• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

luisma

Forum Donor
It's time we wise up and ditch DSD for what it is, a highly convoluted way to introduce further problems into your sound listening!
Anyone who has wide-band amplifiers and loudspeakers, I do, should be VERY wary of DSD. The possibility that DSD will introduce potentially VERY high levels of noise up in the 30k-60khz range should be taken very SERIOUSLY.

Totally agree @DownUnderGazza although good implementations of DSD converters hide (dithering) the noise over 100 khz but PCM is ideal. Now DS DACs during the conversion it is my understanding PCM is converted to a digital stream anyways (not exactly pure DSD) but conversion happens. I personally don't use DSD, with a multibit R2R DAC PCM sounds better anyways and it is intended for that effect.
Now if you care to comment and also @IVX and this is a bit OT (but not much) DACs like the RME ADI which support direct DSD, wouldn't the use of DSD be preferred in that case? or should we make the argument that direct DSD DACs should not exist in the first place?

luisma

Forum Donor
Hi @IVX the HiFiToy when is it planned to be out? the bi/tri amping on your page means you could cascade the amps from a single source? Thanks

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
Now if you care to comment and also @IVX and this is a bit OT (but not much) DACs like the RME ADI which support direct DSD, wouldn't the use of DSD be preferred in that case? or should we make the argument that direct DSD DACs should not exist in the first place?
Personally I think about the only claim you can make for supporting DSD recordings, is where the recording was direct to DSD at the outset, with no editing or mastering, and was released in its original form. As I understand it, any form of editing, including Mastering, requires the DSD stream to be converted into PCM... which begs the question, what value was there in capturing the DSD in the first place.
I also get the impression that a good proportion of DSD recordings have in fact been converted from PCM originals. In which case what's the point. Is it not better to avoid any complications that DSD may introduce into the picture and stick with the original clean PCM recording?
However, all this is but a smoke screen and diversion, the priority should be to get the publishers to STOP compressing the life out of the recordings they release!!! Yes, let's focus on the ending the Loudness War instead of trifling over which 'container' the heavily compressed music was wrapped in...
Just my 2c.
Apologies for ranting off-topic... mea culpa

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
DownUnderGazza
I think if I see such USB/I2S bridge IC which has the same current consumption as cm6642 in the 9038S(just 20mA!) and the same cost (just $2) but 32/384 and DSD256, for sure I'll go to migrate for the new USB bridge with no doubts. However, what we have with XMOS or savitech? XU208 eat 110mA and 5x times more expensive, SA9227 95mA and 5x times more expensive again. Whole #9038S idle current at Fs = 44.1-48kHz 88mA. 30mA for the couple of AD8397, 40mA ES9038, 5mA LED, 3mA MCU, 1mA mems clock, 20mA cm6642. ibasso dc01 iddle current 101mA, smsl idea 110mA for the 15 times less output power vs 9038S! So, 32/384 +DSD isn't free in terms of current consumption as well.

Chipless

I apologize if this has been answered already, but using the search function resulted in more confusion than answers: I currently have IEMs with balanced cables terminating in a male 3.5mm TRRS jack. I currently run these connected to the balanced input on a LH Labs GO2A DAC. I was hoping to get an E1DA 9038S but the 2.5mm output seems like an issue. Is there an adapter that I could use to reduce my balanced 3.5mm TRRS jack to the proper jack for the E1DA 9038S? If an adapter exists that will work, can you please recommend a specific one? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Very interesting. I'll keep an eye on the evolution of your products. As I've said before, some albums, such as "Toto IV" sound best in DSD version. Not sure why. I don't really care why because I don't get to decide how the mastering is done for each format. The DSD transfer for "Toto IV" was done twenty years ago when they actually cared about what they were putting on SACD, I guess because they were trying to show off a new format. Having said all that, I could let the player output PCM but then another transcoding step of questionable quality is added which probably varies with different software players. I like what the engineer heard when he did the DSD transfer.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Chipless
you said you searched for the answer? )) https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/faq
Almost every day I see complains from my users who bought my DAC with no idea what it actually is. "You have design problem" or "when I use 2.5 to 3.5mm jack adapter-optimizer I hear only one left channel, hence, your DAC is bad soldered" etc. The problem is such "adapters" & "optimizers" aren't safe for the output opamps because of short their outputs to each other. Of course, I'll replace burned DAC for the brand new one but how to be sure if the user finally realized that he personally burning DACs and now stopped to do that?
I've no idea how to push you guys to read the product page? ;)

