• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Cambridge DacMagic Plus

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting thread, I had a DM+ for a few years in my separates system. During that time, I tried out several alternatives, and always came back to the CA device, as I preferred it, this was with J River, various Roksan and hegel amps, and ATC floorstanders. However, although I rarely used it, I always felt that the headphone amp wasn't great, it was rough / brash sounding with a sloppy sound. The output impedance measurements might explain it (I was using Grado SR80 which are 38 ohm from memory).

pma

Major Contributor
I would like to add my 12 cents re function and reliability of this DAC. I have owned DacMagic+ for 5 years, since 2016. The unit has been in every day use, except for my holidays or business trips. There has not been a single issue during this 5 year period. I appreciate balanced output and 2 independent switchable digital inputs, both coax/Toslink. I have 4 different sources connected to these inputs, 2 via coax and 2 via Toslink. Yes only one, either coax or Toslink can be "ON" same time on the same input. However there is still a choice of 4 digital sources which is very convenient, so I switch between CD, TV, Apple TV and DVD sources. And USB input of course. This is excellent and I would not change it for a single digital input DAC. Re sound and parameters, again no reason to make a change. I use low noise analog preamp behind the DAC, so the only possible shortcoming of higher output noise is fixed by not using digital volume control of the DAC. This improves the really usable S/N of the whole chain to the level as with the best current DACs. Several blind, level matched A/B tests with another good DACs have never shown an audible difference. The reliability and versatility (number of inputs and balanced output) are a key to me.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to add my 12 cents re function and reliability of this DAC. I have owned DacMagic+ for 5 years, since 2016. The unit has been in every day use, except for my holidays or business trips. There has not been a single issue during this 5 year period.
My issues with this preamp DAC have nothing to do with its 'sound' or functionality, which is pretty high--more than I require for my PC. It's the ergonomic aspects.

As I've mentioned, my unit's USB LED is out, so you can't directly tell from the front panel that it's switched to USB. However it is easy enough to figure out because the 'incoming sample rate' LED still works, and the 'Digital 1 and 2' and 'Ext' lights still work. I push the selector switch until all the source lights are out but the sample rate indicator is lit. Then I know it's on USB.

Also, the volume control is wonky as hell. Amir commented on that in his review. How this got past the design stage and into production is something I'll not hope to understand. Hopefully that is fixed on the replacement model.

Back to volume control, it has a horrible feel. It is a rotary encoder meaning its value is digitized and used. As such, it has no minimum of maximum like an analog control would. That is fine but what is not fine is the stiff feel of it. Usually rotary encoders are rather lose with detents. Neither is here. Furthermore, I found that it jumps in rather coarse values.

pma

Major Contributor
Also, the volume control is wonky as hell. Amir commented on that in his review.

I use it with maximum volume setting so the volume knob is turned off. Analog volume control behind the DAC always gives better S/N than any kind of digital volume control. It is pointless to have great SINAD at 4V output level if the power amp accepts maximum of 0.6V input voltage to reach the maximum power. 16 dB is automatically lost with digital volume control. Level diagrams of the whole chain are not taken into account here.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use it with maximum volume setting so the volume knob is turned off. Analog volume control behind the DAC always gives better S/N than any kind of digital volume control. It is pointless to have great SINAD at 4V output level if the power amp accepts maximum of 0.6V input voltage to reach the maximum power. 16 dB is automatically lost with digital volume control. Level diagrams of the whole chain are not taken into account here.
I should review the documentation. But I'll ask. Is there a way to bypass the volume pot?

Edit:

It's worth noting that the DacMagic Plus actually ships in its default setting which has the digital preamp mode enabled. To disable this mode, switch the DacMagic Plus off and then push and hold the volume control in, whilst switching the DacMagic Plus on. The DacMagic Plus confirms the setting by flashing the source LEDs downwards for digital preamp mode and upwards for Fixed Line Level mode. If you rotate the volume control counter clockwise beyond the minimum point, this turns on the mute, which is indicated by the source LED flashing constantly.

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
This DAC is very good, maybe excellent even by today's measures. I used my E1DA Cosmos ADC to make a measuring report:

It is same good even with 192kHz sampling rate.

I still appreciate the versatility, 2 independent digital SPDIF inputs, each coax/opto, and 1 USB. Both SE and balanced output. It has remained my main DAC, just for these features.

dedero

Sorry for bumping again this thread, just wanted to say thank you @amirm for taking the time to review this DAC. I started with a Dacmagic 100 and it sounded very good to me, then upgraded to the Dacmagic plus and I cannot be happier. I found this post while researching to make an upgrade after a couple of years having it (since 2018). I'm fully agree with @pma post above mentioning the whole features. I still cannot find a good reason to upgrade it.. I have it connected to a Sansui AU-717 and it sounds awesome, the USB input using Foobar2000 with ASIO driver, a Bluesound Node N130 to make the Sansui "modern" using the Coax input and it also sounds great. I'm using the ****** volume knob because if I leave it with the pre-amp mode disabled, I cannot rise the Sansui's volume more than 1/4 because it's very loud. I would like to have a remote control for the volume mainly.
I'm tempted to upgrade to a Dacmagic 200 but only because it has a newer DAC chip but it has no digital output but it's not something I really use..
On the other hand, based on the connectivity, price and SQ, I cannot find any other replacement to be honest..

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Sorry for bumping again this thread, just wanted to say thank you @amirm for taking the time to review this DAC. I started with a Dacmagic 100 and it sounded very good to me, then upgraded to the Dacmagic plus and I cannot be happier. I found this post while researching to make an upgrade after a couple of years having it (since 2018). I'm fully agree with @pma post above mentioning the whole features. I still cannot find a good reason to upgrade it.. I have it connected to a Sansui AU-717 and it sounds awesome, the USB input using Foobar2000 with ASIO driver, a Bluesound Node N130 to make the Sansui "modern" using the Coax input and it also sounds great. I'm using the ****** volume knob because if I leave it with the pre-amp mode disabled, I cannot rise the Sansui's volume more than 1/4 because it's very loud. I would like to have a remote control for the volume mainly.
I'm tempted to upgrade to a Dacmagic 200 but only because it has a newer DAC chip but it has no digital output but it's not something I really use..
On the other hand, based on the connectivity, price and SQ, I cannot find any other replacement to be honest..
for $350 there are lots of better options just like there were in 2019. I had a Topping DX7 in 2017 or 2018 and it has better performance and more features. Still works today after more than 20000 hours of usage.
There is JDS Labs as well as other companies that provide affordable high quality products. So DacMagic isn't the only company providing something decent.
If you feel the need to upgrade after all these years and you want to stay with the same brand then see if there is a review on the newer model.

Bernard23

for $350 there are lots of better options just like there were in 2019. I had a Topping DX7 in 2017 or 2018 and it has better performance and more features. Still works today after more than 20000 hours of usage.
There is JDS Labs as well as other companies that provide affordable high quality products. So DacMagic isn't the only company providing something decent.
If you feel the need to upgrade after all these years and you want to stay with the same brand then see if there is a review on the newer model.
I don't think my jds element is any better than the dac magic that I used to own.

Bernard23

Did have DM plus for around 6-7 years (tried various more expensive alternatives, found no improvement worth paying for). Currently own jds element 2 which has a way better headphone amp than the DM, which was admittedly poor in comparison.

pma

Major Contributor
I have been happily surprised that the DM+ works directly with iPad, without any additional SW, just using this lightning to USB adapter

IMG_2996.jpeg

And it works with full resolution.

BTW, I measure SINAD of 104.1dB, though the official review (post #1) says 99.3dB?

iPad USB - DM+ 1k.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom