• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Cowon Plenue 2 DAP

ZeDestructor

It’s all about making money. Why bother pay top dollar to an engineer when they can just feed audiophile myths and end up making lots of money.

It doesn't help that it's very hard to advertise engineering time and dollar when the vast majority of people have no clue how to interpret a set of measurements from Amir or Wolf, let alone do proper AB/ABX testing. A pretty cable, on the other hand... that's stuff you can see and feel!

PeakySpencer

I have the Plenue D which I have found very good to use and enjoy for everyday use. The battery life is insane - 100 hours mp3-50 for FLAC !. There are a lot of EQ options which are very good allowing you to fine tune your IEMs to suit. The size is perfectly small for the inside jacket pocket or Jean's pocket and pop more tunes onto a memory card so you have a decent sized library with you on the move. I got the leather or plastic leather case which fits and protects ,you can still get to all the bits you need. Its plenty loud ,I use FLAC files just to squeeze a bit more sonic depth from the player. Would I advise someone to purchase one ? - yes I would over an ipod or similar anyway.

iJay

Is it safe to assume Cowon P2 mkii would have like or better measurements than P2 mki?

vdk1

Is it safe to assume Cowon P2 mkii would have like or better measurements than P2 mki?
- There is no Cowon Plenue 2 mki ! There are only Cowon Plenue 2 and Cowon Plenue 2 mkii.
- Cowon Plenue 2 mkii has more powerful balanced output: 3.24 Vrms vs 2 Vrms balance output of the Cowon Plenue 2.
- They share more or less the same sound signature.
So it is "safe enough" to assume that Cowon P2 mkii would have like or better measurements than P2 .

Bigotes

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Cowon Plenue 2 portable Digital Audio Player (DAP). It is on kind loan from a member. The Plenue 2 costs US $599 with Prime shipping. The owner took advantage of a 20% sale so price may be lower.

EDIT: List price seems to be US $1599.

The Plenue 2 feels quite chunky and heavy and is in typical style of other DAPs:

The exception is two rotary controls. The top one is dedicated to volume control. The other is a multi-function one that can be assigned to different purposes.

I am not a fan of either control. The knobs are too small to rotate even though I have rather narrow fingers. Worse yet, there is no acceleration in volume control. By default it sets the level to mid-point and you have to crank it forever to get up to max value of 140.

Cowon does not list this player in their support page so I could not get a manual for it there. I found it elsewhere but formatting was poor, often overlaying chinese characters on top of text. There is not much that is intuitive in the interface.

For testing, I connected the unit over USB to my Windows 10 system. It prompt me the option of acting like a DAC or "MSC." I happen to know that MSC stands for Mass Storage Class driver but I suspect most people don't. Why not say "file storage" or some such thing that makes sense to people? There is plenty of space on the unit.

Going into settings menus, I was greeted with a bunch of Chinese characters. I am not sure if there is a language selector or not. If you look above, my sample audio signal also has some chinese characters below it. Why?

Anyway, let's get into testing.

DAC Audio Measurements
As noted above, I started my testing the unit while connected to Windows 10 PC using USB cable. I put the unit in DAC mode and started my dashboard measurement:
View attachment 32122

This is actually pretty reasonable output with 2 volt RMS and pretty low level of distortion and noise in a portable package. SINAD of 105 dB is decent. However, when I started the test, the SINAD was jumping between 98 (or was it 92?) and 102. Distortion products were not changing but the noise level would constantly jump and down. Strangely that started to settle down after a few minutes. My guess is that when it first "boots" there are background processes that are causing CPU activity that is bleeding into the DAC.

Using the "warmed up SINAD" we are securely in second quarter of all DACs tested which is good:

View attachment 32123

Dynamic range at full volume is good but drops a fair bit when measured at just 50 millivolts for sensitive IEMs:
View attachment 32124

View attachment 32125

Intermodulation distortion versus level was excellent:
View attachment 32126

There are some variations though and that was what I was seeing in a more magnified way when the unit had just booted.

