, you probably use USB-C port of Macbook? In that case, you need to make so-called "Frankenstein" cable: Mac-> USB-C/USB-A adapter+USB-A/USB-C cable-> #9038S. G2 version has corrected HW and "Frankenstein" doesn't need anymore for USB-C(iOS device anyway need something, lightning/USB-A adapter for example). Try to discuss that in my discord channel where 260 users can help you with their experience https://discord.gg/xtNhB8

brandall10

That's unfortunate, I wasn't aware any special cabling was required unless trying to run in some sort of mock SE mode.

I'm having trouble following what the cable setup would look like. Are there any pictures in this thread?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Connect MAC via USBC port to:

61aywE25ksL._SL1500_.jpg

and connect this using a USBA to USBC cord to the DAC:

dce42986-f7d5-4565-b807-1a0627f1a9f7_1.4cee7437d6582c8fecb8b5fea5369233.jpeg

brandall10

Yes, this is exactly what I'm doing. Again, it's powering up and cycling through modes as connected to my MBP.

Attachments

• connections.JPG
    connections.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 521

mmicko

Important info is, that this cable combination you will put together (USB C on both sides) is working correctly only ONE way = if you swap the USB-C connectors between Mac and dac, then there will be voltage for dac ahd dac will turn on, but Mac will not recognize the device ...
From your description it looks like this situation. Try to swap cable ends between Mac and dac.

mmicko

Yes, this is exactly what I'm doing. Again, it's powering up and cycling through modes as connected to my MBP.
Ohhh now I see it and understand !
The kabel you connected to adapter and to MAC is intend for power bank (or extra source of power)
Use any USB-C male to USB A male cable, put USB-A end in the connector which is now free on your photo and put USB-C to your Mac (remove the short adapter)

Veri

Master Contributor
What you are missing is the data path on the female usb connector :) as has been clarified. IVX perhaps you should add a 'quick start guide' in future devices. Like a simple tiny manual. But then again next version will boot up much easier, right.

brandall10

Important info is, that this cable combination you will put together (USB C on both sides) is working correctly only ONE way = if you swap the USB-C connectors between Mac and dac, then there will be voltage for dac ahd dac will turn on, but Mac will not recognize the device ...
From your description it looks like this situation. Try to swap cable ends between Mac and dac.

Like this? Same issue unfortunately. Do I need to *also* connect the other line for extra bus power?

mmicko

Or as Ivan described - try to combine "standard" USN-A to USB-C cable with adapter and is should work.

brandall10

Last edited:

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Veri, I have discord channel about it ;) Where selforganized users every day teach me how to make my products better for them.
PS: It is not a joke. They always offer to change something and test for me the new models. If I had such users feedback 2 months ago my DAC would be better in terms of usability.

Top Bottom