• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Some comments on the DSD performance. Archimago always uses the same set of DSD files generated at -3dbfs, I used Foobar2000 DSD processor to online generate DoP DSD64-128 at 0dbfs. My THD+N result is slightly worse than PCM 32/96 -124db(PCM -125.5db, I guess a worse result caused by the fact that THD compensation is not active in DSD). Also, I noticed that Foobar2000 has noticeably less HF noise(30-100kHz) vs Archimago's files, so to get a reliable reading of THD+N with these files I used my passive LPF. Foobar2000 allows THD+N reading directly by Cosmos APU without the LPF.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Some comments on the DSD performance. Archimago always uses the same set of DSD files generated at -3dbfs, I used Foobar2000 DSD processor to online generate DoP DSD64-128 at 0dbfs. My THD+N result is slightly worse than PCM 32/96 -124db(PCM -125.5db, I guess a worse result caused by the fact that THD compensation is not active in DSD). Also, I noticed that Foobar2000 has noticeably less HF noise(30-100kHz) vs Archimago's files, so to get a reliable reading of THD+N with these files I used my passive LPF. Foobar2000 allows THD+N reading directly by Cosmos APU without the LPF.
Archimago's DSD files were always a point of conflict,some people has pointed that to him.
Luckily we now have Multitone Analyzer where we can measure any DSD signal possible (including DoP and Native and from DSD64 to DSD1024 )

I find Multitone much cleaner down low with my ancient PC who can add kind of tiny (down to -130db ) spikes to the chart when played through foobar,depending on it's mood.
With Multitone is always clean as a whistle.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems not dither is a matter but REW gen itself. Usually, I use another sine gen but today I run REw's one and got THD -146db on the same sample! Completely vanished H7 for instance.
THD compensation is a great tool for measurements, but what does it look like at different frequencies, say 100Hz? Too bad the notch is only at 1k and 10k. Maybe a future version will have a lower setting added, say at 100Hz? ;)

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AP SYS2522

One can now measure well below the capability of that AP :) Just need that one more notch frequency at 100Hz for complete happiness :)
1712422602785.png

Top Bottom