• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Crown XLS 1502 Amp

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More seriously, measuring a Crown XLi would provide an interesting contrast. They're class AB with similar specs as the XLS series. And even lower prices. HtH can Crown sell a 200W, 25lb amp with a 5-year warranty for $229??!?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure that for a few dollars more Crown could easily work something with "audiophile" specs. Wish they'd do it. Even if the price was doubled, it'd be a bargain. But then the mystique of Harmon's other high priced amplifier brands could easily suffer (Mark Levinson, Arcam, Lexicon...). Back in the day, Crown was sold in both audio boutiques and pro shops. Their open reel decks were something to behold. But by the late '70s through '80s, the brand lost favor with the "high end" crowd, and the company dropped their consumer line. I'm happy to see the measurements of their modern stamped out gear. None of the consumer mags touch this stuff, probably for fear of what they might find.

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use a XLS 1500 for my big subwoofer with my active XO system, tons enough power for my needs and perfectly adequate for that job. Great to see proper measurements on the Amir and know I didn't foolishly waste money (this time).

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I did some research prior to review and ran into at least one instance of someone using it for the main system. But many more wanted to and were looking for measurement data to justify it.....

That might be me. Kind of wondering if a Hypex based amp would produce an audible improvement in my system. That includes the trade off of not being able to roll off the LS50's for the lows. The discussion is very interesting, especially the part about going AD -> DSP -> DA at 48 khz. I wonder how much a simple analog bypass would help things?

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That might be me. Kind of wondering if a Hypex based amp would produce an audible improvement in my system. That includes the trade off of not being able to roll off the LS50's for the lows. The discussion is very interesting, especially the part about going AD -> DSP -> DA at 48 khz. I wonder how much a simple analog bypass would help things?
Would it work better to switch to the powered LS50, and add a sub? See mitchco's excellent article here.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...ker-comparison-with-binaural-recordings-r768/

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Would it work better to switch to the powered LS50, and add a sub? See mitchco's excellent article here.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...ker-comparison-with-binaural-recordings-r768/
I read that article and did not understand exactly how he implemented the crossover. It would be a lot less expensive to let my passive LS50's run full range with the ports plugged and buy a Nord Hypex amp for $700, or possibly get something from MiniDSP like a DDRC-24 for $400 which includes a DAC, Dirac Live and a crossover. There's almost no local market for used hi-fi gear and selling over the internet is a hassle. I wish there was something available to try, but I don't know anything fitting the bill with a generous return privilege.

Not home right now, but I want to see what happens without the high pass filter.

There is a lot going on here. The 1502 is an amp which measures so-so but has proven itself with many home users. Perhaps it does better with the weird loads presented by speakers than what we are seeing here when compared to other amplifiers. Still, the 24 khz cut off is a disappointment. It means a 24/96 file will likely sound the same as a 24/48 file.

At one time I thought the high and low pass filters were somehow implemented in the comparator. Amir says otherwise. Perhaps my idea is nonsense.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@mitchco can you fill us in regarding how you combined the LS50 and Rythmik subs? Ron would like to do something similar with his LS50s.

Did you use two different dacs one for subs and one for the LS50s or something else?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We combined a Revel sub with the LS50s. Didn't do anything to the LS50s and just let the sub add what it did. It was substantially better with the sub than without (the sub was DSPed for the room).

Reactions: wje

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure that for a few dollars more Crown could easily work something with "audiophile" specs. Wish they'd do it.

Crown does have more considerably expensive, and more powerful, amplifiers based on the same "Drivecore" technology, the DCI line.
https://www.crownaudio.com/en-US/product_families/drivecore-install-network-series
I assume they spec out good enough. They're also sold as JBL Synthesis and Charles Sprinkle uses one to drive his M2s.

The challenge with those amplifiers is terribly loud fan noise. They have to be in a different room.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
We combined a Revel sub with the LS50s. Didn't do anything to the LS50s and just let the sub add what it did. It was substantially better with the sub than without (the sub was DSPed for the room).

I want to try not using a high pass on the LS50's before I even contemplate getting a different amp.

Last edited:

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
@mitchco can you fill us in regarding how you combined the LS50 and Rythmik subs? Ron would like to do something similar with his LS50s.

Did you use two different dacs one for subs and one for the LS50s or something else?

Answered here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...subs-how-to-implement-ideas.6114/#post-137155

On the topic of the XLS 1502, that was the amp I used on the LS50's and captured on the binaural recordings. So far no-one has commented about the sound of the amp :)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Crown does have more considerably expensive, and more powerful, amplifiers based on the same "Drivecore" technology, the DCI line.
https://www.crownaudio.com/en-US/product_families/drivecore-install-network-series
I assume they spec out good enough. They're also sold as JBL Synthesis and Charles Sprinkle uses one to drive his M2s.

Interesting. The DCI back panel tells the story. XLS have RCA inputs, so it is obviously designed with the home user in mind. DCI makes no appeals to the home consumer. It features networking (Ethernet, etc), published specs showing better FR, S/N a little better than the XLS, lower THD (about the level of tube gear), crazy mean damping factor, and double the weight at 18 pounds! That's right, 18 pounds. Price is about a thousand dollars more, but my guess is that Crown sells these by the dozen. In lots of 10. The days of roadies lugging around crates of DC-300s are certainly long gone. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well, feel free to do so!
I think the inference was,
it sounds like

wait for it wait for it wait for it

kaboom,

a straight wire with gain
Woo Hoo :p

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am glad you show temperature in degree Celsius.
Are you starting to use the metric system in the US?
No, we are stuck in lousy English system. The reason I use degree C is because electronic part ratings are always in degree C so we (electrical engineers) are used to thinking in that scale.

Top Bottom