• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I started a nice discussion here, few more pages were added to the thread and yet I'm not sure whether to proceed with the purchase of the E30 or not. :)
LOL, you started a Topping E30 discussion in the Chromecast review thread and not the E30 thread?

oldsysop

it is not as you say, in my system even a cable placed on the ground or placed on a soft cloth there is a clear difference and I do not use an expensive system.
Right now I wouldn't use CCA anymore without a good external dac.
:facepalm:

Feesh

Has anyone done any testing with CCA vs a raspberry pi solution (with a HAT)?

Could a significant bump in sound quality be expected over the CCA?

Would love to hear any experiences.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Unlikely. Both are bit perfect.

MrOtto

Anyone successfully managed to play 24/96 FLAC with foobar2000 and BubbleUPnP without sound artifacts on CCA optical output?
Every 24/96 FLAC file I test, there are some sound artifacts that's not there on 24/48 FLAC files.
I have tried OpenHome and DLNA media render and pretty much every type of settings in BubbleUPnP.
I have not tried the analog output on CCA.
The same sound artifacts are present when playing same files with Plex Media Server.

mSpot

Anyone successfully managed to play 24/96 FLAC with foobar2000 and BubbleUPnP without sound artifacts on CCA optical output?
Every 24/96 FLAC file I test, there are some sound artifacts that's not there on 24/48 FLAC files.
I have tried OpenHome and DLNA media render and pretty much every type of settings in BubbleUPnP.
I have not tried the analog output on CCA.
The same sound artifacts are present when playing same files with Plex Media Server.
Streaming above 48kHz rate is a known problem. There is supposed to be a firmware update that fixes it:
https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/5205344?hl=en
However, I was never able to receive the update. There are discussions about the issue on several forums and I could not find a single person who actually received an update. The firmware listed for Chromecast Audio is still the old version:
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7124014?hl=en
Given that Chromecast Audio is a discontinued product, and the support thread has been locked, and Google's history, I'm resigned to accepting that it will never be resolved. I stream to my CCA only at 44.1 and 48.

MrOtto

I have been a member of the preview program, but I know see on the official fw-page for Chromecasts both the regular and the preview fw is the same version, the version I have. There is no stutter, but some sound artifacts, maybe every time a higher frequency tone is played.
Strangely, the thread talks about a fw version: 1.44.185164 , while I have 1.42.172094, and which is stated as the latest.

How do I resample my 24/96 albums when playing with foobar2000 and BubbleUPnP? I can set output format to 24-bit, but no option to resample.
In DSP in foorbar2000, there is a "Resampler (PPHS)" and "Resampler (dbpoweramp/SSRC)" one of these ok to use?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do I resample my 24/96 albums when playing with foobar2000 and BubbleUPnP? I can set output format to 24-bit, but no option to resample.
In DSP in foorbar2000, there is a "Resampler (PPHS)" and "Resampler (dbpoweramp/SSRC)" one of these ok to use?

It would be better to resample the albums once, using something like SoX or Audacity, rather than resample on the go every time you play.

MrOtto

Last edited:

MrOtto

I tried instead with with my Topping E30 connected to the Toslink output of the CCA, and RCA cables to my Edifier S2000 Pro active speakers, and the sound is flawless on 24/96. Display on E30 shows 96 kHz when playing 24/96 FLAC on foobar2000 with BubbleUPnP output to DLNA CCA.

So it must be the DAC Toslink input of my Edifier S2000 Pro speakers causing this problem with artifacts in sound with 24/96 input on Toslink.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
no, no, no my question was regarding the CCA, does it make sense to improve CCAs performance by adding E30? :D
I know your question was from a couple of weeks past, but for me one advantage of using the E30 with my CCA is that I can use the E30 remote to switch the source between optical (CCA) and USB (PC). I've had the CCA for a while and have been using it's analog output. I can discern no audible difference from that to what I am doing now, but the convenience factor of being able to switch inputs like this, with a remote, is nice.

Mrpink200

Would love to hear any experiences.

i m really interested as well. Wondering if CCA with good power supply (linear ?) is worth the RPI with Allo Digione or even Digione signature (that are that complicated because of the pbs coming from the RPI structures itself)

Owis

Anyone worked out a way to cast Apple lossless to the CCA from Android (beta) considering it doesn’t natively support ALAC… ?

MrOtto

Using BubbleUPnP it should work. Install on phone and computer. If from a computer, use foobar2000 as a media server.

Owis

BubbleUPnP doesn’t support Apple Music unfortunately :( Thanks for the suggestion

MiRaGe_BG

Hello guys,

i would like to use CCA to my Gustard X26Pro via toslink. My question is - does toslink cable affect sound quality and does it matter if I buy an expensive one like Audioquest Carbon or just a regular one from Amazon for 10$?
Thanks in advance!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello guys,

i would like to use CCA to my Gustard X26Pro via toslink. My question is - does toslink cable affect sound quality and does it matter if I buy an expensive one like Audioquest Carbon or just a regular one from Amazon for 10$?
Thanks in advance!

They pretty much work or don't work.

MiRaGe_BG

They pretty much work or don't work.

I really hope so, because with XLRs I hear an obvious difference between Mogami, Vovox and a cheap ones from Amazon. But here may be the role of the cable is not the same in such a combo...

Top Bottom