• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got a chromecast audio some times ago. But the SQ could not beat that of Moon MiND. So the chromecast is laying in the drawer.

Subjective, unverified perceptions seem to be taking over here... :(

Willem

Major Contributor
The Chromecast implementation of the Chrome browser is not a good way to use the CCA, and Amir's test is a bit misleading in that sense. Archimago's test is very clear about this. Just use the Chromecast app, and the signal will be bitperfect. without any need for Roon or whatever. Use the digital output of the CCA and a good DAC like the ADI-2, and you have sonic perfection. If anything else sounds different, it is not transparent/neutral/accurate.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Level difference?
Doubt it, the cca maintains its output level via optical regardless of which app you cast from until you change it . May well just be mind tricks, but I wasn't expecting an improvement, I just heard one.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doubt it, the cca maintains its output level via optical regardless of which app you cast from until you change it . May well just be mind tricks, but I wasn't expecting an improvement, I just heard one.

That is not how confirmation/expectation bias really works. :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is not how confirmation/expectation bias really works. :)
Aye. Either way, I have Roon for other reasons so I don't mind if there is no actual improvement in using it. Never heard anything wrong when casting straight from Tidal etc direct to CCA. Shame they stopped making them really.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never heard anything wrong when casting straight from Tidal etc direct to CCA. Shame they stopped making them really.

Indeed - but they were probably making a loss on each one they sold.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

simonind

Some years ago I used BubbleUPnP Server on an Android phone to cast FLAC to my Chromecast Audio and using the TOSLink out I got the HDCD indicator to light up on my Cambridge DACMagic showing that playback was at least bit perfect. No idea about jitter as I've nothing to measure it with however it sounded fine, just less convenient than other streaming solutions.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry I know it's an old thread but here goes: The review mentioned that Chromecast Audio when linked via Toslink to a well designed DAC and when played through Roon works superb. So, I don't have Roon but have connected the Chromecast Audio to my SMSL M500 via Toslink (casted in HiFi Tidal from my Android phone Tidal app). Assuming the DAC can filter jitter as it did in the review with the Topping D50, am I getting the ideal jitter free output from my setup?

Btw, between the USB (high quality AuCharm USB cable) running Tidal in Bit Perfect via Windows 10 PC and the Toslink via Chromecast Audio, all through M500, I can hear that the Toslink sounds a bit cleaner and thin (with slightly less bass rumble/presence) at the same time...wonder if that tells us anything... @amirm appreciate your help with this...Thanks

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw, between the USB (high quality AuCharm USB cable) running Tidal in Bit Perfect via Windows 10 PC and the Toslink via Chromecast Audio, all through M500, I can hear that the Toslink sounds a bit cleaner and thin (with slightly less bass rumble/presence) at the same time...wonder if that tells us anything...

Uh huh...

murraycamp

Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Btw, between the USB (high quality AuCharm USB cable) running Tidal in Bit Perfect via Windows 10 PC and the Toslink via Chromecast Audio, all through M500, I can hear that the Toslink sounds a bit cleaner and thin (with slightly less bass rumble/presence) at the same time...wonder if that tells us anything...

Hard to say...but I'm guessing these are all just casual listening impressions? In that case...no, it really doesn't...

Top Bottom