• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Bryston BDA-2 DAC

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a (brief) review and detailed measurements of the Bryston BDA-2 DAC. It is kindly loaned to me by a local audiophile member. I tested the BDA-2 using my old analyzer a while back but he was interested to see how it measures with my new tests. The BDA-2 came out back in 2014 I think and cost US $2,795. Typical of Bryston gear it comes with 20 year warranty! This should preserve its resale price very well.

It is a serious, business looking product like the rest of Bryston line:

Byrston BDA-1 DAC Measured and Reviewed.jpg

I like the clear set of LEDs indicating what is what as far as inputs and sampling rates.

Tons of inputs on the back:

Byrston BDA-1 DAC Back Panel Measured and Reviewed.jpg

For my testing I only used USB In and XLR out.

DAC Audio Measurements
As usual, we start with our dashboard view:

Byrston BDA-1 DAC.png

I wish the one channel was not much worse than the other. If I average the two, the SINAD is competent but not in the top bracket:
Best Audio DACs Tested 2019.png

Dynamic range is very good resolving 19 bits:

Byrston BDA-1 DAC Dynamic Range Audio Measurements.png

Linearity is excellent:

Byrston BDA-1 DAC Linearity Audio Measurements.png

Jitter is likewise very clean:
Byrston BDA-1 DAC Jitter Audio Measurements.png

As is IMD versus level:
Byrston BDA-1 DAC IMD Audio Measurements.png

Multitone is very good:
Byrston BDA-1 DAC Multitone Audio Measurements.png

Conclusions
The BDA-2 as expected, comes from a company that knows engineering. Despite its age, it produces very good to excellent measurements.

Today though, there are many other choices so it is not competitive with best in class products. Would be interesting to test the BDA-3 and see where it finishes (although that one costs close to $4,000).

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

No one is a better poster child for the saying, "you can never have enough money" than me. So please donate generously using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Tks

Major Contributor
For 2014, and a company selling products like a DAC for this price, to match the Topping's IMD metrics is saying a lot(didn't have the luxury of leaning on AKM's DAC chip safe to say?)... Nice to see someone break the mold out of the usually expected flops of products in this price category and especially of products a few years back.

A 20 year warranty? We need more of these. The only thing that comes close are my Herman Miller chairs at half that length.

Also, bring back multiple Optical connections.. some things were better back then it seems.

Tks

Major Contributor
Actually, they did. It's not specified which, but their brochure does indicate the use of an AKM IC. It's possible that it was already AKM 4490.

You're right. I read the manual, and not the Brochure.

Ah well :\

SEKLEM

Even if it costs much more than Topping and SMSL DACs with better overall performance at significantly lower cost, it's western world engineered and manufactured. It's competent, which is more than can be said of another very pricey DAC recently reviewed from an American manufacturer that appears to be doing little more than resting on its laurels.

folzag

Worth diving into testing the quality of its PLL on the optical inputs? Or has the FUD been adequately, if not thoroughly, debunked?

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
There's a good chance that Bryston would have a look at the channel imbalance and, if it is something that can be corrected, fix it for free.

SMc

Nice to avoid disappointment! Bryston has a new dac/streamer/preamp combination, the BDA 3.14, that could be the heart of a well-engineered (and expensive) system. The SP3 might be the surround processor that avoids the LSI problem, albeit one that eschews room correction.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
The problem with Bryston is, as I see it, a price structure that is rising far faster than inflation. This isn't, in itself, unusual but is a bit galling given the long life cycles of their products (which means that the cost of R&D is easily recouped before the product is anywhere near to being replaced completely).

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
A 20 year warranty? We need more of these. The only thing that comes close are my Herman Miller chairs at half that length.

Koss had the best warranty in the business in the late 70s and early 80s. This is scan from an old audio magazine. I love this ad.

1570227496200.png

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even if it costs much more than Topping and SMSL DACs with better overall performance at significantly lower cost, it's western world engineered and manufactured. It's competent, which is more than can be said of another very pricey DAC recently reviewed from an American manufacturer that appears to be doing little more than resting on its laurels.
And it has a lot of inputs most cheaper DAC's omit.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stereophile has measured the BDA-3:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/bryston-bda-3-da-processor-measurements

Specs state 0.002% THD+N, aka a SINAD of ~94dB. So, worse than the BDA-2; however the BDA-2 states they same and does better, so who knows.
Stereophile measured 0.001 % THD with a load of 600 Ohm. THD may be better with a typical load (like 10 kOhm).
@amirm: which load did you use for the dash board? Could you repeat with 600 Ohm if the load was much higher?

Top Bottom