• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

Nango

Major Contributor
Well, we all here know what @amirm thinks about tubular sound, let's wait until he judges on sound sig(s). I think, he won't like it.

@IVX Having read yours I think he should have tested all 3 modi.

@IVX Try again the Amazon distribution channel pls, don't think the Alibaba setup will work for EU citizens.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
@IVX , so question I have is would this work properly with a 2.5mm TRRS to RCA Left + RCA Right cable to connect to a higher powered headphone amp such as the JDS Atom ?

Would there be issues with output from this unit ?

Thanks.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
@IVX , so question I have is would this work properly with a 2.5mm TRRS to RCA Left + RCA Right cable to connect to a higher powered headphone amp such as the JDS Atom ?

Would there be issues with output from this unit ?

Thanks.
Are JDS Atom's inputs are true differential(no one of RCA's pins isn't GND coupled and no one RCA's pin is tied to another) and DC decoupled? If so, you can. For instance, my proto amp has such RCA inputs, inner and outer RCA pins have 5kOhm impedance, it works with any balanced outputs including #9038S but needed to add GND_9038 to GND_Amp wire(crocodile clamp to #9038S's USB-C for example). It hard way for most users, I believe.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Are JDS Atom's inputs are true differential(no one of RCA's pins isn't GND coupled and no one RCA's pin is tied to another) and DC decoupled? If so, you can. For instance, my proto amp has such RCA inputs, inner and outer RCA pins have 5kOhm impedance, it works with any balanced outputs including #9038S but needed to add GND_9038 to GND_Amp wire(crocodile clamp to #9038S's USB-C for example). It hard way for most users, I believe.

Thanks, will have to ask the JDS guys on this. I'm trying to recall the name at this point ... :p

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thanks, will have to ask the JDS guys on this. I'm trying to recall the name at this point ... :p

IVX said: Are JDS Atom's inputs are true differential(no one of RCA's pins isn't GND coupled and no one RCA's pin is tied to another) and DC decoupled?

JDS Atom's inputs are not differential.
The RCA's pins are GND coupled and both RCA's pin are tied to another so you can't (as I already have explained because you must not tie 2 active outputs together)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@IVX So he randomly hit the mode with no hump? Well, ok........
I plugged it in and tested. There are no buttons to change modes.
I just checked and the ground on both RCA terminals on Atom are connected together (as is commonly done). So no, you can't feed it with 9038S.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
amirm
I used Easter-Eggs approach(gaming term) to switch these modes. When #9038S just turned On, the LED(BTW, intentionally selected close to 1200K color temperature to match with tube's cathode) starts very fast flashing. This is a magic time if you interrupt that flashing(taking Off #9038S from USB), you switching "Normal" mode to "Performance" mode. Next time, if you'll interrupt that, "Performance" mode will be switched to "SE" mode(THD 1/4% and only one 2nd harmonic there) etc in cycling Normal>Performance>SE>Normal>Performance...
When USB has no audio data, Performance mode makes LED flashing 2times/S, SE mode 1time/S, Normal has no flashing LED just always On.

Last edited:

muths66

IVX thanks for your beautiful nice powerful item.
IMG_20190815_011605.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm I think you have a typo.

"Seems like we have found our second designer (after Topping) which has figured out how to concur this aspect of ESS implementation. "

Surely you mean conquer?
Fixed. :)

Top Bottom