• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chord Mojo DAC and Amp

Music1969

Major Contributor
Here is a Mojo measurement with APx555.

http://goldenears.net/board/GR_Amp_DAC/5904087

Can someone kindly help to convert their numbers to SINAD ? I don't have the brain power :-(

1566734606997.png

1566734630322.png

1566734650448.png

Veri

Master Contributor

Veri

Master Contributor
And their APx555 measurement is also more in line with the Mojo spec (Rob Watts APx555 measurement).
But @amirm has the exact same one, right? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-a-new-audio-precision-analyzer-apx555.3442/
hence the "discrepancy", the measurements are obviously different while using the same machine. Dynamic range difference of 10+dB

I'm afraid amir's mojo measurement picked up a lot of interference and the other ones did not. Imo though, amir's measurements are more akin to its real-world performance and less synthetic....

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'm afraid amir's mojo measurement picked up a lot of interference and the other ones did not. Imo though, amir's measurements are more akin to its real-world performance and less synthetic....

This is a guess though right?

There are other possibilities? Like Amir’s measurement was not done properly?

I am very grateful for all his measurements but we can not always assume everything is done perfectly.

Even he has found errors in his own measurements and publicly corrected himself (which is classy). But maybe some mistakes have ‘slipped through the cracks’.

I don’t know. Just another possibility. I don’t think you can rule it out 100%

Hemi-Demon

Can someone kindly help to convert their numbers to SINAD ? I don't have the brain power :-(

View attachment 31946

View attachment 31947

View attachment 31948

Can you translate their setup and measuring standards? That data would make the mojo better than most of the devices running 9038pro chips, including the D1, and Matrix. If these reports are correct this mojo is better than the Hugo 2, Dac3 and Okto. I like the mojo, but it was no where near as clean as my Hugo 2. No way that device measures that well. If amirm can be incorrect....I bet the same cam be said of this reviewer

Music1969

Major Contributor
If these reports are correct this mojo is better than the Hugo 2

No, those measurements are close to Mojo's specs (Rob Watts APx555 measurements).

Hugo2's specs (Rob's APx555 measurements) are better than Mojo (as expected for the price difference)... You've probably seen Rob's APx555 measurements over on Head-Fi Forum.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Can you translate their setup and measuring standards? That data would make the mojo better than most of the devices running 9038pro chips, including the D1, and Matrix. If these reports are correct this mojo is better than the Hugo 2, Dac3 and Okto. I like the mojo, but it was no where near as clean as my Hugo 2. No way that device measures that well. If amirm can be incorrect....I bet the same cam be said of this reviewer
Hugo2 is close to qutest in performance. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ew-and-measurements-of-chord-qutest-dac.5981/ Here is qutest for reference. Hugo 2 is much better.
Mojo is better than hugo1 not hugo2.
0.0002% thd+n and 0.0001% thd of qutest vs
0.0003% thd+n and 0.0002% thd of mojo

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
On amir's measurements of mojo. You need to learn how to interpret spectrum instead of just comparing number. The distortion harmonics on mojo from amir's measurement is a bit higher than -120db(0.0001%), The contribution of the higher thd+n number can simply the high frequency noises. It's easily measurements artifacts.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Another thing is that. When you measure thd+n. The noise component is very apparent. Amir measures dacs at 2Vrms. Where it's very possible that goldenears measure at maximum amplitude. That will explain much better thd+n and better snr.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

View attachment 31946

View attachment 31947

View attachment 31948
THD + noise is the same thing as SINAD. It works out as 110dB. However as noted above the test was performed at a higher output voltage (see the Fft plot) than Amir's, hence you will get higher numbers. For comparison to the vast majority of dacs you need to test at 2 v rms.

Comparing the FFT plots the GE ones look like they have a lot more averaging, hence the lower level random noise will settle into the noise floor. Otherwise they are extremely similar.

Also, note @amirm comments regarding weighting. The Mojo has a characteristic increase in low frequency noise. If A weighted numbers are used the impact of this noise on the numbers will be significantly reduced. So we need to ensure we are comparing apples with apples before jumping to conclusions about the differences in measurements.

New Picture (10).png

Last edited:

deafenears

Forum Donor
Another thing is that. When you measure thd+n. The noise component is very apparent. Amir measures dacs at 2Vrms. Where it's very possible that goldenears measure at maximum amplitude. That will explain much better thd+n and better snr.
... which is something like 3V rms by default (I think Amir pointed that out for this or one of the other Chord products tested).

Ah, here, front page:

Measurements
This review will be much more detailed than my usual ones since Chord DACs are sold on basis of technical claims. As I typically do, I start with testing the DAC portion of the unit and then the headphone amplifier. Since there is no separate line out, I resort to setting the output to 2 volts. There is a mode to put the unit in "line-out" mode but it produces too high a voltage of 3 volts which degrades the performance. I don't know where the notion of 3 volt comes from other than wanting to make sure the unit sounds louder than others.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am bewildered.
Whilst evidence has it that a human can hear sounds with a difference of just over 120dB surely nobody is believing that in a 120 dB environment somebody would also be able to hear a sound at 0dB, that is more than ridiculous IME.
We listen on speakers which at best have distortion at -60dB.
No idea about headphones' distortion levels but it is unlikely to be another -60dB better :)
Whilst it is nice to see one bit of engineering being state of the art the idea that anybody could hear the differences like these whilst listening to music with even the dynamic range of classical recordings is inconceivable, never mind lots of modern pop music with even the lowest level sounds at -10dB.
Better SQ will come from better speakers and, perhaps, power amps with a better match to them not DACs.
I would bet a fiver nobody could hear the difference between any of the DACs in the top 3 tiers of Amir's tests by listening to music and probably even not most of the 4th.
To put this into perspective a first generation tape on my ¼ track Revox B77 at 7.5 ips has a SNR of 63dB (ASA-A) and a peak distortion of over 1.5% if I use +6dB VU peak to make hiss less audible between tracks, and everybody who listens is impressed by the realistic recording but hears he hiss between performances if listening in a quiet room.

D

Deleted member 9286

I maybe completely wrong and haven’t gone back to check, but weren’t Amir’s Mojo tests pre the APX555?

I know Rob Watts often quotes that the true performance of his DACs can only be measured by the APX555. I have no idea if this is true by the way.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I maybe completely wrong and haven’t gone back to check, but weren’t Amir’s Mojo tests pre the APX555?
This review is based on my new APx555 analyzer.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

THere is some strangeness in their tests. Showing both SNR and DNR is strange. When measured at max level, SNR = DNR.

Outside of that, as noted, they are using different output voltage than I used. My SINAD is limited by noise level and would improve if you increased output level. Ditto for SNR.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
THere is some strangeness in their tests. Showing both SNR and DNR is strange. When measured at max level, SNR = DNR.

Outside of that, as noted, they are using different output voltage than I used. My SINAD is limited by noise level and would improve if you increased output level. Ditto for SNR.
SNR and DNR have different procedure according to standards,-60db input/ no input. Whether the numbers are the same is not the issue. Most korean sites I have seen conduct measurements with both SNR and DNR.

Top Bottom