• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of DACPort HD and Dragonfly Red

hrbngr

So, there have been a lot of small usb dac/amps since this was released, and many that test better here on ASR, but still--none of them get close to the power of this one. I'm debating buying a 2nd one during the current Drop for backup purposes, since it's still my best option for just plugging it into the laptop to drive my HD650\6XXs.

Have I missed out on another small USB dac (similar footprint/portability) that can replicate this capability? I do have my Grace sdac balanced/THX 789 for my primary desktop, but I find a lot of benefit to running the dacport HD on high gain watching crappy/stream movies on my laptop. I often need that extra oomph on the Dacport HD to play it at reasonable volume levels on even easier to drive headphones. My Dragonfly Black 1.2 and Audioengine D3 just wont do the job.

Anyone else come to a similar conclusion?

Last edited:

Nango

Major Contributor
Here is idle and sine wave playing power consumption using 33 ohm load and 1.5 volt output:

View attachment 19734

At max volume DACPort HD would pull over 0.6 amps! The Dragonfly Red would get distorted above 1.2 volts or so and current draw would not go above the 0.12 amp shown above.
0.6A will drain your 3600maH battery in your phone in a couple of hours (5-6 hrs).

Thiuda

Thanks for your Reviews amirm!

I am searching a very compact yet powerful DAC/AMP combo to drive my full size Headphones sufficiently with some Headroom on my Notebook.

Right now I use a ODAC/O2 combo as my mobile solution, even though it is quite small, dragging around this stack is very inconvenient. I need something tiny, sort of dangling on the side of my Notebook, going from place to place...

The CEntrance DACPort HD seems to be not only a very good, but the only solution available right now.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Fone

I have tried several of the CEntrance portable headphone solutions and they all worked great with good power and clean sound.

CEntrance are popular in Japan and sold both in specialty headphone stores and the large electronics department stores. I met the CEntrance founder Michael Goodman at a Tokyo headphone show and had a good chat about his portable amps and DACs; he is a good bloke.

Thiuda

Thanks for the background, here in Europe (Germany) it is impossible to find a dealer, therefore it is not well known.

I will have to order it directly from CEntrance, if they send it oversees...

Another option would be the Apogee Groove, but it seems to have way weaker Output and the high Output impedance is not the best for some of my low impedance Headphones as HifiMan 400i and Audioquest Nighthawk.
For others like ZMF Eikon and DT880 it should be fine though.

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
I think Apogee fixed that high zouth in a V2, double-check this with them pls.
Where did you find this info about a V2? I'm also looking at either the DacPort HD or the Apogee Grove, but that high output impedance is a deal breaker.

Nango

Major Contributor
Can't remember, therefore pls check with the Mfr. The DacPort HD sell for €165 in EU from authorized distributor.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thiuda

there are a bunch more thumbdrive or dongle style DACS and headamps that are cheaper and better than the ones in this review. The recent Helm dongle for example scored very well.

The SINAD score is not the point here!

We are searching for a very compact and mobile solution to drive full size headphones like ZMF Eikon or Sennheiser HD650 sufficiently with some headroom.
There is no alternative to the DACPort HD apart of maybe the Apogee Groove, but it has less power and high output impedance.

The DacPort HD sell for €165 in EU from authorized distributor.
I called them, they dont have any in stock and told me i should contact CEntrance.

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
The SINAD score is not the point here!

We are searching for a very compact and mobile solution to drive full size headphones like ZMF Eikon or Sennheiser HD650 sufficiently with some headroom.
There is no alternative to the DACPort HD apart of maybe the Apogee Groove, but it has less power and high output impedance.

I called them, they dont have any in stock and told me i should contact CEntrance.
I have the E1DA 9038S (G3), and I think it’s the closest we can get to that. It drives my Focal Clear and Sennheiser HD58X very well, but not my Hifiman HE-500. It is balanced only however. The iFi Hip DAC is also more powerful in 4.4 balanced mode, but it may not measure well and I had some issues with distorting at higher levels. It also doesn’t have a digital volume control, meaning imperfect channel balance.
There’s also the Creative SXfi Amp that has similar power to the new Khadas Tone2, but in a smaller package and unbalanced 3.5mm. I may check that out, but I’m not interested in their advertised DSP in the device.

Thiuda

I don´t want to go balanced, my very good AMPs i am using stationary at home are all unbalanced.
I will not change my euipment and i see no benefit from balanced at home.
Sure for mobile use the Output is benefical, but i dont want to buy new cables for all of my Headphones just for mobile use.

Therefore i guess the only DAC/AMP that will work are the DACport HD and maybe the Apogee Groove.
Units with internal battery are way to big to move around at home and on work with my Notebook.

I will give CEntrance a call to see if there are any EU authorized distributors...

Thiuda

I called CEntrance (very nice support by the way) and they told me there are no distributors for the DACport HD in the EU right now.
They seem to work on that, but who knows at which time it will be available, if anytime.

To order it directly in the US would be very expensive:
Unit: 179.99$
Shipping: 58.40$
Customs (5% including delivery): 11.92$
TAX (19% of everything): 47.56$
Total: 297.87$

That is sad...

Last edited:

Nango

Major Contributor
I called CEntrance (very nice support by the way) and they told me there are no distributors for the DACport HD in the EU right now.
They seem to work on that, but who knows at which time it will be available, if anytime.

That is sad...
Dont forget that DHL will charge you again for handling and advance the taxes, they dont collect that from you for free. DHL the worsest ever!

radioman

Audio Company

That is sad...
Thank you for your call this morning. As I mentioned, we are happy to work with you and dramatically reduce the shipping fees. We offer great customer service and strive to make our customers happy. I encourage you to email and we will be happy to solve the shipping issue for you, have no concerns ;)

www.CEntrance.com/contact

radioman

Audio Company
Thank you for your call this morning. As I mentioned, we are happy to work with you and dramatically reduce the shipping fees. We offer great customer service and strive to make our customers happy. I encourage you to email and we will be happy to solve the shipping issue for you, have no concerns ;)

www.CEntrance.com/contact
You know what? We love our customers too much. So much in fact, that we are offering free international shipping for the month of March. That's a pretty sweet deal! Email us for details!

Veri

Master Contributor
You know what? We love our customers too much. So much in fact, that we are offering free international shipping for the month of March. That's a pretty sweet deal! Email us for details!
That is a sweet offer :)

Top Bottom