• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Crown XLS 1502 Amp

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Ron Texas

Master Contributor

It's an interesting piece of hardware complete with PWM output. That kind of makes me (nonprofessionally) think the step of converting back to analog is skipped before driving the PWM. Is that chip inside an xls 1502? I don't see it in the photo although it's function could be integrated somewhere else. That product appears to be designed to implement powered speakers with modest amplifier power.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is that chip inside an xls 1502?

Oops... That's the amp chip for the JBL 305/308... No idea what's in the 1502.

I think I'll disappear for a while.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Oops... That's the amp chip for the JBL 305/308... No idea what's in the 1502.

I think I'll disappear for a while.

Don't feel bad. I could use a few chips, potato or otherwise...

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m currently using the XLS 1502 in mono mode to for a JBL B460 which is a ported sub using the JBL 2245H driver. Is this amp appropriate for a sub amplifier? Sub needs 600-800W. Any other ideas for alternatives?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I’m currently using the XLS 1502 in mono mode to for a JBL B460 which is a ported sub using the JBL 2245H driver. Is this amp appropriate for a sub amplifier? Sub needs 600-800W. Any other ideas for alternatives?
You have at the low end of that scale in bridged mode. It all depends on how much you want to shake things. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What are you basing the power needs on?

Maybe this

1547606754598.png

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1982-l250-b460.htm

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The XLS1502 puts out 1050W in bridged mode but am wondering, considering how it didn’t test very well if I should look elsewhere for a sub amp. I have a McIntosh Integrated (MA7900) that power JBL 250ti. After seeing how it tested I’m not sure. Any better options?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The XLS1502 puts out 1050W in bridged mode but am wondering, considering how it didn’t test very well if I should look elsewhere for a sub amp. I have a McIntosh Integrated (MA7900) that power JBL 250ti. After seeing how it tested I’m not sure. Any better options?
Read his conclusion again. IMO I don't think you could ask for more from a amp for you sub. 1K watts in a 94 db efficient speaker. o_O

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO the test results mean it is adequate rather than stellar.
For a sub it is plenty good enough.
Save your money, enjoy the massive bass and don’t worry.

jasonq997

Forum Donor
IMO the test results mean it is adequate rather than stellar.
For a sub it is plenty good enough.
Save your money, enjoy the massive bass and don’t worry.

And when we say adequate rather than stellar we are saying adequate for full range audiophile duties. It is very clean and powerful in the context of dedicated sub bass amplification, and it has some nice built in crossover functionality. The protection and cooling features are also nice if you are running it that hard.

Willem

Major Contributor
It is clearly fine for a sub amp. The more challenging question is whether its measured imperfections would be audible if used as a main amplifier. At the very least, it has one big and important advantage over and above many audiophile products: power, and lots of it. In my experience, power is one of the few characteristics of amplifiers that is actually audible in the right circumstances.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
While not stellar, it blows away anything else near it's price for full range use. Just look at some highly praised integrated amps which have been measured. The XLS 1502 beats or meets them on the distortion graphs while having gobs of power. For a passive sub, it's a no brainer and it has a built in low pass filter.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is clearly fine for a sub amp. The more challenging question is whether its measured imperfections would be audible if used as a main amplifier. At the very least, it has one big and important advantage over and above many audiophile products: power, and lots of it. In my experience, power is one of the few characteristics of amplifiers that is actually audible in the right circumstances.
I would not, personally, expect the measured imperfections to be audible listening to music

Ron Texas

Master Contributor

Clipping is a very gross and audible form of distortion capable of melting voice coil wires.

Willem

Major Contributor
Yes, more power is usually less dangerous than too little. And it sounds so much better. It is always surpising how much power is really needed on dynamic peaks. Alan Shaw (Harbeth) did a demo of his M40.1 flagship model in the Netherlands. On peaks, the amplifier that was used (and that had digital power meters) was puting out more than 500 watts per channel.

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am hesitant to say there is a digital signal processor inside the box based on the documentation. They only use the abbreviation "DSP" and it is shown as "DSP capabilities" or "DSP functionality". I personally think it is weasel worded as lawyers say.

You may be right, the documentation lists that the filter is implemented as a state variable filter (analog op amps).

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The "D" in DSP is Digital. If it were analog it should say ASP (and yes those exist). You can implement state-variable filters in a DSP (along with all the rest).

That said I have no idea what they are really doing.

Severian

Forum Donor
Once I have all of the other noise and hum out of the system, my XLS 1002 sounds phenomenal with full range speakers. I've used it with a pair of SEAS Idunns both in my living room and in a nearfield setup, and a pair of BIC America RTR-EV15s. With the latter, I was pushing them to thunderous volumes in a large room for a 50 person wedding dance party and everything sounded remarkably clean to me (awesome speakers, btw).

That said, I've never owned another high-powered amp. My basis for comparison is home theater receivers.

Top Bottom