• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm assuming you mean up to 192 hi res by the way , Qobuz or similar, not up sampled to 384 or higher.

I've never understood the point of multi thousand pound streamer when you're on my going to use digital out.

I think the question about the yamaha might be a suck it and see, but I'd hazard a guess it will output at least up to 192.
yes exactly, up to 192.

T.J. Turner

I'm confused regarding performance of the unit relative to input/outputs. If you use this device for digital streaming from your LAN, and send the digital (coax) out to your DAC, does it support hi res, i.e. does the "support hi res" only apply to the analog output or to both?

(from my earlier post #89)

Yes I can confirm that the digital coax supports 192k output.
All the issues the reviewer found in the digital output was from a bad toslink connection.
The coax output is fine.
index.php

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
This is too bad, as I, like many, was looking for an AIO solution as a Roon endpoint. I will have to start considering the Raspberry Pi-based solutions.
Would the Auralic Aries G1 be the ideal solution, price not considered?

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Agree with you both, and this is exactly why I wish Bluesound would make a streamer-only box. Unless you want to set up a separate Roon or other server next to your DAC, I think Bluesound has the best all-in-one streaming solution on the market.
Or,... you can go the other direction cost wise and drop the DAC and INCREASE the price. Voila, you have an Auralic Aries G1 for $2700 plus tax. ouch

strada

Can anyone tell me what is the relevance of signal noise for a streamer? Isn't it irrelevant if it is plugging into my DAC? Won't my DAC get rid of the noise?

Thanks

lordhumungous

I think the attraction of the Node 2i is the price. For now I’m using HomePods to add background music around the house.
Its on sale at Crutchfield and other places for 100 off and i had 100 in Crutchfield dollars so i bought one for 370 or so.

Webninja

Forum Donor
At that price, it certainly is a good choice. I wonder if they will make a node3.

strada

This product is awful from a user perspective, don't buy. If you use Spotify Connect there is like a 5 second or more delay when changing tracks! The Pimare NP5 was also terrible. The only great experience was the Cambridge Audio CVN on everything I am demoing. It works perfectly.

lordhumungous

This product is awful from a user perspective, don't buy. If you use Spotify Connect there is like a 5 second or more delay when changing tracks! The Pimare NP5 was also terrible. The only great experience was the Cambridge Audio CVN on everything I am demoing. It works perfectly.

I’m using Roon and have no issues .Using it wirelessly too.

Ricky FR

I own a Node 2i, it's a great device and very easy to use. But I also intend to put him a Dac of better quality.
My pick: Topping E30 which will be connected with a coaxial cable Qed reference digital audio 40.
I'm certain of the sound improvement it will bring up ! A cheap solution for better sound.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I own a Node 2i, it's a great device and very easy to use. But I also intend to put him a Dac of better quality.
My pick: Topping E30 which will be connected with a coaxial cable Qed reference digital audio 40.
I'm certain of the sound improvement it will bring up ! A cheap solution for better sound.

No need for that cable... Won't do a thing but make you poorer.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Why ? I must connect the E30 to Node 2i.

Any cable will do... No need to spend anything extra on a special 'audiophile' digital cable.

Edited: Applies to any digital cable. Actually, applies to cables in general.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any USB cable will do... No need to spend anything extra on a special 'audiophile' digital cable.
Good luck to him trying to use any USB cable to come out of a coax . But yes, a cheap digital coax will suffice.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Good luck to him trying to use any USB cable to come out of a coax . But yes, a cheap digital coax will suffice.

It's early! ;):rolleyes:

Edited... Cheers.

Triumph_900

I have a question for people with technical background: I haven't any even if I appreciate numbers.
I own a Node 2i and I use it as a plain music streamer (Tidal HiFi subscription) as it is connected to my beloved Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro Mqa via a Coax connection (then connected via Xlr cables to a McIntosh MA7900 and then to Martin Logan Ethos electrostatic speakers).
If I use a better quality streamer like, as an example, a Lumin U1 Mini do I get a better quality in sound or it's just the Dac that can improve quality?
Or, another example, a Matrix Element X can give a better sound quality with respect to my Node 2i + Matrix X-Sabre Pro Mqa?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a question for people with technical background: I haven't any even if I appreciate numbers.
I own a Node 2i and I use it as a plain music streamer (Tidal HiFi subscription) as it is connected to my beloved Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro Mqa via a Coax connection (then connected via Xlr cables to a McIntosh MA7900 and then to Martin Logan Ethos electrostatic speakers).
If I use a better quality streamer like, as an example, a Lumin U1 Mini do I get a better quality in sound or it's just the Dac that can improve quality?
Or, another example, a Matrix Element X can give a better sound quality with respect to my Node 2i + Matrix X-Sabre Pro Mqa?

Logically, and from testing of devices on here like the chromecast audio, nothing well designed and made should improve (or degrade) anything to your dac of choice if it allows bit perfect transmission to the dac.

On the other hand, people spend £000 on boxes that do nothing much more than take the bits from an ethernet connection and convert it to another (digital) connection type to send onto the dac.

Personally, I'd prefer to be in the first camp and be happy that my top tier dac is outputting as good as that tidal stream gets. Others on other sites would definitely suggest you go down the route of £000 upgrade options and you probably would "hear" differences. Whether an analyser would "hear" them is the question.

T.J. Turner

If you are outputting by Coax from your Node 2i, then it's your Matrix Audio X that's doing most of the work. The only thing to note is that the Node 2 is not outputting MQA to your Marix. The Node 2 only handles MQA with its own internal DAC.
Using another streamer in the same fashion is not likely to make a difference unless it has some specific features that alter the sound.

Last edited:
Top Bottom