• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

l_lama

Well, what about Node 2i optical output with external DAC? Does it make sense to implement or implementations issues affects digital output too?

netizen

I don't think so. My experience with coaxial output and external DAC confirms that. I'm using Node 2i with audiolab M-Dac Plus.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the performance of Bluesound Node 2i feeding a Topping D30 DAC via coax S/PDIF:

View attachment 21546

As you see performance is much improved.

Those of you wanting the Topping D30 coax SINAD, you have that one there. :)
That's a relief. I have mine running through aTopping D70. Sounds pristine to my ears.

cd45123

Maybe it's just me, but the node 2i DAC sounds fine. That doesn't mean I don't want to test power cords, PSU mods, etc, but right now, idk rca'd to my integrated, sounds good.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I felt it sounded pretty good to me as well but after installing the E30 and later the D70 I can tell a slight improvement over the stock DAC but I believe the other components in the chain must be capable of revealing the capabilities of the outboard DAC or one may not appreciate the improvement.

realdb

Thanks for the review. I am using the Node2i to feed digital DSP Genelec 8340s via coax out. I use the BluOs app to play Tidal and TV is connected via optical. I am glad to see that coax out SINAD seems to be quite good.

Do you know if digital out is bit perfect or is there something going on?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Does it support qobuz or amazon hd
Yes both are supported.

I have a modi + too and can barely tell the difference between them. When I try to A-B test I lose track of what one I’m listening to. Some songs do shine through, but not consistent better. Not sure if I am being berry clear here.

nstzya

I have both the Node 2i and the Powernode 2i. Powernode uses NAD made Hypex UcD licensed modules (they call it HybridDigital) and puts out very solid sound. You can not beat the functionality and form factor. I particularly like that the app bridges across all my iOS devices without forcing me to log off one before controlling with the next. The Powernode gives me 120 high quality watts into 4 ohms - all in a small LIGHT form factor. I’m curious how it would test.

I stream exclusively, so don’t use the optical inputs or outputs. I use coax dig out to my Meridian DSP digital active speakers and it has given them new life. I can have it do the first unfold of MQA and feed them 24/96 for fun. It has proprietary digital volume control that to my ears is inaudible - in the small adjustments that I make. All from the iPad as I work.

That all said, I believe they must have had a problem with the optical inputs that has hopefully been corrected. When I sold my Gen. 2 models to move up to 2i, my buyer had problems with noise on the optical input. He contacted Bluesound, who - despite it being out of warranty and the second owner - sent him a replacement unit that did not have the problem.

They now support Tidal Connect as well, and they are constantly updating both the app and the firmware.

In fact, I am considering trying out one of the newer Hypex Ncore amps with more power just because I read about them here.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I have both the Node 2i and the Powernode 2i. Powernode uses NAD made Hypex UcD licensed modules (they call it HybridDigital) and puts out very solid sound. You can not beat the functionality and form factor. I particularly like that the app bridges across all my iOS devices without forcing me to log off one before controlling with the next. The Powernode gives me 120 high quality watts into 4 ohms - all in a small LIGHT form factor. I’m curious how it would test.

I stream exclusively, so don’t use the optical inputs or outputs. I use coax dig out to my Meridian DSP digital active speakers and it has given them new life. I can have it do the first unfold of MQA and feed them 24/96 for fun. It has proprietary digital volume control that to my ears is inaudible - in the small adjustments that I make. All from the iPad as I work.

That all said, I believe they must have had a problem with the optical inputs that has hopefully been corrected. When I sold my Gen. 2 models to move up to 2i, my buyer had problems with noise on the optical input. He contacted Bluesound, who - despite it being out of warranty and the second owner - sent him a replacement unit that did not have the problem.

They now support Tidal Connect as well, and they are constantly updating both the app and the firmware.

In fact, I am considering trying out one of the newer Hypex Ncore amps with more power just because I read about them here.

‘Hi nstzya,

I am running a bluesound node 2i and a Buckeye Hypex Ncore 502 amp combination. The Hypex Ncore is the real deal and operates as advertised. It’s lighter, smaller, more efficient and so far has been very responsive to my needs. The new Hypex Amp is a brute and has significantly opened up the bottom end of my ml’s. I could not be happier about this purchase.

whyfi

I'm new to hifi and recently got a Node 2i to untether my headphones from my PC and setup a headphone listening station as I stream everything from Tidal. Signal chain is Node 2i -> Schiit Magni -> Sennheiser HD650 and I'm very happy. I think a lot of posts already mentioned the convenience and app as strong points and I agree. I don't have a lot of time or patience to mess around and the BluOS I find to be so easy to use. I much prefer it to the Sonos app(s) which I have been using for years and still find cumbersome.

Fish17

I own a Node 2i, it's a great device and very easy to use. But I also intend to put him a Dac of better quality.
My pick: Topping E30 which will be connected with a coaxial cable Qed reference digital audio 40.
I'm certain of the sound improvement it will bring up ! A cheap solution for better sound.

Did you ever get the E30? I’m considering the same solution so I’m curious if you noticed a improvement.

Fish17

I felt it sounded pretty good to me as well but after installing the E30 and later the D70 I can tell a slight improvement over the stock DAC but I believe the other components in the chain must be capable of revealing the capabilities of the outboard DAC or one may not appreciate the improvement.
I’m looking at E30 to replace the internal DAC so I’m pleased to hear there is an improvement. Was there a big leap from the E30 to the D70?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m looking at E30 to replace the internal DAC so I’m pleased to hear there is an improvement. Was there a big leap from the E30 to the D70?
Not really but it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison as I've always used the D70 balanced. I don't think I could tell them apart in a blind test.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think you'll regret the E30 purchase (bought mine from Apos "used" for <$100).

Fish17

I don't think you'll regret the E30 purchase (bought mine from Apos "used" for <$100).
But is there much of a difference between the E30 and the Node 2i DAC?

Im starting to go down a rabbit hole now of considering a D30Pro or the Gustard X16 as I too have a balanced system with my Schiit Freya+ and Parasound A23 gotta kill those ground loops LOL.

Top Bottom