• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chord Mojo DAC and Amp

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
I still use mine, but I would not buy it now. Not sure what I would buy, but there are much better options. Mine still gets decent battery life (6-8 hours), but the EMI issue is really a pain.
I don’t think the EMI will be an issue for me as I only use my laptop or LG V40 with no cell service. However, I do worry about the heat and battery longevity. 6-8 hours should be plenty, but I don’t want to have to charge it more than it needs to be. Only other options for me is the upcoming FiiO Q3, or the Monoprice THX Portable, as I need a digital volume control for sensitive IEMs.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I detached the battery and running it off USB changer since day one:cool: (not really, but quite close).

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
I bought a mojo not long after they were released, but sold it after some time as it wasn't getting used much. See my avatar for how hot it gets when charging :)
Back then I had a lot of issues with emi - mostly GSM buzz. I would get the noise whether it was connected to my pc or my phone, but this was likely because my phone was always nearby.
A few weeks ago I bought a new mojo and I haven't had any issues with emi. Probably because 4G doesn't interfere as much as GSM.
I know that the mojo didn't measure very well on ASR, but subjectively I don't have any complaints about the sound - Particularly now that I don't have any noise issues.
I've attached a PCB photo from mine, if anybody is interested. The PCB revision is from 22/03/2017.

Attachments

• 20200902_120905.jpg
    20200902_120905.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,565

raif71

Major Contributor
I bought mine 2nd hand. No regrets. I like its power and sound. 3V out of its line-level voltage is an improvement over the E30 when pair it with L30 once in awhile. E30 will still be with L30, mojo is used mainly for its mobility.

dank0

I am using Mojo as my traveling DAC for my MacBook - I took out the battery and I am using it as a Desktop DAC. Its sounds fine. I also own Soncoz SGD1 DAC which sounds very good, but i cannot say nothing bad about the sound quality of Mojo. Its ok, I will not buy it second time.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
I am using Mojo as my traveling DAC for my MacBook - I took out the battery and I am using it as a Desktop DAC. Its sounds fine. I also own Soncoz SGD1 DAC which sounds very good, but i cannot say nothing bad about the sound quality of Mojo. Its ok, I will not buy it second time.
I resonate with your observations. But I made some money selling Mojo-Poly combo which funded towards some of the other gear

Vlach

Is there any particular reason you would not buy the Mojo again?
Also, which traveling DAC would you buy (today) for your MacBook?

Last edited:

welder911

Hi, mojo, will it lose performance if used without battery. If it will not lose performance, which is the best 5 volt adapter for it.

Thank you for all.

welder911

So in what mode should I connect my yamaha amp (a-s1200)? Because the sound is not very satisfying in line level mode.

Samib

Just sharing my recent experience with Mojo
i connected Mojo to my Win10 computer today and put on headphones. As soon as i played something there was this LOUD pink noise that almost blew my eardrums out. My ears are still ringing after couple hours. It seemed like that noise was played as max volume, though Mojo was at low volume setting
I reached out to Chord and they suggested it could be due to bad USB cable that briefly lost sync. So i switched to the USB cable that came with Fulla 2 and listened for a few hours and haven't experienced this issue; hopefully this solved it.
I have been into headphone setups, multiple DACs for many years and never seen an issue like this.
Safe listening to Mojo owners out there!

Giangi71

Just sharing my recent experience with Mojo
i connected Mojo to my Win10 computer today and put on headphones. As soon as i played something there was this LOUD pink noise that almost blew my eardrums out. My ears are still ringing after couple hours. It seemed like that noise was played as max volume, though Mojo was at low volume setting
I reached out to Chord and they suggested it could be due to bad USB cable that briefly lost sync. So i switched to the USB cable that came with Fulla 2 and listened for a few hours and haven't experienced this issue; hopefully this solved it.
I have been into headphone setups, multiple DACs for many years and never seen an issue like this.
Safe listening to Mojo owners out there!
Yes, it could happen but not only with Mojo...very very rare

phoenixsong

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Anybody aware if revisions have been made to the original Mojo prior to the release of Mojo 2?

Not aware of that. I guess that something was wrong in Amir’s test setup that day.

Top Bottom