• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of CHORD Qutest DAC

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This video from Benchmark, shared earlier on another thread here, convinced me that my bias against switching power supplies in favor of linear power supplies was flawed.

Not really. The first half of the videos are all SMPS for various consumer devices. It's possible to shield the transformer too. Both can have high interference or low interference. It's a matter of the care and effort to deal with these.
Also you can see that once the charger is a few inches away there's essentially no noise. That's why for all these years this is not a very prominent problem. (but it's usually some degree of problem just Not as bad as demonstrated).
So there isn't much takeaway here. Probably for studios, use starquad cables, that's it.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also you can see that once the charger is a few inches away there's essentially no noise.

Apologies that my edit happened before your response registered in my thread. My only point was that I was wrong in thinking that all switching power supplies produced more noise than all linear power supplies. The Benchmark video and article debunked that myth for me.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Apologies that my edit happened before your response registered in my thread. My only point was that I was wrong in thinking that all switching power supplies produced more noise than all linear power supplies. The Benchmark video and article debunked that myth for me.
Okay. I understand.
There's also another thing is that with SMPS, it's difficult to get clean low frequency in single-end. With balanced, perfect. Best solution for single ended (not elegant) is to use external linear supply that has minimum leakage.

Forum Donor
D90 non mqa version.

D90 info

2812879.jpg

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That multitone is extremely clean compared to other dacs in that generation.

Pritaudio

Still a huge step up from the chord mojo.
comparable to rme adi 2 dac, with or without a linear power supply.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still a huge step up from the chord mojo.
comparable to rme adi 2 dac, with or without a linear power supply.
Power supply doesn't matter at all. As Rob Watts said himself countless times.
That multitone is extremely clean compared to other dacs in that generation.
Yep. I didn't notice at first, but yes: this is stellar performance. The "BAD STUFF" marking is a bit misleading considering it happens around - 130dB.

Sam Spade

I've ordered a Qutest and it is on its way to go with a Spako Aries head amp /pre amp. Neither are balanced. Marantz CD80, PC and A&K SP1000M as sources. It's mainly for headphone use in my home office. I considered the RME Adi but i dont need an amp. Looking forward to getting it.

In contrast my main system is fully balanced. Cambridge audio 840C cd/dac to Burson conductor 3x reference dac/headamp/preamp to Rotel RB1080 power amp.

Balanced is not a deal breaker for some combos. In others it is essential. My 2 aystems are examples

Veri

Master Contributor
Balanced is not a deal breaker for some combos. In others it is essential. My 2 systems are examples
No, it's often not needed that's true. But the retail price of the Qutest is USD $1895. I would kinda expected a 2.5mm/4.4mm or XLR output in this price range. You have sub $300 DACs that have proper balanced XLRs in addition to the RCAs...

Dealux

Would it be stupid to get this for $1100 new? I kinda like the design in some ways but I am worried about ground loops somewhat and the D30Pro will be cheaper by a significant margin.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Would it be stupid to get this for $1100 new? I kinda like the design in some ways but I am worried about ground loops somewhat and the D30Pro will be cheaper by a significant margin.
Or similar performance with D10s. Ground loop is an issue tho.

Top Bottom