• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

FiToS

Hey guys, is there any news about the HiFiTOY? I am really looking forward to it.

Artaois

Has anyone plugged any E1DA device into a PlayStation 4 to see if it's reconized? Looking for a simple USB solution that will also hopefully work with the upcoming PS5 because it's losing its optical out last I heard.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Has anyone plugged any E1DA device into a PlayStation 4 to see if it's reconized? Looking for a simple USB solution that will also hopefully work with the upcoming PS5 because it's losing its optical out last I heard.
It's been confirmed by a member of the Discord server that the 9038S G2 works with the PS4. I would assume that the G3 therefore works as well, but I cannot say for sure.

gcompari

Some questions to ask IVX:
- Can I use the drivers (from you site) for the #9038S-G3 with the #9038S-G2? (I need to use G2 with a Win 7 PC...)
- May you post a THD vs. frequency plot for #9038-G2 with 32ohm load, 0dBFS?
- May you post a crosstalk vs. frequency plot for #9038-G2 with 32ohm load, 0dBFS?
Thanks.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
3) at 20kHz -125db, 20Hz at the noise floor level i.e. -150db or so.
2020-08-17_11-59-31.png

gcompari

2) If 0 dBFS is to high for #9038S with 32ohm load, is it possible to see the THD (or SINAD) vs. frequency (12Hz-24kHz, 96/24) at 2Vrms?

3) May you tell me the load of the crosstalk plot that you published? Is it 32ohm for both channels?

Other questions to IVX:
- 4) is the metal case of the #9038 connected to the ground? I tried to measure the resistance between the case and the USB connector, but the case is protected by a nonconducting film
- 5) with Foobar 2k and WASAPI, I can't play 88.2kHz, 176.4kHz sampling rates: what do I miss?
- 6) with Foobar 2k and WASAPI, I can use only "push" but not "event" mode: is it correct?
- 7) some time ago you say:
Go to buy my DACs when you'll have decent open-back HP, better if planars, in that case, I guaranty the new audio-reality to you ;)
From the attached files, what HP do you think is better, HP1 or HP2? (please evaluate the "raw" freq.resp.: I don't trust the HK curve)

Attachments

• HP1(a).png
    HP1(a).png
    65.8 KB · Views: 90
  • HP1(b).png
    HP1(b).png
    71 KB · Views: 88
  • HP1(c).png
    HP1(c).png
    33.6 KB · Views: 92
  • HP2(a).png
    HP2(a).png
    58.6 KB · Views: 84
  • HP2(b).png
    HP2(b).png
    73.6 KB · Views: 85
  • HP2(c).png
    HP2(c).png
    29.1 KB · Views: 77

gcompari

Please forget (6): I have the problem that #9038S lose some seconds at the start of a track whan I change sampling frequency, but I can use "event" and "push" modes with Fobbar 2k/WASAPI with your product. The WASAPI "mode" was related to Meizu HiFi DAC and Meizu HiFi DAC Pro: they doesn't work with "event" mode...

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
gcompari
you asked me to check the crosstalk at 32ohm(originally it was measured at 16ohm) I did that. Sorry, I have no time to investigate all your frequency responses, you can try to ask that in our discord channel. 88 and 176k are not supported, that's stupid and that's why G3 got Comtrue USB audio bridge.

Last edited:

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
Would the 9038S (G3) be a better option compared to the Topping NX4 when using out of a laptop? According to these measurements, it's got more power and is cheaper. I may actually wait for the upcoming 9083D for the convenience of 3.5mm unbalanced.

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
@DivineCurrent do you have 2.5mm compatible headphones? If yes then yeah it's a great option.
Yeah I do, and I was actually going to build a few 2.5mm cables to use with the FiiO Q1 anyway, but this is smaller and has twice the power of the FiiO!

gcompari

gcompari
you asked me to check the crosstalk at 32ohm(originally it was measured at 16ohm) I did that. Sorry, I have no time to investigate all your frequency responses, you can try to ask that in our discord channel. 88 and 176k are not supported, that's stupid and that's why G3 got Comtrue USB audio bridge.

