• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chord Mojo DAC and Amp

Transfluxor

Did I understand correctly that the load impedance when testing Mojo was 600 Ohms?
I mean a test from Amir.

Last edited:

Beb

Hi, congratulations for your reviews.
I have Mojo and i'm very happy (with headphone Beyerdynamcs DT990 32 ohms). It's my first system audiophil.
If i want to upgrade my system, around 300€, what can you advise me to replace my Mojo ? (3 models portable and 3 models desktop ?). Sorry for my question very simplist...
Best regards.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi, congratulations for your reviews.
I have Mojo and i'm very happy (with headphone Beyerdynamcs DT990 32 ohms). It's my first system audiophil.
If i want to upgrade my system, around 300€, what can you advise me to replace my Mojo ? (3 models portable and 3 models desktop ?). Sorry for my question very simplist...
Best regards.
Check out the recommended list https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/amirs-recommended-list.8949/ within your budget.

But why do you want to upgrade? If you own a mojo, it's not a bad device. Do you need more power, features, or do you have any problems with it? If no, it's doubtful €300 will get you a 'better' device.

You could sell the mojo and buy a cheaper Topping DX3 or more expensive Sabaj D5. The first is great value, the second has balanced outputs, more inputs... Topping is also working on DX7 pro... it's all a matter of your requirements.

Beb

Thank you very much for your answer. I'm happy with mys system. The reason is just i'm curious to go further to hear an even better sound in the audio. After eventually sold Mojo...
Thanks again.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thank you very much for your answer. I'm happy with mys system. The reason is just i'm curious to go further to hear an even better sound in the audio. After eventually sold Mojo...
Thanks again.
I've heard some people here prefer khadas tone board ($90) to their mojo, prompting selling off their mojo. Khadas tone board or Topping D50s + JDS Atom amplifier is very good value $200 stack. DX3 Pro is very good combo device, but some have had reliability issues. If you want a combo device the DX3 pro is great though, also has bluetooth. Sabaj D5 has XLR outputs if you want balanced output. Topping DX7s like D5 is balanced, will soon be upgraded with better specs and bluetooth if you can wait and want bluetooth :)

However if you want it to be still portable none of those are really small enough hehe.

Harry1973

Amirm wrote on his test report:

"This review will be much more detailed than my usual ones since Chord DACs are sold on basis of technical claims. As I typically do, I start with testing the DAC portion of the unit and then the headphone amplifier. Since there is no separate line out, I resort to setting the output to 2 volts. There is a mode to put the unit in "line-out" mode but it produces too high a voltage of 3 volts which degrades the performance. I don't know where the notion of 3 volt comes from other than wanting to make sure the unit sounds louder than others."

Looking at the Golden Ears test report few pages back, they have most likely used the 3 v line level. Those graphs don´t show any performance degradation. Would some one like to clarify what performance degradation is meant by this?

(I understand the testing with 2V to be comparable with others, just a little confused about the statement. I use 3v line out with a amp that can take it. No audible difference with 2V other than volume)

Transfluxor

Amirm wrote on his test report:

"This review will be much more detailed than my usual ones since Chord DACs are sold on basis of technical claims. As I typically do, I start with testing the DAC portion of the unit and then the headphone amplifier. Since there is no separate line out, I resort to setting the output to 2 volts. There is a mode to put the unit in "line-out" mode but it produces too high a voltage of 3 volts which degrades the performance. I don't know where the notion of 3 volt comes from other than wanting to make sure the unit sounds louder than others."

Looking at the Golden Ears test report few pages back, they have most likely used the 3 v line level. Those graphs don´t show any performance degradation. Would some one like to clarify what performance degradation is meant by this?

(I understand the testing with 2V to be comparable with others, just a little confused about the statement. I use 3v line out with a amp that can take it. No audible difference with 2V other than volume)
Do not forget about the load impedance. A decrease in impedance leads to a significant increase in distortion. Why was Mojo tested with a load impedance of 600 Ohms but was placed on the general SINAD list where all or almost all devices were tested with a load impedance of 100 kOhm? This is obviously a losing situation for Mojo.

Harry1973

Hmm, I did not know that. -Until these things are clarified, I am convincing myself that Mojo is a killer dac.;) At least it sounds like one. Optical is the way to go with this one when used as a desktop dac.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Why was Mojo tested with a load impedance of 600 Ohms but was placed on the general SINAD list where all or almost all devices were tested with a load impedance of 100 kOhm? This is obviously a losing situation for Mojo.

Should probably put your question directly to @amirm, as I agree that the choice of different measurement load here is a bit odd. Could be a simple mistake? Could be trying to replicate some other person's test conditions?

However, I disagree about the "significant increase in distortion": 600 Ohms is an easy load. Albeit not as easy as 100 kOhm.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Ugggg... was not aware Chord was part of the + 5000 GBP Club for "interconnects". The only way a cable will mess up your sound is if it has a short in it. Any cable made to standard and not longer than really needed will transfer the electrical current perfectly. That's why so many people talk about wanting an amplifer that is basically just a wire with gain! (I know, preaching to the choir.)

It is not the same Chord company though.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Mojo is really hyped everywhere I read about it, people say it sounds very full and pleasant... I would really like to hear it and compare it to Topping D30 but I can't justify buying it just out of curiosity right now.

I own a Mojo ( = MObile JOy ) and I find it very pleasing. It is clearly meant for mobile use only and using it as a DAC in a system, driving a pre or a power amp, is disappointing. The combination with my AKG 812 or with the Oppo PM-3 works very well. It is very detailed, I do not head any noise, and for these applications, where I am on the move or even on planes (!) I find it perfect. Other DACs may measure better, but I liked the sound less.

I do not understand some of the critics. In the past we had awfully sounding power amps with astounding measurements, high power, and incredible amounts of global feedback. Measurements are not most important factor when choosing a component, otherwise we would still use those power amps. But they are proof of good engineering once the sound is also subjectively correct and non fatiguing.

Roberto

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the past we had awfully sounding power amps with astounding measurements, high power, and incredible amounts of global feedback. Measurements are not most important factor when choosing a component, otherwise we would still use those power amps. But they are proof of good engineering once the sound is also subjectively correct and non fatiguing.
Hum.

First, welcome to the forum. :)

Glad you like your Mojo.

But, I have to admit this last part is very confusing to me. What are those power amps you're mentioning? May you explain how you distinguish measurements from sound? Your last sentence especially, seems to mean that engineering and sound are two discinct parts or entities.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I do not understand some of the critics.

Welcome to the club... there is a clear reason for this though that makes a lot of sense.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Fellow memebers, with the help of my HiFi buddy we measured the Mojo using Toslink input. We used the standard test CD with tones. Very old school measurements using oscilloscope as we haven't got money to buy AP :p

At 1 kHz with 0 dB (~2Vrms) we achieved 0.00031%, ~ -110dB

1568900912471.png

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm confused, before edit it said 'at 0fbfs (~3Vrms)', which is it? 3Vrms would have better SNR.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm confused, before edit it said 'at 0fbfs (~3Vrms)', which is it? 3Vrms would have better SNR.
That's a typo on my part, the output was attenuated to 2 Vrms from 3 Vrms nominal using AVI S2000MC

Top Bottom