• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

gvl

Major Contributor
If you have a PC, some players allow to specify output bit-depth over WASAPI, I know JRiver does.

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, but I don't have a CD player with digital outputs (and I'm too cheap to get one at this point), so I will see if I can find another (free or at least cheaper) alternative. I do have an old DVD player with Toslink output, but last time I tried it, it didn't work anymore, so we'll see.

I bought my feature rich Teac 5 disc changer with digital out are more than 10 yrs ago at a pawn shop for $50. They must be practically giving them away now

But why worry? CD red book is fine and so is the CCA.
I'm not really worried and it doesn't really matter to me. This originated from my response to another poster who asked if anyone else was seeing their D50 was always displaying 24-bit when using CCA.

gvl provided a logical explanation as to why this happens, which piqued my curiosity to confirm his hypothesis....nothing more than that.

I bought my feature rich Teac 5 disc changer with digital out are more than 10 yrs ago at a pawn shop for $50. They must be practically giving them away now
Thanks. Actually, the cheapest route may be a DVD player from ebay or Amazon. I think most (if not all) have a Toslink and/or Coax digital output

gvl

Major Contributor
Thanks. Actually, the cheapest route may be a DVD player from ebay or Amazon. I think most (if not all) have a Toslink and/or Coax digital output

I don't know if "yard" or "garage" sales are common where you live, if they are there is a good chance you can pick one for a song on one of them.

Shoaibexpert

Sorry for being late on this. I am planning to use the Chromecast audio via optical to my SMSL SU-8 DAC. Would this be recommended given i dont use Roon nor do i afford (see the point) of it. I use Tidal HiFi and want to stream Tidal's 16/24bit 44.1/48/88.2/96K files as is on a chromecast device digitally (via Toslink) to my DAC without any messing with PC app. Would the SMSL SU-8 fix any jitter problems without Roon when I cast Tidal directly via my phone. Thanks

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Tidal is limited to 44.1k CD quality when you play on CCA through your phone. Also there's no gapless playback. Jitter should not be an issue with the SU-8.

Roberto

Shoaibexpert,

I stream Tidal Hi-Fi exactly as you described, except to a Topping D50. It sounds great. I’ve compared that with streaming Tidal Hi-Fi via a Bluesound Node 2 to the Topping and I couldn’t detect any difference.

For what it’s worth, I’ve tried Roon and can’t see the point of It either.

Willem

Major Contributor
I am streaming the optical output of a CCA into a Pioneer U-05. The result is perfect, even listening to Quad electrostats.

KenG

While the Chromecast digital output isn't the cleanest it isn't terrible either and most well engineered DACs should be able to handle any jitter issues without a problem. From what I recall in Amir's review the big limitation with Chromecast was the streaming implementation from the Chrome Browser.
If you tried to stream Tidal from a Chrome web browser it would likely sound pretty bad even on the SU-8 or D50 however if you streamed from Roon, another upnp/dnla streamer or the Tidal phone app, you should notice no difference in sound quality based on the toslink output.

Willem

Major Contributor
It is a bit unfortunate that Amir's initial test was from the Chrome browser as that is really not how the CCA is meant to be used. On its own it is much better, with an optical output that has above average jitter but not so bad that a decent dac cannot cure this.

Shoaibexpert

As far as I'm concerned... There isnt a more convenient way to stream your music via any streaming service in HiFi than the CCA optical to DAC... No EM interference, no resampling and control via your portable device... If this isn't OTT than what is?! I for one noticed a huge upscale in clarity when I switched from my Windows 10 PC running Tidal app via USB to the Chromecast via Optical. As of now I'm using the Chromecast Ultra connected to my TV that has an optical out going into the SMSL SU-8... But I've placed an order for the discontinued CCA as it should should the same if not better...without having to deal with the TV. Some say it does 24/96 as well. As for Roon... I don't know if it is getting a following coz audiophiles just might be thinking that it takes an annual $120 Roon cost to be a true audiophile... All I see is that Roon doesn't do sh*t more than what a native streaming app from any of the mainstream music apps can't do... Talking specifically for those who've noticed that they no longer need to have Terabytes of music in 2019 as you can stream everything and anything via internet for a nominal fee.

Shoaibexpert

While the Chromecast digital output isn't the cleanest it isn't terrible either and most well engineered DACs should be able to handle any jitter issues without a problem. From what I recall in Amir's review the big limitation with Chromecast was the streaming implementation from the Chrome Browser.
If you tried to stream Tidal from a Chrome web browser it would likely sound pretty bad even on the SU-8 or D50 however if you streamed from Roon, another upnp/dnla streamer or the Tidal phone app, you should notice no difference in sound quality based on the toslink output.
That's odd why would anyone stream Tidal via the browser... I mean the Tidal PC app is free and allows you to cast as well...anyways good to hear one doesn't need Roon to get the best out of the CCA optical setup. Thanks

DDF

CCA doesnt support eq unfortunately so my 5 now mostly go unused

KenG

As for Roon... I don't know if it is getting a following coz audiophiles just might be thinking that it takes an annual $120 Roon cost to be a true audiophile... All I see is that Roon doesn't do sh*t more than what a native streaming app from any of the mainstream music apps can't do... Talking specifically for those who've noticed that they no longer need to have Terabytes of music in 2019 as you can stream everything and anything via internet for a nominal fee.

Depending on your use case and interest in music Roon can be pretty spectacular experience. It integrates some of the best features of Squeezebox Server, Sonos, AllMusic database and Audirvana and works unbelievably well with Tidal and Qobuz (in addition to your own library) but it’s hard to justify the $120 annually or $500 lifetime.

It’s not for everyone but I would encourage people to try it for a few weeks.

I currently don’t use it but wouldn’t rule out purchasing it at some point.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
but it’s hard to justify the $120 annually or $500 lifetime.
Dang hard to justify, I don't see the reasoning, for a little extra integration of apps and the convenience?
Guess if you got money to spare ---------------

Top Bottom