• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I‘ve never really measured it. I’ve just got into the habit of recharging overnight or when the indicator says it needs it. It‘s never actually ran out of charge, and remember, I’m using it to power both a CCA and a Topping D50.
Put it this way, I’ve been very pleased with it’s performance, in this respect.
I will try the following pack that's been lying around useless today: https://www.amazon.ae/dp/B07RC4MC4T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_32dbFbSTEX2GC

My newer M500 V2 is gonna be delivered today... hopefully my CCA will sound better than the Google Chromecast charger I've been using...not that I noted any issues there...

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My newer M500 V2 is gonna be delivered today... hopefully my CCA will sound better than the Google Chromecast charger I've been using...not that I noted any issues there...

What difference do you think it will make, and why?

Shoaibexpert

What difference do you think it will make, and why?
No idea mate. I am a user not a creator. All I know is that maybe electricity is more regulated through the power bank as against the charger connected to mains due to the minor variations on voltages being avoided...I'm not sure! But many people do claim that they experience lower noise floors when they connect their DACs to battery packs instead of main...I can't coz the M500 takes direct mains power...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's actually kind of a phone charger..I'm not sure if it's as clean as the battery power that everyone seems to be content with. Anyways, the Ethernet thread charger comes with the Ultra not CCA.

I will tell you for nothing power packs need not be clean power , at all.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No idea mate. I am a user not a creator. All I know is that maybe electricity is more regulated through the power bank as against the charger connected to mains due to the minor variations on voltages being avoided...I'm not sure! But many people do claim that they experience lower noise floors when they connect their DACs to battery packs instead of main...I can't coz the M500 takes direct mains power...

You seem somewhat obsessed with updates and tweaks to make your very well measuring equipment perform or "sound better" . Have you ever noticed any issues with the sound? You suggest not.

If the CCA is working its bit perfect if fed from the right source using its own power adapter and outputting optical. Your M500 v2 if it works out of the box wont be "improved" by either software updates . driver updates or different power. Its a very high performing DAC.

As you well know, the single biggest impact on the sound you get from your electronics is the transducers you feed with it all. If you are not happy withthe sound you get out of them , thats the place to start. IIRC you have decent headphones too. And no, running them SE or balanced wont make a difference there either assuming they are getting enough clean power from whatever amp you are using.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Many people claim to have been abducted by aliens too. The advice of people who really understand the technology is "it doesn't matter". Or of course it matters, if you believe there is an improvement you will also hear an improvement, even if there is no measurable difference.

Shoaibexpert

You seem somewhat obsessed with updates and tweaks to make your very well measuring equipment perform or "sound better" . Have you ever noticed any issues with the sound? You suggest not.

If the CCA is working its bit perfect if fed from the right source using its own power adapter and outputting optical. Your M500 v2 if it works out of the box wont be "improved" by either software updates . driver updates or different power. Its a very high performing DAC.

As you well know, the single biggest impact on the sound you get from your electronics is the transducers you feed with it all. If you are not happy withthe sound you get out of them , thats the place to start. IIRC you have decent headphones too. And no, running them SE or balanced wont make a difference there either assuming they are getting enough clean power from whatever amp you are using.
I take your points mate. Thanks for clarifying things...You too @Julf

Willem

Major Contributor
That's actually kind of a phone charger..I'm not sure if it's as clean as the battery power that everyone seems to be content with. Anyways, the Ethernet thread charger comes with the Ultra not CCA.
The power supply that comes with the CCA is fine, and there is really no need to go for exotic and inconvenient solutions like battery power. The threaded Ethernet capable charger was available as an optional extra for the CCA but from what I can find it is no longer sold. However, there are third party alternatives. I can imagine that wired ethernet is more important for 4K video, given the massively larger bandwidth requirement.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
The power supply that comes with the CCA is fine, and there is really no need to go for exotic and inconvenient solutions like battery power. The threaded Ethernet capable charger was available as an optional extra for the CCA but from what I can find it is no longer sold. However, there are third party alternatives. I can imagine that wired ethernet is more important for 4K video, given the massively larger bandwidth requirement.

Totally agree .... well almost.

I find a battery pack convenient, as it’s used for both a CCA and a Topping D50. I suppose it’s no power cables versus keeping it charged.

I definitely wouldn’t describe It as exotic.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally agree .... well almost.

I find a battery pack convenient, as it’s used for both a CCA and a Topping D50. I suppose it’s no power cables versus keeping it charged.

I definitely wouldn’t describe It as exotic.

And presumably sound quality isnt your reasoning?

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Sometimes I use one of my CCAs with a powerbank as a make shift headphone amp. Great when I'm in the garden.

Shoaibexpert

As for the internet signals it draws, there are adapter cables out there that allow for Ethernet cables to be connected to it in addition to the power which essentially allows for the CCA to get internet connection via LAN cables.

From the least interference/noise point of view, what should be used: CCA's internal wifi or Ethernet cable to connect the CCA to internet (provided Wifi is also very stable) for best SQ (optical, especially!)...I mean can LAN cables act as noisy input signals to the CCA? Thanks

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
can LAN cables act as noisy input signals to the CCA?

Not in terms of actual signal, but any wire can of course act as an antenna - but as ethernet is galvanically isolated, it normally isn't a problem especially if you use UTP (unshielded) cable, not STP (shielded), as the shield isn't galvanically isolated.

Shoaibexpert

Not in terms of actual signal, but any wire can of course act as an antenna - but as ethernet is galvanically isolated, it normally isn't a problem especially if you use UTP (unshielded) cable, not STP (shielded), as the shield isn't galvanically isolated.
Thanks. So would you say using WiFi for CCA removes any chance or doubt then against use of LAN cables? Other than the reliability of connectivity issue...any problems with CCA in that regards like.maybe heating up more when using WiFi or shortening of its life? I know I'm nit picking here but just wanna be sure before investing in that Ethernet adapter for CCA...

Also, any idea of the SMSL M500 relocks the CCA optical signals to correct any possible jitter? Thanks

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hey, there's a member on this forum (BDWoody) who has about 50 CCAs networked in his house. You cannot compete with that!

Well...not quite that many.

I've got 9 hooked up, but an undisclosed number in inventory.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
@BDWoody does indeed have lots. I think I bought any not in his possession. Think I have 5

So, 5 got away?!

a3968967770_5.jpg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Ever had one die on you? I havent

Nope... They just do their jobs without complaint. Only time any have stopped working was when one of my cats chewed through the USB power cable.

tades

Will the Chromecast audio properly run from USB chargers? I am tempted to buy the CCA from the above seller(on Ebay) @AU$28, for a spare, but may need to buy an AU plug PS as well.

I can buy a refurbished AU model CCA here for $AU39 plus $AU12 shipping.
Unfortunately local Ebay used prices are excessive and shipping cost kills the overseas listings.

Hello
CCA is very sensitive to the quality of the USB Charger ; ie the lowest the dynamic impedance, the better the sound:
You can try this one 5V 4A and quite cheap because for Raspberry PC :
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07HF7LSXD/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2Z54WBF904K0X&psc=1

BR Tades

Top Bottom