• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Preamp

SmoothR

Dear Amirm, is it possible to review the REGA Fono MM MK3? Should be as good or rather better than the Cambridge Duo. This would be great to see your measuremts of this device!

ribosradagast

Dear Amirm, is it possible to review the REGA Fono MM MK3? Should be as good or rather better than the Cambridge Duo. This would be great to see your measuremts of this device!
I've got one that I'd be happy to send in if you cover shipping :)

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

SmoothR

@Angsty "blown up"?! I don't think so... Yes, the Cambridge Duo have a better SINAD. Yes, the Cambridge Duo ist the better device. No, the Rega Phono isn't that bad if you checking all the charts comparing to the DUO. It is slighty not that good, overall. This is the theoretical part. I don't think that you can hear any difference, cause the best MM cartridges have a max. range of 80db.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Angsty "blown up"?! I don't think so... Yes, the Cambridge Duo have a better SINAD. Yes, the Cambridge Duo ist the better device. No, the Rega Phono isn't that bad if you checking all the charts comparing to the DUO. It is slighty not that good, overall. This is the theoretical part. I don't think that you can hear any difference, cause the best MM cartridges have a max. range of 80db.
What was blown up was the idea that the REGA Fono MM MK3 "should be as good or rather better than" the Cambridge Duo. It is not, despite the more prestigious brand name. The Rega is "worse" in relative terms, but maybe not "bad" in audible terms. A "shrug" versus a "salute".

I'm not hating on the Rega. I'm just pointing out that the brand name and the price premium did not deliver better measured performance. For a variety of reasons, an owner could possibly enjoy the Rega more than the Duo. I shudder at the idea of submitting my beloved phono for measurement, which cost me more than the Duo and the Rega combined!

ribosradagast

I shudder at the idea of submitting my beloved phono for measurement, which cost me more than the Duo and the Rega combined!

DO IT!

As an aside: This is my Rega being measured, on @SmoothR 's request, and I must say that I do enjoy it more (subjectively) than the Cambridge, having owned both. The Cambridge had to get returned because of an annoying whine that their techs "couldn't reproduce" of course.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Got the Cambridge because a price at 239€, I was waiting since months.

It replaces an old NAD very tired with bad contacts and all.

With a very modest cartridge and an old Technics I am very happy to be able to listen to my old records, now without to much noises from the preamp.

Thanks @amirm for this review, it helped me a lot the good choice.

dlieb

Can anybody tell whether there would be a problem using a higher output MM cart (Rega Exact puts out 6.8-7.2mv) with this phono stage. I know Cambridge Audio does not recommend it, but can't figure out whether it would be an actual problem.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It should work fine. Where does CA not recommend it? Thats only a bit more than the usual 5mv and the specs for the Duo say it has a greater than 30db overload margin.

dlieb

It should work fine. Where does CA not recommend it? Thats only a bit more than the usual 5mv and the specs for the Duo say it has a greater than 30db overload margin.
Thanks. I figured it would be okay, but I wanted somebody more informed to take a look. In the (skeletal) manual it specifies the MM inputs are for 3-5mv carts, though it doesn't say anything else.

Flo

The Duo seems to be competently designed and attractively priced so I am happy to put it on my recommended list.

Thanks for this review Amirm.

I am thinking about buying this and a Topping Pre90 so I could use my turntable and a dac (D90 for example) on the same system, do you think it would work well?
On Wolf's Pre90 review thread there are lots of comments about compatibility issues dur to low impedance (2k) but I'm totally lost amongst all the technical arguements: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...re90-ext90-preamplifier-extender.17635/page-7

Thanks!

Dgob

Hi Amir, would you recommend these or an alternative to use with a pair of KRK Rokit 5 gen 4 monitors?

Many thanks

nolans

Forum Donor
I recently upgraded to a Sumiko Moonstone stylus on my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo and ordered a Cambridge Alva Duo to replace a Pro-Ject Phono Box DC. Someone on Reddit told me that since the Alva Duo's gain at 1KHZ is 39db and the Sumiko Moonstone's output is only 3.0mV they would not pair well and that I should seek out a Schiit Mani instead. Could someone with more technical expertise than myself explain why the Duo would be a less than ideal pairing?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently upgraded to a Sumiko Moonstone stylus on my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo and ordered a Cambridge Alva Duo to replace a Pro-Ject Phono Box DC. Someone on Reddit told me that since the Alva Duo's gain at 1KHZ is 39db and the Sumiko Moonstone's output is only 3.0mV they would not pair well and that I should seek out a Schiit Mani instead. Could someone with more technical expertise than myself explain why the Duo would be a less than ideal pairing?

The lower gain in the phono preamp means you have to rely more on the gain in your preamplifier, integrated amplifier, or receiver. 40db - 45db is a typical gain range for a MM phono preamp, so the Duo is just a bit shy. 5.0mV output is more typical for MM cartridges these days, so the Sumiko is also a bit low, so the commenter was likely worried about the compounded impact.

It should not be alarming unless you have already maxed out the gain in the attached amplifier system. The Duo outperforms the Mani by a fair bit on SINAD and overload margin, which will likely matter more to sound quality than the lower MM gain. The Duo would almost certainly be better if you upgrade to a MC cartridge later. Amir says "there is a large gap in performance."

See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-schiit-mani-phono-stage.8052/

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wished I had not read this :)
I don't need MC but the Solo response deviations are a concern although I doubt I could hear them.

rcstevensonaz

DWI

I've just read this review because it's apparently the top performer.

Well, I've used a few m/c phono amps in the last 5 years, perhaps 6 or 7, and there are some that are very quiet and well under £1,000. The most impressive was the Vertere Phono Mk2, purchased used for £600. Anyway, vinyl set-up for cheaper m/c phono amps is always a balance between gain, noise and required volume.

Forget noise and distortion, what makes vinyl work is dynamics. How is this measured?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Forget noise and distortion, what makes vinyl work is dynamics. How is this measured?
Signal to noise and dynamic range. Usually, the medium and the cartridge are the choke points.

Top Bottom