• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Alright, here is my observation with the Topping P50 regulated Linear PSU with CCA optical to SMSL M500 and THX 789 to HD800Ss, and I know most here at ASR won't like what I have observed, anyways be it as it may, here it is: the background seems to be darker with the apparent glare with Stock PSU noticeably tamed. Bass is more present and lively. To who ever wants to try it...I say: you may be surprised! Not a night and day difference but definitely makes the CCA cleaner sounding and well worth the $100 or so spent on the P50 PSU. I'm preferring the CCA output with EQ from Google Home app (Bass +3 l Treble -2) to be fluid and sounding about right with DARK background...albeit it's not a bit perfect signal like so anyways.

PS. Not starting a pissing competition here, just sharing my thoughts on my new gadget...so long live SMPS too if it pleases people here;)!!!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know most here at ASR won't like what I have observed

It is not about liking or not liking, we just won't pay any notice or attribute any credibility to your personal, subjective, unverified perceptions. If they make you happy, good for you!

Shoaibexpert

It is not about liking or not liking, we just won't pay any notice or attribute any credibility to your personal, subjective, unverified perceptions. If they make you happy, good for you!
Thanks for understanding mate

tades

Alright, here is my observation with the Topping P50 regulated Linear PSU with CCA optical to SMSL M500 and THX 789 to HD800Ss, and I know most here at ASR won't like what I have observed, anyways be it as it may, here it is: the background seems to be darker with the apparent glare with Stock PSU noticeably tamed. Bass is more present and lively. To who ever wants to try it...I say: you may be surprised! Not a night and day difference but definitely makes the CCA cleaner sounding and well worth the $100 or so spent on the P50 PSU. I'm preferring the CCA output with EQ from Google Home app (Bass +3 l Treble -2) to be fluid and sounding about right with DARK background...albeit it's not a bit perfect signal like so anyways.

PS. Not starting a pissing competition here, just sharing my thoughts on my new gadget...so long live SMPS too if it pleases people here;)!!!
Hello, Thanks for this feedback I was expecting. Is this a step further to the very cheap non regulated Leicke supply I mentioned ? If yes I will follow your example as I observed, mentioned and explained this kind of supply was a good fix to CCA trend to Jitter. BR

Shoaibexpert

Hello, Thanks for this feedback I was expecting. Is this a step further to the very cheap non regulated Leicke supply I mentioned ? If yes I will follow your example as I observed, mentioned and explained this kind of supply was a good fix to CCA trend to Jitter. BR
Thanks. Sure, do try Linear PSUs....you don't have to go for the rather expensive Topping PSU...there are many options on AliExpress say from Weilang and other companies. There is a song 'September' by Susan Wong and there is a treble element...kinda like ball bearings falling on glass or something...when you listen to that using standard supplied PSU, you cant differentiate the various objects falling...you can by using USB! Change the PSU to battery (not great as Bass is slow with it) or better yet change to Linear PSU and with CCA also, you can hear each object separately. Just one example of where I could discern an audible difference through basic observation. Anyways, again not a night and day difference but still worth it if you consider CCA itself is a cheap device and adding a Linear PSU can take it up a notch to maybe (coz I haven't heard them) match it to rather expensive streamer output quality. I certainly prefer it to my USB output and I think Amir's tests suggest it as well...where the CCA was as clean as the APX555's own signal when run through a decent and cheap DAC. He didn't even use a linear PSU btw...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I know most here at ASR won't like what I have observed

I doubt most will care what you have observed. It's more about the 'how' of the observing, than the what.

You know...that uncontrolled thing...

Shoaibexpert

I doubt most will care what you have observed. It's more about the 'how' of the observing, than the what.

You know...that uncontrolled thing...
I said long live supplied SMPS too! :facepalm:

Said I don't want to start a you know what competition.

My observations stand! People believe what they want to...we are talking about different people with different gear, different hearing capabilities and preferences here after all anyways, couldn't care less either way!

Snook

So has this changed at all with the HDMI version of the chromecast ULTRA?

I am plugging it straight into a HDMI port on my Anthem MRX310

Should it sound good... I assume ROON is doing bitperfect from the source to the DAC inside my Anthem MRX310.

Anyone care to offer up some opinions?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So has this changed at all with the HDMI version of the chromecast ULTRA?

I am plugging it straight into a HDMI port on my Anthem MRX310

Should it sound good... I assume ROON is doing bitperfect from the source to the DAC inside my Anthem MRX310.

Anyone care to offer up some opinions?
Look at the playback info on roon (click on the coloured dot on the playback screen)

tades

Hello Dears, In the same spirit that inspired Shoaibexpert, I come back to comment your statements.
As you advised in a PM, I ordered a Weiliang Linear Power Supply ...that finally arrived this week without the main cable ...
Time to get one from Oehlbach and I'm back for a feedback
1/ I now know that in HiFi language, Linear doesn't mean ..."Linéaire" but with a traditionnal transformer ... explains a lot of mis-understanding with some other mates
2/ I and friends made many tests : I/We observed a strong regression of let(s say "Tape Hiss" whenever DDD recordings.
As you mentioned less glare. versus regular CCA PSU (very easy to perceive) but also versus my powerfull but "switched" Leicke PS

So 100% Ok with you statement
I can also say that I further improved the result by changing the supplied USB/micro USB cable by a USB3/ microUSB cable, adding some slightly more impact on bottom end hit.
Here also a small but cheap (7€) improvment that I cannot support by measurement even if we can be sure cable dynamic impedance is lower.

Cable reference in Amazon France :
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07NQFBT3H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2/ I and friends made many tests

Can you describe those tests in more detail? Sighted? Based on auditory memory? While being part of a group?

Here also a small but cheap (7€) improvment that I cannot support by measurement even if we can be sure cable dynamic impedance is lower.

If you haven't measured, how can you be sure about the impedance? By the way, what is the difference between "dynamic" impedance and regular impedance?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
As you mentioned less glare.

Funny how that works...

Power of suggestion anyone?

I can also say that I further improved the result by changing the supplied USB/micro USB cable by a USB3/ microUSB cable, adding some slightly more impact on bottom end hit.

Uh huh...

Last edited:

tades

Funny how that works...

Power of suggestion anyone?

Uh huh...

As Shoaibexpert said : Not starting a pissing competition here, just sharing my thoughts on my new gadget... just going further than the Leicke PSU I introduced to this discussion..(cf my message july 14th)

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As Shoaibexpert said : Not starting a pissing competition here, just sharing my thoughts on my new gadget... just going further than the Leicke PSU I introduced to this discussion..

For it to be a pissing competition there would have to be a competitive element. Yes, you are sharing your thoughts/beliefs/perceptions, but as they are totally subjective and unverified, they are not very useful to anyone else.

tades

Can you describe those tests in more detail? Sighted? Based on auditory memory? While being part of a group?

If you haven't measured, how can you be sure about the impedance? By the way, what is the difference between "dynamic" impedance and regular impedance?
same as between transient and established waves ...if you can remember ... You know the difference between Fourier and Laplace Uh Huh !
Sure nobody cares ...but music is mainly transients, at least the music I like

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
As Shoaibexpert said : Not starting a pissing competition here, just sharing my thoughts on my new gadget... just going further than the Leicke PSU I introduced to this discussion..

Right.
And this is a science forum.
Not sure what you expect when you make these kinds of (silly) claims.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
same as between transient and established waves ...if you can remember ... You know the difference between Fourier and Laplace Uh Huh !
Sure nobody cares ...but music is mainly transients, at least the music I like

Are transient waves anti-establishment? I realize you are probably using google translate, but...

Top Bottom