• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

dropbear

fo

For XLR to RCA = 2-XLR to center pin RCA, 1-XLR to sleeve RCA
For RCA to XLR = centerpin RCA to 2-XLR and sleeve to 1+3 XLR.

These adapters do not work the other way around.
I was thinking about this a bit yesterday, electrically, will it be okay when we have one pin with an active signal to be NC? I am talking about XLR>RCA cable, more specifically about negative pin (pin 3).

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
5) Regarding THD #9038S seems to stay unbeatable. And cost-effective as well. Actually, can't realize why so many people want unbalanced 3.5mm if most of decent HP for sure balanced?

Most headphones sold today are unbalanced. People wouldn't want to buy a new headphone just for trying a new DAC/Amp. There is no easy way to convert balanced output to unbalanced input. My proposal would be to have 2 versions of your 9038S - with balanced and unbalanced output. You can then see for yourself which one will be selling better. BTW Great engineering work!

Veri

Master Contributor
Most headphones sold today are unbalanced. People wouldn't want to buy a new headphone just for trying a new DAC/Amp. There is no easy way to convert balanced output to unbalanced input. My proposal would be to have 2 versions of your 9038S - with balanced and unbalanced output. You can then see for yourself which one will be selling better. BTW Great engineering work!
The unbalanced is in the work :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A lot of the cleverness in this device is due to being balanced. That produces a lot more output which makes it suitable for many headphones. Take that away, i.e. provide 3.5 mm connection, and there may not be much value to set it apart from other devices.

If the cable is removable on your headphone, see if you can find a cheap balanced cable or make it yourself.

sajunky

A lot of the cleverness in this device is due to being balanced. That produces a lot more output which makes it suitable for many headphones.
The most important is a fact that it is easier to manufacture. Balanced I/V conversion is a part of ESS design. It is how they achieved low distortion figures. It makes easy to make a balanced output, as is already there. SE output would require additional opamps and we don't know how it would affect internal ground loops, it may require better filtering of PSU rails, etc..

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
sajunky
100% correct. That's why I didn't promise the same THD performance for the new 9038D. However, I already see a few db better S/N, because of lower noise opamp used in I/V stage, and 8397 works with lower gain. Also, I have to use 4 layers PCB instead of cheap 2 layers as 9038S + about 30% more part list, and very busy 2 side soldering SMD. So 3.5mm unbalanced isn't optimal at all, especially if a nice looking balance cable 2.5,mm/MMCX 1.2m 225mOhm/wire just $15.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I was thinking about this a bit yesterday, electrically, will it be okay when we have one pin with an active signal to be NC? I am talking about XLR>RCA cable, more specifically about negative pin (pin 3).
It is the only way unless you use a transformer

Reactions: PSO

Chilli

It is the only way unless you use a transformer

Could I take the 2.5mm output of the 9038S or PowerDAC into a transformer volume control with balanced inputs and then output to power amps on the stereo?

The PowerDAC v2 functions really interest me, though. Really cool functions.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Could I take the 2.5mm output of the 9038S or PowerDAC into a transformer volume control with balanced inputs and then output to power amps
You can connect the 9038 to any balanced input and headphone

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi Patrick:

I was following up @solderdude and @infinitesymphony comments about the possible conversion from the 2.5mm TRRS (Fiio or A&K) to 2 x XLR plugs, as I would like to be able to test this E1DA 9038S as USB DAC feeding the analog XLR inputs of my HK990 integrated stereo amplifier.
This option, if possible, would be in parallel to my current one, in which the Singxer F-1 USB-S/PDIF interface feeds the HK990 on-board DAC section.

However, still waiting the confirmation by @IVX @solderdude whether the said setup is feasible.

@Veri thank you for reassuring abt. the vendor Lunashops!
(I believe they can easily arrange customized items in terms of XLR pin arrangement and cable length.)

Yes this is possible
R+ to 2-XLR right channel
R- to 3-XLR right channel
L+ to 2-XLR left channel
L- to 3-XLR left channel

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Yes this is possible
R+ to 1-XLR right channel
R- to 3-XLR right channel
L+ to 1-XLR left channel
L- to 3-XLR left channel

Thank you!
Does this E1DA 9038S offer the 'DAC only mode'? I mean, is there any potential issue in feeding my integrated amplifier analog XLR inputs from the jack designed to power headphone ...

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thank you!
Does this E1DA 9038S offer the 'DAC only mode'? I mean, is there any potential issue in feeding my integrated amplifier on-board DAC from the jack designed to power headphone ...
No and no.

Peter Pan

I believe 3.5BRMS is enough for HD650, yes, power is not too big just 40mW but the sensitivity of HD650 >100db so I expect SPL level around 120db. I.e. as HFM HE400i, Phantom, LCD2 etc. Someone already reported in my discord channel about HD800s sounds "on spot" with my DAC so I think HD650 no problem.

Hi IVX,
Yes, it does have enough power for the HD650 in real life as well.

Peter Pan

does it work on android?

Yes it works with Android. Whether or not it works with you're phone will depend on the (possible) power output limitations on some brands. It works like a charm with my Galaxy S8. Battery drain is quite high though (as should be expected from a device with these specs).

Top Bottom