• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
does anyone else have noise issues from EMI interference? eg if i put it close to my macbook's charging cable, i get very audible noises that go away when i move the unit.

also, how does one control volume in macos? when i plug it in and go to the audio settings, set the "spdif" unit as my output, it immediately goes to full volume and greys out the volume control.

Fabio

does anyone else have noise issues from EMI interference? eg if i put it close to my macbook's charging cable, i get very audible noises that go away when i move the unit.

also, how does one control volume in macos? when i plug it in and go to the audio settings, set the "spdif" unit as my output, it immediately goes to full volume and greys out the volume control.

From cellphone whenever the signal drops and the the radio raise the power I get noise. But I can only hear it without music playing. Plane mode solve this immediately.

esm

Forum Donor
Yep, tons of EMI from my phone. Tends to cluster in bursts due to how the phone communicates with the cell tower, so I've just lived with it so far.

esm

Forum Donor
but the cable probably not.
Ah! I hadn't even considered that, which gives me something to look into; the (very cheap) IEM cable is new, and probably insufficient.

(I don't recall hearing this problem with my larger cans, all of which have well-shielded cables, so this seems likely to be the problem. Thanks for the hint!)

headwhacker

Forum Donor
Ah! I hadn't even considered that, which gives me something to look into; the (very cheap) IEM cable is new, and probably insufficient.

(I don't recall hearing this problem with my larger cans, all of which have well-shielded cables, so this seems likely to be the problem. Thanks for the hint!)
Larger cans are somewhat less sensitive than iems. So generally they are more immune. A cable can act like an antenna hence, picking up a signal. I can hear it only if no sound is playing and if there is an incoming message. Otherwise it's very faint noise which does not bother me.

Chipless

Just received the Gen 2 version of the E1DA 9038s, and attempted to connect it to my Macbook Pro's USB-A port using an adapter cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012V56D2A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but I don't think it's recognizing the DAC properly. The audio output it shows is labeled "SPDIFS" and I can't control the volume. Any suggestions? I thought a "Frankenstein cable" wasn't needed with the Gen 2, so hopefully there is an easy solution. Thanks for any help you can provide!

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Yep, it is "officially" SPDIF, all is correct. Does exist Apple related problem with the external DACs volume control and a few ways to manage it as well. I recommend you to join our discord channel to find all of these solutions and discuss all at all with >600 E1DA users https://discord.gg/3wsncZ

headwhacker

Forum Donor
Just received the Gen 2 version of the E1DA 9038s, and attempted to connect it to my Macbook Pro's USB-A port using an adapter cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012V56D2A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but I don't think it's recognizing the DAC properly. The audio output it shows is labeled "SPDIFS" and I can't control the volume. Any suggestions? I thought a "Frankenstein cable" wasn't needed with the Gen 2, so hopefully there is an easy solution. Thanks for any help you can provide!
9038S does not have volume control built-in. You have to control volume in software. As mentioned, join the discord channel for details.

Veri

Master Contributor
You can use a software mixer like Soundflower to route the audio to the E1DA and have volume control.

olinko

I'm a complete dunce for these things, can I use the 9038s just as a DAC and connect it to the SMSL SP200? I'm guessing I would need a... 2.5 mm to 2 3-pin XLR? I use the USB to connect it to the computer, right?
1573387903288.png

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm a complete dunce for these things, can I use the 9038s just as a DAC and connect it to the SMSL SP200? I'm guessing I would need a... 2.5 mm to 2 3-pin XLR? I use the USB to connect it to the computer, right?
View attachment 38395
It should work, I mailed Ghent audio to make such a cable and I had no problems using it.
But might be more prudent to wait for 9038d which has Home DAC mode and use 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Zoide

Is there no 9038S with HomeDAC mode for use with balanced amps?

Veri

Master Contributor
Is there no 9038S with HomeDAC mode for use with balanced amps?
Home DAC mode will only be 9038d. But there's nothing stopping you using 9038s/PWDv2 as DAC. I did and worked fine.
You just really need the correct 2.5mm to XLR cable, with third pin floating and not shorting out anything.

Zoide

Home DAC mode will only be 9038d. But there's nothing stopping you using 9038s/PWDv2 as DAC. I did and worked fine.
You just really need the correct 2.5mm to XLR cable, with third pin floating and not shorting out anything.
Didn't IVX say there were 2 cases of people burning things out by doing that?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Didn't IVX say there were 2 cases of people burning things out by doing that?

Believe that those people connected the 2.5mm output to RCA connectors on their amps.

Top Bottom