• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chord Hugo 2 DAC and Headphone Amplifier

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi Amir,

Could not find the SINAD for CH2, any reason why? same as Qutest...?

These measurements are old, from before he got the new analyser you see now in new reviews.

ZgSTar

If there is anyone in Europe with the same analyzer I'd be happy to send my Hugo2 for measurements. I think missing a review of the Hugo2 with the new AP should be fixed considering that it is considered by many some sort of holy grail device and one to reference against.
I have both the JDS Atom on an SMSL M500 and the Hugo2 on my desk right now (both connected to USBridge Sig) and I have been doing subjective A/B at matched volumes on both Hifiman Ananada and HD650 for a while. There isn't a clear winner in my mind which tells a lot about the value for money of Hugo2 however I keep coming back to the Hugo2 more as I relax more listening on it (aka less fatiguing) but I can't figure out what is it that my brain processes this way. I started the Harman Kardon "how to listen" training recently... hopefully, this will help my listening skills and will help me figure out why. In the meanwhile I bought a MiniDSP Ears... perhaps it will help me figure out.

somy

If there is anyone in Europe with the same analyzer I'd be happy to send my Hugo2 for measurements. I think missing a review of the Hugo2 with the new AP should be fixed considering that it is considered by many some sort of holy grail device and one to reference against.
I have both the JDS Atom on an SMSL M500 and the Hugo2 on my desk right now (both connected to USBridge Sig) and I have been doing subjective A/B at matched volumes on both Hifiman Ananada and HD650 for a while. There isn't a clear winner in my mind which tells a lot about the value for money of Hugo2 however I keep coming back to the Hugo2 more as I relax more listening on it (aka less fatiguing) but I can't figure out what is it that my brain processes this way. I started the Harman Kardon "how to listen" training recently... hopefully, this will help my listening skills and will help me figure out why. In the meanwhile I bought a MiniDSP Ears... perhaps it will help me figure out.
Agree would be nice to have full review and compare to the recent ak4499 and es9038 devices. There is a review on chord qutest though which should be slightly better than Hugo 2. Are you saying M500 sq similar to Hugo 2?

Veri

Master Contributor
Agree would be nice to have full review and compare to the recent ak4499 and es9038 devices. There is a review on chord qutest though which should be slightly better than Hugo 2. Are you saying M500 sq similar to Hugo 2?
If you go by anecdotal/subjective experiences, the Topping D90 AK4499 DAC head-fi thread has someone claiming it is at least as good as Qutest, which correlate with the measurements which are also great. So don't go "more expensive must mean better sounding" way of thinking. The recent AK4499 ones like Topping D90, SMSL M400, Gustard A18 etc seem to reach chord level of performance at affordable price range.

somy

If you go by anecdotal/subjective experiences, the Topping D90 AK4499 DAC head-fi thread has someone claiming it is at least as good as Qutest, which correlate with the measurements which are also great. So don't go "more expensive must mean better sounding" way of thinking. The recent AK4499 ones like Topping D90, SMSL M400, Gustard A18 etc seem to reach chord level of performance at affordable price range.

Thanks! I did seriously considered Hugo 2 mainly due to its portability. But then I realised it doesn't support xlr out and not to mention mqa (which I need for Tidal). I'm curious how ak4499 compare to es9038pro though, and more concrete topping d90 vs smsl m400.
But anyways given hugo2 is so popular it deserve a place in the rank :)

jsts

But anyways given hugo2 is so popular it deserve a place in the rank :)

I urgently and strongly agree! Give many, many measurements! :)

Just sharing my experience: I sold my DAC RME ADI-2 and switched to Chord Hugo 2. The reason is simple: RME ADI-2 is very sharp, very detailed, very bright DAC. I chose a slightly calmer Hugo 2 (as desktop DAC) for comfortable listening on STAX SR-007 electrostats.

Veri

Master Contributor

Just sharing my experience: I sold my DAC RME ADI-2 and switched to Chord Hugo 2. The reason is simple: RME ADI-2 is very sharp, very detailed, very bright DAC. I chose a slightly calmer Hugo 2 (as desktop DAC) for comfortable listening on STAX SR-007 electrostats.
Funny cause other subjective opinions are that the AK4493 in the RME sounds very 'soft' due to the Velvet Sound chip. Almost like third-hand subjective online experiences can't be trusted at all...

Last edited:

jsts

Funny cause other subjective opinions are that the AK4493 in the RME sounds very 'soft' due to the Velvet Sound chip. Almost like third-hand subjectjve online experiences can't be trusted at all...

Even DACs need to listen to yourself personally.

The difference between the analytical ADI-2 and the calmer Hugo 2 on "California" by James Blunt is especially clear. At the beginning of the song on ADI-2 you can even hear the movement of saliva in his throat. Sorry for the anatomical details. On Hugo 2, you just hear a melodious wheeze. It's not for nothing that the ADI-2 came out of studio equipment and is renowned for its monitor precision.