So if I get G3 I get also:
- 88.2, 176.4 (352.8?)
- drivers for Win 7, 8.x and 10
is it correct?

Sorry to disturb you with my questions, but (7) about HP1 and HP2 was a "rhetorical question": IMHO the HP2 is far better than HP1.
These plots are from Inner Fidelity website: it's the only source I found for reliable measures about headphones (I hope that @amirm may find a system to test HPs as soon as possible. I hope also that @amirm will include crosstalk on low impedance load in its standard test, something about "stability", like full range 10kHz square wave on a inductive load, for example 32ohms in parallel with 0.5uF and a slew rate measure).

HP1 is an HiFiman H400e, this is the HP I found most similar to the HP I saw in your video about #9038D: please note I am not an expert of planar HPs. I have red only plots from Inner Fidelity website. However also Audeze and other planar HPs give similar results.
HP2 is the Sennheiser CX 1.00 IEM.

I think we are speaking about a 400$ planar HP vs. 20$ IEM. You don't consider all of us that are using IEM because your DAC+HeadAmp is only for planar and high impedance HP, but we are all searching for a good product for our IEM or unbalanced low impedance HPs and your product may be the solution, because its very low output impedance, very good performances and high portability. The very high "output level"/"gain excess" and the balance limitation are big issues for most users.
After I saw the Inner Fidelity test of Sennheiser CX 1.00 and CX 2.00 (and tried them), I put in a box my Sennheiser HD-600 that is now covered by dust. I don't like to use something "IN" my hears, but the difference of performances is so much that after listening these IEM, I can't go back to HD-600.
I think you have to reconsider the @raanany suggestions about a gain control of 9038S/D: you may sell 100x or more products if you add the analog gain control: perhaps in substitution of "modes" that we leave to "normal" in the 99% o cases. Having a very high gain/output level w/o an analog (ev. digitally controlled) volume is only losing bits (i.e. rising quantization errors) for each sample, whereas with a higher negative feedback loop gain you can even rise the specs/performances of the #9038x.

Please note that yours "portable" DAC+HeadAmp solutions, is very significant if used in a true "portable" solution. Planar HPs and high impedance HP (like Sennheiser HD-6xx, HD-7xx and HD-8xx) aren't very useful "portable" solutions.

I hope you may insert some of our requests in the #9038D that we are all waiting: I had to convert (i.e. destroy) a couple of CX 1.00 to "balanced" to test my #9038S and it wasn't very simple... The 90% of existent HPs are unbalanced, so the #9038S limitation is very problematic for most of us.
If the HP L/R cables are separated until the 3,5mm jack (as happens with many Sennheiser products) there aren't true reasons to use balanced connections: problems only.

I scratched the case of my #9030S-G2 (beacause, w/o 88.2kHz & 176.4kHz support,it is near useless for me: the 90% of my HiRes files are PCM converted from SACDs) from my trivial trials I think that the case is not connected to the ground: probably, to solve EMI problems, is better to start to ground the case/shield of the #9038x: from my reminiscence of the university electromagnetism exams, a not-grounded shield is an "antenna" for EMI . Please note that non-ferromagnetic shield (as aluminium) don't stop EMI very well. A ferromagnetic metal case will better to stop EMI
(aluminium is better than nothing, also because its better conductivity).

I hope you can solve another issue that is the problem about the lose of many seconds at the start of tracks with Foobar2k/WASAPI when you switch between different sampling rate files: it's a very annoying problem.

We are waiting for #9038D: please don't suggest us to get a Meizu HiFi DAC ("Pro" or/and "not pro") because it doesn't work with WASAPI "event" mode and its crosstalk @32ohms load is disappointing, whereas your product is absolutely top level as showed by your plot.

If you'll realize a Meizu-like DAC+HeadAmp (Crystal chips) with a "serious" crosstalk, I'll put my order today for my sample.

P.S: a more flexible/thinner USB-C to USB-C cable and a USB-C to USB-A adapter are very useful options to add to your #9038x products. The "Y" cable, with "softstart", is losing importance.

Top Bottom