• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
both my DACs was developed in sound quality priority, so I add to the tiny #9038S PCB, 3 pcs tantalum capacitors 1000uF/10V(actual capacitance 1400uF so I soldered only 2pcs for now), 2mm hight(just 2-3 years ago such low-profile caps didn't exist). That caps make some inrush current and not all Androids swallow it. I could save $3 and don't solder these 2 caps at all but you'll never see such good specs anymore. I could implement some soft-start but I definitely have no room for that on the PCB 46x20mm. And actually, your Android anyway will off its USB 5V power rail iv #9038S will draw some decent current for 550+550mW@16ohm. So, viva Y-splitter! Amen.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
both my DACs was developed in sound quality priority, so I add to the tiny #9038S PCB, 3 pcs tantalum capacitors 1000uF/10V(actual capacitance 1400uF so I soldered only 2pcs for now), 2mm hight(just 2-3 years ago such low-profile caps didn't exist). That caps make some inrush current and not all Androids swallow it. I could save $3 and don't solder these 2 caps at all but you'll never see such good specs anymore. I could implement some soft-start but I definitely have no room for that on the PCB 46x20mm. And actually, your Android anyway will off its USB 5V power rail iv #9038S will draw some decent current for 550+550mW@16ohm. So, viva Y-splitter! Amen.
So needs an external power supply to work with Android?

drumline1997

Been a lurker here for a long time and very much admired the data that Amir puts out. Great job @IVX this looks like a great product and a real game changer. Any rough idea when this will be available and what the distribution methods will be? Best of luck, this product looks fantastic.

IVX

Major Contributor
I sell my DACs directly via paypal and just today got opened aliexpress E1DA. I've got 4 offers from distributors already but only Linsoul looked realistic to me so far. Actually, I asking myself, why between you and me should be someone else and ask +30%? I'm not totally against of that but just wondering. Maybe 30 years ago, yes, it was necessary but today, when worldwide connections so short? I'm an engineer, I like to see the root cause.

drumline1997

I sell my DACs directly via paypal and just today got opened aliexpress E1DA. I've got 4 offers from distributors already but only Linsoul looked realistic to me so far. Actually, I asking myself, why between you and me should be someone else and ask +30%? I'm not totally against of that but just wondering. Maybe 30 years ago, yes, it was necessary but today, when worldwide connections so short? I'm an engineer, I like to see the root cause.
I would generally agree. You would have to do the math on if Linsoul would really be able to market and push the device to enough people to be able to make up for the 30% they would take, but I think it would be hard to be able estimate something like that. Also have to consider whatever other stipulations they would put in the contract. If your happy with the current distribution method and the demand is not blowing supply out of the water I don't see a reason to change.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Generally, its advantageous to push out as much volume as you can and get in as much revenue as you can early in your product cycle. It provides the basis for you to expand your company quickly in terms of resources as well as market share. Not forgetting the resources saved from having to spend time liasing directly with customers and servicing them versus servicing a handful of distributors while your manpower resources are limited.

Only when you have established a firm revenue base, then you look at direct selling. That's what I have seen and logically, seems to work for a lot of companies.

To Add:
For young companies, cashflow is paramount. Do give it some consideration.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you can sign up to have Amazon stock it with Prime shipping, that has a lot of value. I always hesitate to buy things from China that will take a while to get here. With something this small and light, the cost is minimal: https://services.amazon.com/fulfillment-by-amazon/pricing.htm

1565848029278.png

Veri

Master Contributor
PS guys I saw this on diyaudio forum: the 3.5mm version is in the works:

The same PCB size 46x20mm, I hope the same or similar power >500mW@16ohm, the same or better DR, SNR (I expect -124dbA), and I hope similar THD figures about .0002%.

THW

Forum Donor
To Add:
For young companies, cashflow is paramount. Do give it some consideration.

I’d say cashflow is important for all companies (there’s a reason why the supermarket business is so profitable), but yes this is otherwise correct

Jimster480

Major Contributor
s I saw this on diyaudio forum: the 3.5mm version is in the works:

The same PCB size 46x20mm, I hope the same or similar power >500mW@16ohm, the same or better DR, SNR (I expect -124dbA), and I hope similar THD figures about .0002%.

I will be quick to buy one when it comes out.

Nango

Major Contributor

Nango

Major Contributor
@IVX Usually importeurs do a lot more than just receiving 30%. If you sold 1,000 units into EU it would be better in terms of climate change to send them at once to the distributer in EU than 1000x each unit to it's customer.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

I suspect SINAD and distortion to be higher and maybe even includes the IM hump as well.
When he uses a summing opamp he may even get rid of the IM hump.
Power in low impedances will be 1/4 (half the output voltage) The max output power is limited because of the supply voltage and not enough room to include a charge pump with enough power on that PCB.

Tks

Major Contributor
Hmm, that iOS/Android app from the PowerDac V2, would that one day be usable with this device or another version of it?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @IVX

Are you using the asynchronous mode SRC (ASRC) inside the ES9038Q2M with this DAC?

Or are you using synchronous mode SRC with this DAC, bypassing the internal ASRC?

kniff

I'm sorry for off-topic, but do you have an idea when HiFiTOY will be available for purchase? Maybe let Amir get his hands on this piece of equipment too for review?

FDA/PowerDAC's are the future! :)

IVX

Major Contributor
I watching how my current business of trivial things, SUB/DACs, going on, and next I will decide will I give it up or let it be. 1 year ago I had the idea to start from HiFiTOY but next realized how it could be difficult and designed a couple of simple devices PDv2 and #9038S. Also, I scared by the prospect to sell something over $100 due to E1DA is noname so far.

kniff

I watching how my current business of trivial things, SUB/DACs, going on, and next I will decide will I give it up or let it be. 1 year ago I had the idea to start from HiFiTOY but next realized how it could be difficult and designed a couple of simple devices PDv2 and #9038S. Also, I scared by the prospect to sell something over $100 due to E1DA is noname so far.

I wonder, people who look for these type of products (high performance, low cost) - do they care as much about brand? I'm not so sure.

Still, i understand what you are saying. Keep uo the good work!

Top Bottom