Again, this applies to listening on super-detailed electrostatic headphones. On classic dynamic headphones, the RME ADI-2 behaves perfectly as DAC (but not as amp).

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t see any detailed verification of a volume matched double blind test that tells us what you’re experiencing is devoid of sighted bias listening and improper volume matching. Both DACs (fed through an audibly transparent headphone amp) should sound identical under those listening conditions

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

ZgSTar

Is the Hugo2 built in amp enough to drive the stax properly?

Funny enough I own both the new adi dac and the hugo2.

jsts

I don’t see any detailed verification of a volume matched double blind test that tells us what you’re experiencing is devoid of sighted bias listening and improper volume matching. Both DACs (fed through an audibly transparent headphone amp) should sound identical under those listening conditions

I thought so too. But they sound different. And that can be heard very clearly at trebles.

Veri

Master Contributor
I thought so too. But they sound different. And that can be heard very clearly at trebles.
Almost 100 pages on the subject https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...le-thinking-a-dac-has-a-sound-signature.9245/
But suffice to say, unless you have some ABX logs to prove it, chances are very slim that you can reproduce hearing that difference in treble, it's about as scientific as being in a good mood or in a bad one and the relation on your engagement/enjoyment of music..

jsts

But suffice to say, unless you have some ABX logs to prove it, chances are very slim that you can reproduce hearing that difference in treble, it's about as scientific as being in a good mood or in a bad one and the relation on your engagement/enjoyment of music..

I see. I used the RME ADI-2 with dynamic headphones and did not experience any discomfort with listening. After switching to the electrostats, some albums (not all!) began to be heard simply uncomfortable, all sounds were played too analytically and clearly. So I tried to change the DAC and it helped - the sounds became less sharp and comfort returned (with electrostats features).

For the rest, I am not suggesting anything. Just shared my observations :)

Veri

Master Contributor
I see. I used the RME ADI-2 with dynamic headphones and did not experience any discomfort with listening. After switching to the electrostats, some albums (not all!) began to be heard simply uncomfortable, all sounds were played too analytically and clearly. So I tried to change the DAC and it helped - the sounds became less sharp and comfort returned (with electrostats features).

For the rest, I am not suggesting anything. Just shared my observations :)
:) I recognize this feeling well. Many people have had similar thoughts at some point. Amir has a similar electrostatic rig by the way. The funny thing about these seemingly obvious differences, is that when you volume match the strident and the relaxed DAC to the same output level (as closely as possible) and do a rigorous A-B test, for some reason the differences you heard very clearly, all but disappear. There is zero proof that DACs at these performance levels should sound any different. Imaginable, yes there can be lots of anecdotes on things sounding so and so, but it is super subjective and very difficult to actually repeat. Consistently. Not even mentioning the whole bias thing for the most expensive brand, new toy syndrome, ...

Subjective opinions and impressions are a real can of worms, you'd have a hard time convincing most people on this forum of your convictions in any case.

ZgSTar

:) I recognize this feeling well. Many people have had similar thoughts at some point. Amir has a similar electrostatic rig by the way. The funny thing about these seemingly obvious differences, is that when you volume match the strident and the relaxed DAC to the same output level (as closely as possible) and do a rigorous A-B test, for some reason the differences you heard very clearly, all but disappear. There is zero proof that DACs at these performance levels should sound any different. Imaginable, yes there can be lots of anecdotes on things sounding so and so, but it is super subjective and very difficult to actually repeat. Consistently. Not even mentioning the whole bias thing for the most expensive brand, new toy syndrome, ...

Subjective opinions and impressions are a real can of worms, you'd have a hard time convincing most people on this forum of your convictions in any case.

I have been trying to decide to let go the Hugo2, which now sits in my secondary system, for a while in favor of something cheaper like e30 or even m500 with Atom. I even bought a minidsp ears for volume matching and AB testing and... While I can't properly tell them apart in AB testing I still find myself liking the Hugo2 more for prolonged listening sessions. It feels more relaxing... And the fact that I can't scientifically find a reason is bugging me a lot, like an open circle for someone with ocd.

I am thinking it could be something do to with the internal up sampling algorithm or something related to channel balance or simply a very precise volume control which allows me to play exactly at the volume I want.

I am comparing the listening through the headphone out so after the amp.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have been trying to decide to let go the Hugo2, which now sits in my secondary system, for a while in favor of something cheaper like e30 or even m500 with Atom. I even bought a minidsp ears for volume matching and AB testing and... While I can't properly tell them apart in AB testing I still find myself liking the Hugo2 more for prolonged listening sessions. It feels more relaxing... And the fact that I can't scientifically find a reason is bugging me a lot, like an open circle for someone with ocd.

I am thinking it could be something do to with the internal up sampling algorithm or something related to channel balance or simply a very precise volume control which allows me to play exactly at the volume I want.
Well if you like it and find it worth the cost, just enjoy your ownership of it ;) you can say what you want about Chord but their high end offerings are definitely very good as opposed to other boutique brands.

Top Bottom