Last edited:

Chilli

I apologize if this has been answered already, but using the search function resulted in more confusion than answers: I currently have IEMs with balanced cables terminating in a male 3.5mm TRRS jack. I currently run these connected to the balanced input on a LH Labs GO2A DAC. I was hoping to get an E1DA 9038S but the 2.5mm output seems like an issue. Is there an adapter that I could use to reduce my balanced 3.5mm TRRS jack to the proper jack for the E1DA 9038S? If an adapter exists that will work, can you please recommend a specific one? Thank you for any help you can provide.

You need a 2.5mm trrs balanced cable in the A&K format, and only that type.

snip3r77

@IVX, can I check if there's a more efficient model in the pipeline with lesser power? Thanks

mmicko

If your present cable is REALY ballanced TRRS in 3.5mm size, then you can try to search some 3.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRRS adapter but carefully, because most of these adapters are NOT ballanced and final price will be high (over 20USD)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-5...dio-Adapter-Cable-For-Astell/32817672343.html

But is your IEM has dettachable cable (mmcx, 2pin etc.) cheaper and also more safe solution will be to buy new 2.5mm TRRS cable.

Last edited:

Peter Pan

You can get adapters for different balanced connectors from Venture Electronics. I've got several of them (including 3.5mm balanced to 2.5mm balanced) and they work great.

Chipless

Chipless
you said you searched for the answer? )) https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/faq
Almost every day I see complains from my users who bought my DAC with no idea what it actually is. "You have design problem" or "when I use 2.5 to 3.5mm jack adapter-optimizer I hear only one left channel, hence, your DAC is bad soldered" etc. The problem is such "adapters" & "optimizers" aren't safe for the output opamps because of short their outputs to each other. Of course, I'll replace burned DAC for the brand new one but how to be sure if the user finally realized that he personally burning DACs and now stopped to do that?
I've no idea how to push you guys to read the product page? ;)

Thank you for the response. I was mostly referring to the search function within these ASR forums, but that being said, I did see the FAQ on your Wix.com site as well during my research. However, the FAQ doesn't seem to address my specific question since my 3.5mm TRRS jack terminates from a balanced (e.g. 4 wire) cable, and your FAQ section specifically mentions a 3-wire setup. If there is no safe way to go from a 4-wire 3.5mm TRRS to a 2.5mm TRRS jack via an adapter, it would be worth adding that to the FAQ. I realize that the blanket statement of "DO NOT USE ADAPTERS" is a safer, easier, and more efficient response, but since you took the time to provide feedback to me, I felt compelled to do the same for you.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thank you for the response. I was mostly referring to the search function within these ASR forums, but that being said, I did see the FAQ on your Wix.com site as well during my research. However, the FAQ doesn't seem to address my specific question since my 3.5mm TRRS jack terminates from a balanced (e.g. 4 wire) cable, and your FAQ section specifically mentions a 3-wire setup. If there is no safe way to go from a 4-wire 3.5mm TRRS to a 2.5mm TRRS jack via an adapter, it would be worth adding that to the FAQ. I realize that the blanket statement of "DO NOT USE ADAPTERS" is a safer, easier, and more efficient response, but since you took the time to provide feedback to me, I felt compelled to do the same for you.
3.5mm balanced is really quite rare. The adapter in question should go 3.5 from your IEM's standard to the A&K standard. A fellow member linked you such a cable above.

But honestly simply getting a new 2.5mm terminated cable seems easier/safer rather than relying on aliexpress adapters.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
have never used aliexpress before. @IVX how do i know tracking or when my 9038s has shipped? i can DM you my information..

Top Bottom