• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

mgood

I was underwhelmed by the Node 2i within a week of getting it this past summer. Wasn't the breakthrough sound it was billed to be. Its been banished to my bedroom and I use a NAD m10 on my main system that is the breakthrough in sound I was looking for. Hopefully ASR reviews it. Anyways I've always used the Node 2i DAC even though its shown to have mediocre performance here. Today I used the digital coax out of the Node and into the Rotel A12 integrated I'm using and I immediately heard a positive change in clarity and brightness compared to the Node DAC. The Rotel lets you lock the input volume on the different inputs so its a quick and fair A/B comparison between coax and the aux inputs. I'm hoping to see some Rotel gear get tested now too. I know I'm limiting my Node to 96khz MQA by bypassing its DAC but I'm preferring the Wolfson in the Rotel

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Rotel A12. I have a Node 2i and I'm thinking about getting the A12. What's your general experience with the A12? Have you tried the "signal sense" feature to get the amp to power on when the Node starts playing? And are you using the volume control on the Node or the A12?

Regards,
Mattias

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One idea to consider is to keep the Node2i and upgrade the speakers to digital active monitors, which you would feed from Node'2 coax output. Works like a charm with for example Genelec SAM series and thus you also bypass Node's not so great DAC.

iLoveCats

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Rotel A12. I have a Node 2i and I'm thinking about getting the A12. What's your general experience with the A12? Have you tried the "signal sense" feature to get the amp to power on when the Node starts playing? And are you using the volume control on the Node or the A12?

Regards,
Mattias
I like the A12, its quality gear. I leave the tone controls flat. Its in my bedroom and performs perfectly and sounds very good with LS50's. I'm using the signal sense on an optical input from the TV for my wife, its simple so she has sound when she turns on the TV. I just confirmed that the signal sense also works on the coax input from the Node2i. I have my coax input on the Rotel set to fixed and the Rotel volume to 80 (probably too high) and I use the BlueOS app to adjust the volume with my phone. Works perfectly.

mgood

I like the A12, its quality gear. I leave the tone controls flat. Its in my bedroom and performs perfectly and sounds very good with LS50's. I'm using the signal sense on an optical input from the TV for my wife, its simple so she has sound when she turns on the TV. I just confirmed that the signal sense also works on the coax input from the Node2i. I have my coax input on the Rotel set to fixed and the Rotel volume to 80 (probably too high) and I use the BlueOS app to adjust the volume with my phone. Works perfectly.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I really appreciate you taking the time. I’m planning on running the A12 with my Linn Majik 109 speakers which are very similar to the LS50s in terms of sensitivity and impedance, so it’s good to know that the Rotel will be able to power them. I noticed Sound & Vision measured a 150 watt into 4 ohms from the A12

thefsb

Should we
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Bluesound Node 2i Streamer. It is on kind loan from a member and costs $499. I am assuming their target market is where SONOS dominates if you are familiar with that brand.

From the outside, this is one looking and feeling unit!

The unit is pure white with a luxurious rubberized paint. It ranks way up there as something Apple would design.

It is mains powered with a removable 2-conductor cable.

It has both wireless and wired connectivity. I tested it with the latter. Being a network-centric device, the only digital input is a combo 3.5 mm Toslink optical input. For output though there is S/PDIF coax and Toslink optical digital outputs. Analog outputs is a set of RCA for left and right plus a subwoofer output.

There is external IR input for integration in home automation although I hope it also has IP control (have not checked).

There is no display on the unit. The only controls are through classic transport ones plus volume. For my testing I opted for fixed volume.

There is integrated Bluetooth which I have not tested.

I did not have a remote for it so I downloaded their app which instantly recognized and connected to the unit. I selected the input there.

I am more focused on the performance of the unit so seek out other reviews for its functionality.

Measurements
I was so happy there was a Toslink input capable of 24-bit input as that makes my testing a lot easier. It allows my Audio Precision analyzer to directly control the signals it sends out for measurements, giving me full set of capabilities. I found my one and only 3.5mm Toslink cable that I had used for testing Google Chromecast and connected the two units. What greeted me was quite surprising. The 1 kHz sine wave would shift left and right and its frequency would jump back and for a bit every second or so. Needless to say, this played havoc with all the measurements:

View attachment 21504

I hooked up a coax cable to S/PDIF and measured that and got the same results:
View attachment 21505

It could be the cable or its end points have gone bad causing the unit to get data error. I don't think it is losing lock as would likely interrupt the digital stream to coax which it did not seem to do. I tried to test the cable with my Chromecast but did not succeed in getting the darn thing on the network to connect to it.

I decided to stream the bits to it and was pleasantly surprised when Roon showed it as an end-point, albeit, with a red warning saying it is not certified. I streamed my 1 kHz tone to it and got stable, and proper output:
View attachment 21506

Bluesound specs the unit at 0.005% and measurements are actually better in both channels. Resulting SINAD though (signal over noise and distortion) is not great at just 88 dB. This is well short of the dynamic range of the CD so the statement that the unit supports high-resolution, 24-bit playback is moot. The SINAD lands in out lowest quarter as far as DACs/streamers tested:

View attachment 21507

Next I ran my jitter test the same way and got this:

View attachment 21508

Not broken, and nothing audible but not great performance either. The measured noise level is some 15 dB higher than the best DACs we have tested for example.

From here the testing gets more difficult in that I have play special signals that the Audio Precision needs to correctly capture and sync up since it has no control over their playback cadence. So don't run home with them but I thought I share them as I need to use them with more devices of this type in the future. I hope to refine them and build more confidence in them.

