• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

solderdude

Grand Contributor
solderdude
I have explained the idea in the topic, also you can read about it in the original diyaudio topic https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/339484-ultimate-es9038q2m-board.html

Ah, I see the 2nd and 3rd harmonics compensation.
Wouldn't you need to install a pretty good ADC and distortion analyzer on the board for this to analyze these low levels, and a very accurate tone generator ?
How much lower can/will THD become when using the compensation ?
Are you aware of other manufacturers using this method on the fly ?

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I didn't start it yet but I hope I need just ok ADC for that, within a few dollars cost. Not sure about how much lower and the Idea isn't only in it, right? I'll able to build 2nd and 3rd harmonics close/similar to a particular tube device for instance. Just to bring more novelty and fun into the boring audio world. I never heard about that idea used before, only in APx555 ;)
PS: any idea why I should add a very accurate tone generator? I gonna use cheap $2 DSP like ADAU1761 QFN 5x5mm 24/56bit, and see no reason for something better.

Last edited:

IVX

Major Contributor
Ah, some clue regarding how much lower. #9038S using only 3rd harmonic compensation and only for such value which statistically can not make THD result overregulated. I.e. if #9038S would be adjusted individually 2nd and 3rd harmonics could be even lower. I have some room for that but don't believe if it could be audible.

IVX

Major Contributor
Also, if I want to bring THD measurement result into iOS/Android app, seems not bad idea to offer some registers control of the ES9038Q2M by the app. For instance, if someone believes the DAC is better in synchronous mode, he can try it to switch A/B online etc. A lot of ideas about how to make it more interesting, in fact, in each my pocket has 5pcs ))

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's one of the reasons I didn't design a DAC for G1217 (though he requested it a few times)
I do not see the value in adding 'just another DAC' with different looks.
Excellent performance can be bought for peanuts already.

I am all for doing something different as long as one also has the option to have 'optimal' performance.
Your dongle is a fun product because it is small and can supply 3.5V, is USB and supports enough formats.

For me further increasing performance is all moot.
It is all so far below any audible limits that it does not make sense to squeeze out the last bit of SINAD, noise or other aspect other than to reach a list of top performance.
Excellent is good enough, more excellence than excellent is fun for measurements and fame and glory but has little contribution to great sound.

For me guys like RME and Benchmark make worthwhile stuff with useful functions and absolute top performance with great service, connectivity, format support and functionality.

Last edited:

linesplice

Today I sent #9038Dv0 gerbers pack to make PCB samples. Next few days will try it. I have added:

5) Regarding THD #9038S seems to stay unbeatable. And cost-effective as well. Actually, can't realize why so many people want unbalanced 3.5mm if most of decent HP for sure balanced?

Maybe I didn't catch the question but perhaps for IEM's? I don't know of too many balanced ones.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I would like to see a state of the art DSP system capable of doing room correction and stereo 4 channel crossover with 8 channel DAC output to use with Linkwitz LX521 speaker system. Mainly because I think the digital offerings thus far have not outperformed the analog active crossover. Perhaps a properly engineered DSP crossover paired with several channels of Bruno Putzeys new Purifi amps would be a killer combination that's hard to beat.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
It's one of the reasons I didn't design a DAC for G1217 (though he requested it a few times)

For me guys like RME and Benchmark make worthwhile stuff with useful functions and absolute top performance with great service, connectivity, format support and functionality.
The RME ADI-2 DAC costs 15x the estimated price of IVX's DAC and the Benchmark DAC3 HGC costs 30x the price. Not peanuts!

With a case, the Khadas Tone Board costs in the neighborhood of 2x the price.

If IVX's DAC had a 3.5mm line output it would represent a sweet spot. With balanced line output it would be unique in its price range.

Tks

Major Contributor

I said this long ago. Performance is going to be the bare minimum going forward for most devices. In a few years these old audiophool distortion lovers will give their last breath, and their boutique worship of magic will go with them.

The differentiating factors will be thing as you allude to: Useful complimentary functions, DSP, EQ, memory profiles, etc...

