• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Denon PMA-50 Amplifier

Willem

Major Contributor
I would go for a bit more power. At the budget end that means the Yamaha AS701/801, although they are admittedly bulky.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am confused - under the Review Index for integrated amplifier this is recommended as a component. But in the last paragraph of the review it is not? I think it looks like very decent bang for the buck given this will almost always (or SHOULD) be paired with a sub and bookshelf speakers.

Mark S.

Thread exhumation (I just bought a PMA-60, yet to arrive);

curious about the switching frequency of the D-amp modules in end-to-end 'digital amps' like these - is it fixed or does it change according to the sampling rate of the incoming PCM, i.e. to a multiple of either 44.1 or 48KHz? If it's fixed that implies that the amp is effectively performing a D/A and resampling conversion between the 'pre-amp' and 'power-amp' sections. I recall that way back in the early days of CD a few true digital amps appeared (to not particularly rapturous acclaim) that took the 16/44 PCM output of a CD transport and literally multiplied the value of each sample arithmetically (how they filtered the output I have no idea).

Top Bottom