The test squency is a 7-tone multi-tone similar to the 32-tone one we run on DACs:
View attachment 21509

We see quite a bit of distortion spikes which makes sense given the SINAD figures we had.

Using the same signal, the AP software is able to compute the signal to noise ratio:

View attachment 21510

This is quite a bit worse than the specified 110 dB. It may instrumentation error though. If trusted, it is shy of CD's dynamic range on noise basis too although not much.

I have been asked about pure noise level before. That pops out of this test too so here it is:
View attachment 21511

That's it I think.

Conclusions
The industrial design of the Bluesound Node 2i is fantastic, easily earning A+ in my book. You would just look at it and touch it as well! :) Going after SONOS market requires that and they have nailed it. Networking functionality worked perfectly in the limited testing I gave it. Things like subwoofer output are nice touches too. Overall, I have nothing to complain about.

The complaining however, starts at pure performance of the unit and potentially a broken Toslink implementation. I may buy another cable to test but for now, if the company is reading this, I highly suggest testing the Toslink input to see if this is a problem or not. Toslink input is important from integration with TV sound for example.

On performance front, it is disappointing to see such low SINAD ratings even though it beats their specifications. I like to see something in high 90s even in budget products. As far as I can tell, playback of high-resolution audio is one of the advantages they tout so would be good if they delivered that objectively.

Until the Toslink issues are sorted out, I can't recommend the product. It is a shame because this level of fit and finish from a branded company at such a price is a great combination.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

It is snowing here for the first time this year. I need some money to buy snowshoes. Yes, it is only one inch of snow but you don't want me to fall and get hurt, do you? So please consider donating money using:
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or
upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).
This review is confusing. I read a lot of the follow up conversation and I get the impression that the test unit was probably defective. But if so, why is the review of the broken aspects still published?

The functionality of the Node 2i meets my needs very well but I need the optical input. What should I make of the information here?

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Should we

This review is confusing. I read a lot of the follow up conversation and I get the impression that the test unit was probably defective. But if so, why is the review of the broken aspects still published?

The functionality of the Node 2i meets my needs very well but I need the optical input. What should I make of the information here?
I have used the optical output and it works the same as the coaxial (at least sonically). I have no way of measuring.

thefsb

I have used the optical output and it works the same as the coaxial (at least sonically). I have no way of measuring.
I'm concerned about the optical INput. The original review showed horrible results when test signals were sent to that.

iLoveCats

hi all
i am planning to buy bluesound or dnp800
they will plunged with rca to integrated (pioneeer a40 )
can u know which will sound better ?
thanks
I would buy the Blue Sound. Only because the Denon streamer does not have a digital coax output. I know you want to use the RCA output but you have the ability to at least experiment with the digital coax to your pioneer integrated.

EB1000

I've posted a link to this review on the blusound community forum, and my post was deleted after 24 hours w.o any further notice... I can try and post it again, but I'm afraid I'll get banned... I guess they don't like to see facts posted at their faces...

iLoveCats

I've posted a link to this review on the blusound community forum, and my post was deleted after 24 hours w.o any further notice... I can try and post it again, but I'm afraid I'll get banned... I guess they don't like to see facts posted at their faces...

It's a good streamer. It's also a good DAC if all you know for sound is an AVR. It's not a good DAC once you hear an actual good DAC. I still like the product because of BlueOS and streaming

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
It's a good streamer. It's also a good DAC if all you know for sound is an AVR. It's not a good DAC once you hear an actual good DAC. I still like the product because of BlueOS and streaming

I really like the BluOS for streaming, too. But does anyone know of an option that does not include the DAC and headphone amp? That seems like it would be the killer product. Is there a reason BluOS doesn't offer that? Maybe it is not cost effective?

What do most people with high end DACs who need to add streaming do? Is the most common solution to add a server / NAS and use something like Roon?

BobPM

I ran a node2 directly to my Marantz receiver through RCA outs and after awhile decided it sounded flat. I thought it might have been the receiver converting the signal back to digital. Now I suspect it's due to mediocre DAC. I got a decent wireworld spdif line and like it much better.

thefsb

hi all
i am planning to buy bluesound or dnp800
they will plunged with rca to integrated (pioneeer a40 )
can u know which will sound better ?
thanks
I hated the HEOS app. Just awful.

I'm interested in BluOS because it has good UI and supports a number of streaming services including Deezer. The selction on both Tidal and Qobuz is disappointing.

EB1000

I like the bluos, and I did consider the node 2i, until I've listened to the NAD C658 preamp/DAC, which is based on Bluos and features Dirac Live calibration. Unlike the node 2i, which uses a TI DAC, the NAD C658 used ESS Sabre ES9028PRO, which should measures better than the TI DAC. I cant wait to see measurements results for the C658

rodtor

Forum Donor
I really like the BluOS for streaming, too. But does anyone know of an option that does not include the DAC and headphone amp? That seems like it would be the killer product. Is there a reason BluOS doesn't offer that? Maybe it is not cost effective?

I like BluOS too. I have the steaming module in my NAD C368 amp. No, I don't think NAD offers a stand-alone streamer. They probably believed that combining one with a DAC would be a more attractive option for consumers. And it would be ... until you have seen Amir's review :). I suspect that this Blusound product is one of the best streaming options out there for those of us who know and like BLuOS.

D700

Haven't looked at this thread in a while, I'm surprised there aren't a lot of new entrants in this space. I'm on the hunt for an Amazon Music HD Ultra solution besides the Denon/Marantz/BlueSound ....something around $200.

Top Bottom