Low level of distortion contributes to low intermodulation distortion with 32 tones:
View attachment 32127

That is 120 dB or 20 bits of distortion-free dynamic range which is very nice.

Jitter test shows some interference in the output of the DAC but is not of any audible concern:

View attachment 32128

Filter response is "slow" as is fashionable (but incorrect) these days:

View attachment 32129

There are different filter settings though and if I could manage to navigate the unit, I could have changed it.

THD+N versus frequency shows high level of noise and distortion due to wide bandwidth of this test, extending to 90 kHz:
View attachment 32130

We can dig into the cause by looking at the 90 kHz bandwidth of a 1 kHz tone:

View attachment 32131

Our 1 kHz tone is hugging the left side of the x axis. We see the distortion products which are all less than 110 dB which is good. But then we see a pair of tones around our sampling rate of 44.1 kHz, indicating aliasing products due to slow filter. Translating in English, the actual distortion products are very low as our SINAD indicates. What pushes the above graph high is ultrasonic products which should be benign at those levels. A sharper filter setting would eliminate most of it.

DAP Mode Audio Measurement
To make sure performance was the same in DAP mode versus PC connected, I ran the dashboard without USB connection and local playback from internal memory:

View attachment 32132

Distortion products are the same. Noise level improves without connection to the PC (bottom of the distortion spikes) but is of no audible consequence.

So you can trust the rest of the measurements to be representative of local playback.

Headphone Amplifier Measurements
Let's measure power versus noise and distortion into a 300 ohm load:

View attachment 32133

Wow, that is very low level of noise and distortion, essentially matching the excellent Topping DX3 Pro in low gain. At peak power distortion is down 106 db which is very nice. Won't get super loud though at just 11 milliwatts.

Switching 33 ohm load to emphasize current delivery, makes the unit sweat a lot more:
View attachment 32134

The Plenue 2 has balanced output using 2.5 mm jack so let's compare that and the 3.5 mm jack using 50 ohm load:

View attachment 32135

The balanced mode provides not only more power but also a lot less noise and distortion. So it seems the process of conversion to unbalanced is adding good bit of distortion and noise.

Output impedance is a very good 2 ohm:
index.php

Note: the original review had this wrong at 16 ohm. Corrected above.

Headphone Listening Tests
There was sufficient power and good fidelity to drive the Sennheiser HD-650. With recordings at lower level than 0 dB, I had to ride the volume control to max but that was good enough.

Switching to Hifiman HE-400i, I had even more volume and a very nice experience.

Overally, there was not much to fault the subjective performance of Cowon Plenue 2.

Conclusions
You probably don't want to listen to me ranting about the lack of usability testing on these devices. They could use some serious testing and refinements of the control. I suspect though once you get used to them, you can figure out your way around.

From performance point of view, the Plenue 2 delivers. It acts as a desktop class DAC when connected to the PC, with little to fault it. It generates the same performance when playing locally which is excellent. Power level in unbalanced mode is just enough with every low distortion figures for 300 Ohm load. For lower impedance headphone, better use the balanced connection for most power and least distortion and noise.

Subjective performance was positive as well as measurements would predict. It just won't blow your head off as some battery operated portable DACs can do. :)

Overall, based on measurements and listening test performance, I am happy to recommend the Cowon Plenue 2 DAP.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Halloween season is upon us and the panthers are asking for a bunch of pumpkins to decorate. I need money for that on top of everything else so please donate generously using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Hi!
I liked a lot your review and I'm actually enjoying the Plenue2 a lot also.
I plan to by the AKG 712 Pro headphones.
Do I need a separate amp device to drive the headphones or the Cowon Plenue2 with the headphone mode ON is good enough to drive these headphones?
Thank you!

FuzzTone

Kind of depends upon how hard you wanna push your hearing. You're better off with noise cancelling. And better cans for wired.

Last edited:
Top Bottom