RME already is lightyears ahead of literally everyone on this metric, and that happened long ago with their first ADI 2. I still can't understand why companies are this blind to not see how far they've fallen behind in this respect. Especially the buffoons selling $10,000+ halo products and whatnot.

Heck even the companies out of Asia have slowly been incorporating things like Bluetooth inputs (5.0 BT even), decent screens, decent remotes for certain functions, etc...

The reason the E1DA is great, is it also provides something sort of like a feature. That being: the ridiculously nice and small size.

I hope the concept and idea from the PowerDAC V2 make their way into the next version of the E1DA (that iOS/Android app to control PEQ was an awesome idea). Things like that are the future in terms of competition, more and more coalescence of previously exclusive functions/devices. No one is particularly concerned in the consumer market for greater than -120db SINAD for example once that is finally reached (not that 110 is bad or even 100 at the end of the day really).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The RME ADI-2 DAC costs 15x the estimated price of IVX's DAC and the Benchmark DAC3 HGC costs 30x the price. Not peanuts!

With a case, the Khadas Tone Board costs in the neighborhood of 2x the price.

If IVX's DAC had a 3.5mm line output it would represent a sweet spot. With balanced line output it would be unique in its price range.

correct... the RME and Benchmark stuff us not for peanuts but the top end of what is 'needed'.
Especially the functionality and technicalities of the RME is what sets it apart from the 'ordinary stuff'.
I think it is pointless to pay more for a DAC than this.
Benchmark is actually a bit too expensive for my taste but measures and performs very well.

IVX can also be used with balanced line-out that's what I meant with it does something different.
There are already well performing dongles with 3,5mm outputs.

Last edited:

headwhacker

Forum Donor
I said this long ago. Performance is going to be the bare minimum going forward for most devices. In a few years these old audiophool distortion lovers will give their last breath, and their boutique worship of magic will go with them.

I hope it's that simple. Them distortion lovers preach and multiply. Just like flat-earthers, they just don't go away.

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
IVX can also be used with balanced line-out that's what I meant with it does something different.
I may have misinterpreted the conversation about this earlier in the thread but I thought this device only worked to power 2.5mm balanced headphones -- is there a way to adapt to two 1/4" TRS or XLR line outputs?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I may have misinterpreted the conversation about this earlier in the thread but I thought this device only worked to power 2.5mm balanced headphones -- is there a way to adapt to two 1/4" TRS or XLR line outputs?

I had the same doubt / question after reading @solderdude comment ... but had no time to ask him, thank you for doing that.

Like this: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5241

1566228269351.png

Last edited:

Rem

I am unsure how the 3.5mm version would perform but if it can measure somewhat similar to what the 2.5mm version is it would definitely still represent good value since many 3.5mm dongle/portable dac+amps do not measure as well while giving as much power without spending 3-4 times as much at least. It's all hopeful that the 3.5mm does give enough power. The 2.5mm itself is a good concept though, just that I don't see many balanced headphones out there for my use.

Then again I could be missing one that I am overseeing or do not know about.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
@solderdude (I believe it was him) is right: It does not make sense to join the crowd and deliver one more almost great 3.5mm se dongle. There are practical reasons why these deliver 6 dB less power (se), so nothing to gain here.

Reactions: PSO

graz_lag

Major Contributor
For connecting a balanced headphone this would be the choice imo : http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=6054

Hi Patrick:

I was following up @solderdude and @infinitesymphony comments about the possible conversion from the 2.5mm TRRS (Fiio or A&K) to 2 x XLR plugs, as I would like to be able to test this E1DA 9038S as USB DAC feeding the analog XLR inputs of my HK990 integrated stereo amplifier.
This option, if possible, would be in parallel to my current one, in which the Singxer F-1 USB-S/PDIF interface feeds the HK990 on-board DAC section.

However, still waiting the confirmation by @IVX @solderdude whether the said setup is feasible.

@Veri thank you for reassuring abt. the vendor Lunashops!
(I believe they can easily arrange customized items in terms of XLR pin arrangement and cable length.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom