• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of CHORD Qutest DAC

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their are lots of audiophiles who love analogue, if you only look at measurements then this is crazy.
Henry53, I see that you are relatively new to Audio Science Review. The reason this site exists is to discuss the objective (i.e. measurable) differences in audio equipment. So, almost by definition, any sonic differences that are claimed that are not measurable are “crazy”, or at least misinformed.

Amir’s response about the distortion differences between a tube amp and a DAC like the Qutest would be considered the consensus view here given what we know about the science of audiology.

D

Deleted member 24508

Henry53, I see that you are relatively new to Audio Science Review. The reason this site exists is to discuss the objective (i.e. measurable) differences in audio equipment. So, almost by definition, any sonic differences that are claimed that are not measurable are “crazy”, or at least misinformed.

Amir’s response about the distortion differences between a tube amp and a DAC like the Qutest would be considered the consensus view here given what we know about the science of audiology.
The science of audiology has three key components, the source, the pathway and the receiver. Measurements of the source are easy , and Amir does a great job, the environment is much more difficult to measure and the receiver will always be largely a matter of observation rather than numerical analysis. What emanates from the source is consistent and can be measured, what is "heard" by the receiver, their preferences and opinions is a different matter. Some like their steak rare others detest it, yet the steak may be cooked perfectly, some people just don't like the steak tasting like that, others don't like their music sounding like that. Remember all recorded music is fake, just pick which fake you like best.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The science of audiology has three key components, the source, the pathway and the receiver. Measurements of the source are easy , and Amir does a great job, the environment is much more difficult to measure and the receiver will always be largely a matter of observation rather than numerical analysis. What emanates from the source is consistent and can be measured, what is "heard" by the receiver, their preferences and opinions is a different matter. Some like their steak rare others detest it, yet the steak may be cooked perfectly, some people just don't like the steak tasting like that, others don't like their music sounding like that. Remember all recorded music is fake, just pick which fake you like best.

ASR is more thermometer than critic. But with a bit of critic. Sprinkled on the thermometer. To taste. With or without tubes, sir? Nice to see you, to see you nice. Isnt it? Anyway, yes.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some like their steak rare others detest it, yet the steak may be cooked perfectly, some people just don't like the steak tasting like that, others don't like their music sounding like that. Remember all recorded music is fake, just pick which fake you like best.

The difference being that beyond a certain level of measured transparency, all steaks taste the same :)

You might prefer eating at certain restaurant for the ambience or service but you’ll be getting identical steaks

D

Deleted member 24508

ASR is more thermometer than critic. But with a bit of critic. Sprinkled on the thermometer. To taste. With or without tubes, sir? Nice to see you, to see you nice. Isnt it? Anyway, yes.
Seriously I have a friend who buys his wine based on alcohol content, the higher the better, I see the same in some "audiophiles", now taste that's a much more difficult thing to assess! Figures are good but they are not the whole picture. Must say however I am glad to see the conclusions re PS Audio, always sounded like c--p to me.

Iglo

Forum Donor
I understand @Sir Sanders Zingmore is explaining that if the steaks are (measurable) all cooked to exactly the same degree they will be identical.

A DAC that measures transparant (any differences are not in the audible range) they will all sound the same.

Of course then you have a subjective preferences (the ambiance, location, company if we keep with the restaurant analogy), but that’s not really what ASR is about ;)

Not to say a subjective preference can’t be important. A specific brand, feature or design could make you more inclined to like product A more than B, but still... if any difference in sound output is way outside of what is possible for a human to hear they can be objectively seen as equal regarding how they sound.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

I understand @Sir Sanders Zingmore is explaining that if the steaks are (measurable) all cooked to exactly the same degree they will be identical.

A DAC that measures transparant (any differences are not in the audible range) they will all sound the same.

Of course then you have a subjective preferences (the ambiance, location, company if we keep with the restaurant analogy), but that’s not really what ASR is about ;)

Not to say a subjective preference can’t be important. A specific brand, feature or design could make you more inclined to like product A more than B, but still... if any difference in sound output is way outside of what is possible for a human to hear they can be objectively seen as equal regarding how they sound.

I vaguely recall that sound/music above human frequency thresholds can interact with audible frequencies and change the perception/listening experience. But I don't currently recall where I read that.

D

Deleted member 24508

So all dads that measure the same sound the
I vaguely recall that sound/music above human frequency thresholds can interact with audible frequencies and change the perception/listening experience. But I don't currently recall where I read that.
All sounds produce harmonics both above and below their actual frequency, they are believed to be inaudible due to the usually greater the greater 12dB difference in level, however I can clearly hear sounds with a good dac that have a tremendous range of level, I am sure other people can too. If not expensive hifi would be pointless!

insoc

Hi. Just wanted to make a QUICK REPORT based on my experience. My amps: PrimaLuna Dialogue HP Power Amplifier and NAD M22 V2. My speakers: ATC SCM7 V3 - Wharfedale Denton 80th - Wharfedale Linton 85th - B&W 706 S2. My DACS: The DAC from the Node 2i, the DAC from my NAD M10, the Chord MOJO and the Chord Qutest. My streamers: Node 2i and NAD M10.

Like most here, I always tend to go to the greener grass and while I enjoy very much my listening hobby, I'm always looking for ways to improve it. As you can see from my list of equipment, I've tried several combinations and everytime I've change a component I have noticed the impact on the sound quality. A conceivable difference is heard with my ATC vs my Wharfedales or my tube amp vs my digital amp, BUT, and here is what I want to report: It may sound cliché, but I SWEAR I've never seen a bigger improvement for good in my system than when I installed the CHORD QUTEST.

By far, really by far, the single best component I've had, and it changed my whole audio knowledge to the point that now, the quality of the DAC one is using would be ON PAR with the speakers whenever someone asked me for advice. I never thought that even the simplest recordings (e.g. one hit wonder recordings from the 80s) could have such amount of information. Another cliché: I am now really hearing the heart and soul of my favorite songs. My happiness is overwhelming!

The QUTEST does wonders with everything but so far, the best combination in my case amongst all my equipment has been: NODE 2i as streamer + NAD M22 V2 as amplifier + CHORD QUTEST as DAC and ATC SCM7 V3 for speakers.

Best regards,

Veri

Master Contributor
By far, really by far, the single best component I've had, and it changed my whole audio knowledge to the point that now, the quality of the DAC one is using would be ON PAR with the speakers whenever someone asked me for advice.

That's some serious exaggerating.

insoc

That's some serious exaggerating.

I know it could sound like an exaggeration. I could have thought that as well, but that's why I made my post because I'm very impressed about how much a DAC like this could mean to your system. That's why I also posted my equipment. I know what to expect when you make some changes to your system, I have experienced it; but, as I posted, the difference with and without the Qutest was abysmal, not subtle at all, and it made quite a positive improvement to all the speakers I've tested.

I'm as skeptic as everybody else, but if one has the opportunity to test it (the Qutest) they should...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it could sound like an exaggeration. I could have thought that as well, but that's why I made my post because I'm very impressed about how much a DAC like this could mean to your system. That's why I also posted my equipment. I know what to expect when you make some changes to your system, I have experienced it; but, as I posted, the difference with and without the Qutest was abysmal, not subtle at all, and it made quite a positive improvement to all the speakers I've tested.

I'm as skeptic as everybody else, but if one has the opportunity to test it (the Qutest) they should...
I am surprised.
I have much more resolving speakers than any you list and if I carefully match the levels I can't hear any clear enough difference between any of the DACs I have compared to consistently judge which of the ones is playing.

insoc

I have much more resolving speakers than any you list

I LOVE resolving speakers! Likewise, I thought ATC speakers were the most resolving speakers out there and would love to know what brands/models are your more resolving speakers to give them a try please. Thank you!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I LOVE resolving speakers! Likewise, I thought ATC speakers were the most resolving speakers out there and would love to know what brands/models are your more resolving speakers to give them a try please. Thank you!
Goldmund Epilog are the most resolving, probably but also Yamaha NS1000 and ProAc EBS (which have ATC mid dome and bass drivers, in fact like an ATC SCM50 in a BBC style cabinet.).
I use the Goldmunds for evaluations mostly because they are my favourites and the ones with which I am most recently familiar. The Yamahas live in my bedroom now though they were my main speakers for many years and I will never sell them, IMO they were ahead of their time technology wise.

insoc

Goldmund Epilog are the most resolving, probably but also Yamaha NS1000 and ProAc EBS (which have ATC mid dome and bass drivers, in fact like an ATC SCM50 in a BBC style cabinet.).
I use the Goldmunds for evaluations mostly because they are my favourites and the ones with which I am most recently familiar. The Yamahas live in my bedroom now though they were my main speakers for many years and I will never sell them, IMO they were ahead of their time technology wise.

Thank you, quite interesting. Alas, none of those speakers you said are available for me to buy; well maybe looking very thoroughly used ads but nevertheless I found fascinating the legacy of the NS1000. I found this 1976 review: https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/yamaha_ns-1000_loudspeaker/index.html

Are your Goldmund Epilog these $300,000 speakers mentioned here: https://www.cnet.com/news/goldmunds-300000-speaker-system/ ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

adamjohari

Denafrips Ares 2 vs Chord Qutest? I have a Topping D10s, Drop THX 789, SMSL DA-9 and B&W 607 S2

Top Bottom