• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

Dront

Hello! Are therу 4 modes of operation on 9038D as it was on 9038S? And how to shitch this modes on 9038D. Is there any fimrare updates, and how to know when a new update arrives? ))

cqtek

Hello @IVX.

Thank you very much for your clarifications.
The image with a sinusoidal with 1% THD is very eloquent and highly useful. As you can see, my current oscilloscope does not have the resolution of your application and my sound card does not support so much power, getting saturated much sooner. I would like to have some other alternative to use with REW, but I have to test if any of my DACs can act as a line input capable of being used with REW.
Going back to #9030D, the first thing I want to tell you is that the resistors used are 33 Ohms (3W), in the last posted image you can see its measure with the multimeter. I put it back so you can see it.
Now I hang the measurements made with No Load, both with the oscilloscope, and with the multimeter. For the multimeter measurement, I have used pure sine waves from 1kHz to 100Hz, because I know that the multimeter does not measure in alternate, beyond this figure. The measurement taken is stable in this range from 100Hz to 1kHz.
You can see that the signal is clearly clean.
Another important fact is that I use Audacity to create the pure sinusoidal tones of amplitude 1 in mono, 96kHz FLAC.

IMG-20201217-183412.jpg

IMG-20201217-183153.jpg

IMG-20201217-183153-c.jpg

IMG-20201217-183412.jpg

2020-12-17-185418.png

Finally, I cannot measure the USB output of my PC, but having tested it on USB 2.0 ports, as in USB 3.0 without differences, I think you can understand that the voltage is 5V.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
cqtek
I also use Audacity, it is fine. I didn't mention another factor that limits the power of OPA1622, it is the temperature of die. In fact, a few seconds of sine enough to make it hot and 1622 will reduce the current limit, however, typical crest factor =3 music will not heat the die significantly.

spirosgon

Hi to all,

been watching this excellent forum, for the last year or so.

Registered to ask somenthing simple : I 'm from Greece and a Chinese partner and friend that knows how much I'm into the headfi, send me an E1DA 9038S GEN3 as a Christmass gift. I 'm happy to just receive it and I 'm looking forward to return home tonight and test it with my HiFiMan Devas... already got the 3,5=>2,5 balanced cable.

My question is that I have also received a little circuit board, as per the photo. Don't have a clue, what this one could be.

Could you help ?

Attachments

• 4d1039f82c1bedf4d4476673df6d2c73.jpg
    4d1039f82c1bedf4d4476673df6d2c73.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 325

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi to all,

been watching this excellent forum, for the last year or so.

Registered to ask somenthing simple : I 'm from Greece and a Chinese partner and friend that knows how much I'm into the headfi, send me an E1DA 9038S GEN3 as a Christmass gift. I 'm happy to just receive it and I 'm looking forward to return home tonight and test it with my HiFiMan Devas... already got the 3,5=>2,5 balanced cable.

My question is that I have also received a little circuit board, as per the photo. Don't have a clue, what this one could be.

Could you help ?
It is just a little Easter egg gift ;)

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@IVX what's your preferred vendor for the 9038d?

also, does anyone have a source for a 2-3" c-c braided cable? the old cable that came with the 9038s was way too stiff for me

McRyan

Hi, is that possible? PC (USB) -> 9038SG3 / 9038D -> 2 bi-amplified near-field monitors (XLR)

Last edited:

rdo

@IVX Is it possible to PEQ the #9038D with the Tweak application or any other method?
I've begin to appreciate equalizers thanks to the Amir headpone reviews

Last edited:

XeCutor

I think I'm right in saying that the 9038D is just a dac and headphone amplifier. Depending on what you hook it up to you can apply EQ before the signal reaches the 9038. I use EqualizerAPO (Peace interface addon recommended) for Windows and Wavelet for Android, both work fine and I'm using the 9038D with EqualizerAPO as I write this. For other platforms others will have to chime in with options, these are the only I use for audio.

rdo

I think I'm right in saying that the 9038D is just a dac and headphone amplifier. Depending on what you hook it up to you can apply EQ before the signal reaches the 9038. I use EqualizerAPO (Peace interface addon recommended) for Windows and Wavelet for Android, both work fine and I'm using the 9038D with EqualizerAPO as I write this. For other platforms others will have to chime in with options, these are the only I use for audio.

Yes, i also use EqualizerAPO and Wavelet, but i think it would be much more convenient and with better sound quality to have the equalizer applied directly by the DAC.

Top Bottom