• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Preamp

Chester

I need me to get one of those, but they are rare in the used markets here :)

I don't understand, 74dB of noise (MM) is 6dB smaller than 80dB of noise (MC)?

Sorry, I missed the (all
Important minus) -74dB and -80dB :)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I missed the (all
Important minus) -74dB and -80dB :)
Can't explain it then either. I too would expect more noise with MC.

Chester

Thanks anyway @TheBatsEar .

Any of you analog experts out there able to offer any advice or thoughts on this one?

Much appreciated.

BIGB

Hi All,

I have a Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Preamp, and I am planning to buy an MC Cartridge Denon DL-103R, will it be ok technically?
Specs for DL-103R : Output Voltage - 0.25 mV and Output Impedance - 14 ohms.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone help me understand what’s going on with my Cambridge Duo.

I have it plugged into an RME ADI-2 Pro. I noticed that MC mode had a lower noise floor that MM. MC was about 80dB while MM was 74dB. With my limited knowledge, I had expected MM to be quieter?

I disconnected everything and tried just the Duo and RME connected, to see if anything changed. It did not.

Is this expected or could something be broken?

Thanks

Chester
Are those figures for the Duo? Where did you find them? This is what Amir said in the review:

“Bottom line, you have to use a lot more gain with MC input and that translates into nearly 20 dB higher noise level.”

attaboy

I just picked up a Duo yesterday, and was a little worried about the headphone amp based on the review here. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 380 Pro headphones, which are rated at 54 Ω, so mid-to-low impedance. I have the Duo connected to a Pro-Ject turntable with an Ortofon 2M red cartridge (MM). The headphones sound terrific plugged into the Duo, with plenty of power to spare and no perceptible difference in response than when I plug them into other adequately-powered headphone amps. So at least for me, the lack of headphone power has proven to be of no concern.

Nippithon

BTW, has someone found a way to disable the auto-off feature? Annoys me a bit, i always start to play the record and then wonder why there is no music.

I don't own one but the user manual (p3) says:

DISABLING THE AUTO POWER DOWN
If you wish to disable the APD function, then press and hold the power button for 5 seconds when in standby.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

rolloj

I know you are in Italy, but you can look at Ebay USA and find the unit (refurbished) for $199.00 Free shipping, but I think that is for US only

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a used Duo for sale for 150€, in Rome/Italy. Chances are high that the seller agrees to shipping, because the device is small:

I have mine, but maybe someone else hunts for one.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't own one but the user manual (p3) says:

DISABLING THE AUTO POWER DOWN
If you wish to disable the APD function, then press and hold the power button for 5 seconds when in standby.
That worked, thanks a bunch. :cool:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a used Duo for sale for 150€, in Rome/Italy. Chances are high that the seller agrees to shipping, because the device is small:

I have mine, but maybe someone else hunts for one.
Thanks - I sent this over to another thread from a guy in Italy who was looking to upgrade his phono.

Paul Thurston

Just a quick note to say thank you for the review. I bought one to replace my knackered old Musical Fidelity X-PHONO after reading it and it's a brilliant bit of kit.

Plyske

Hello!

I have a NAD 368 amp, Technics 1210mk2 turntable with a Ortofon 2M Red cartridge.

I have though about getting a phono pre amp since I'm not totally satisfied with the built-in one.

Would the Cambridge Duo fit - and work well - in this setup? Or should I look for something else?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would the Cambridge Duo fit
Yes, and it's an excellent phono-preamp. You would have lots of room to grow by using different cartridges.
It supports MM and MC cartridges, but there should be a cheaper version that only supports MM, maybe save some money towards a few more new LPs?
PXL_20220414_131823388.jpg

Plyske

Yes, and it's an excellent phono-preamp. You would have lots of room to grow by using different cartridges.
It supports MM and MC cartridges, but there should be a cheaper version that only supports MM, maybe save some money towards a few more new LPs?
View attachment 298342
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I the nearer future I've thought about getting an Ortofon Concorde 40. That one would also fit with the Cambridge Duo, right?

Top Bottom