• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

BobPM

Not least with BluOS you have a comparatively stable and mature system with which you can now also listen to Radio Paradise in MQA quality.
Are we now good with MQA in light of the most recent study/comparison showing the degradation of the signal using files uploaded to Tidal?

I love my Node (especially the software), but haven't found any benefit to the Radio Paradise MQA stream and still find the best sound is the FLAC stream using the SPDIF to a Modius outboard DAC. I just couldn't hear any benefit from either the Node's RCA outs in full MQA unfold, or the software first unfold to the Modius. I am just going to stick with the RP FLAC stream.

rcstevensonaz

Are we now good with MQA in light of the most recent study/comparison showing the degradation of the signal using files uploaded to Tidal?

I love my Node (especially the software), but haven't found any benefit to the Radio Paradise MQA stream and still find the best sound is the FLAC stream using the SPDIF to a Modius outboard DAC. I just couldn't hear any benefit from either the Node's RCA outs in full MQA unfold, or the software first unfold to the Modius. I am just going to stick with the RP FLAC stream.
Totally agree. I am sure I won't get my wish, but it would be awesome if Bluenode would offer a model that:
  • does not include MQA
  • does not have a built-in DAC
  • has a front-facing visual display window

BobPM

Totally agree. I am sure I won't get my wish, but it would be awesome if Bluenode would offer a model that:
  • does not include MQA
Totally agree and would add that I hope if would have a USB output.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  • does not include MQA
Totally agree.

rcstevensonaz

You mean, like a 2007 era Slim Devices Squeezebox? :)
Exactly!!!!

Totally nailed what I want... I am dying to replace all of my Squeezebox V3 devices. I'm willing to pay $500 for an updated device that adds better interface, better conversion from IP packets to digital audio, and better local device control/display... but otherwise is just a well designed, high quality network streamer with a great device interface. While the Bluenode 2i came close, it did not add enough of anything to beat out my SBv3.

D700

Exactly!!!!

Someone in another forum daydreamed about this a while back

-Same physical design with upgraded DAC, WIFI and Screen
-Build a focus on streaming first and easy setup, with full integration of Apple Music, Google Play, Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon Music/HD/Ultra HD and others through mysqueezebox.com
-Full support for all streaming formats, bitrates and resolutions
-Bitperfect output via digital outs up to 24/192 for those with external DACs.
-Robust integration with Alexa, Siri and Google assistants
-Updated Optional LMS with Roon like features for hard core audio folks managing large local libraries

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?111449-New-Logitech-Squeezebox-2020-Edition

That about covers it for me.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Obviously they changed the name to "Node" and "Powernode" without number/letter.

Some specs (Node):

ARM® Cortex™ -A53, Quad-Core, 1.8GHz per core

HDMI eARC

PCM5242 with Differential Output DAC implementation

SNR: -113dB

THD+N: 0.002%

$549
Hi JoetheLion,

Your two above posts would rate a new Thread. If you are so inclined.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

PKF

Welcome Aboard @PKF.

Thanks Adam
Hi Everybody
I have the node 2i also and trying to find the way to improve the sounding ))
The PSU mod is looking as a some way of sound increasing - will see
Tried to use it with TEAC NT-505 but the result was too weak for the upgrade cost.
So before starting to look for a something bigger I'm trying to find and use any other possibilities

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Adam
Hi Everybody
Tried to use it with TEAC NT-505 but the result was too weak for the upgrade cost.
So before starting to look for a something bigger I'm trying to find and use any other possibilities

Use the digital output to a cheap but better DAC (topping D10, Atom DAC, modi 3 etc), still may not make much if any audible improvement but addresses the shortcomings of the mediocre DAC in the 2i. Don't bother with other mods.

Then find a way to add eq into your set up

steve-z

Just thought I come in with my own two pence worth on the Node 2i. I've been using one in my primary system for about 8 months now and I've been highly impressed with it from day one, so much so that just a few days ago I bought another to use in my second tier setup. Prior to buying the first one I ran my primary setup, usb digital out from a Macmini feeding a Topping D10 DAC into my Rega Brio amp and Q Acoustics Concept 40 speakers, wanting to delve into the world of streaming I bought the Node 2i aware that I could still playback my own music library via the 2i which was the initial way I used it admittedly via the optical digital input. Within seconds of starting to listen to the first music track it was obvious the sound quality was in a different league particularly with regards the dynamics and soundstage, the latter seemingly having grown by at least 50% over the performance of the D10, detail and air was also more in evidence so I was well pleased. The second tier setup I have in the bedroom comprises an iMac feeding a Topping D30 DAC powered by an Ifi low noise PSU into a Reisong A10 single ended Class A tube amp feeding a pair of Mission QX2 speakers. Although not something that I'd normally do, due to comments made in this thread I decided to do an AB comparison between the DAC in the 2i and the ToppingD30, as both the 2i and the D30 had their own connection to the Reisong all I had to do was connect the optical output from the 2i to the D10 I could then compare them on the fly by just switching the amps input selector.
I initially played some pink noise and checked the DB level at my listening position for both, the levels measured to be identical so no volume bias to contend with. I listened intently for over an hour to a range of different music, sometimes short clips sometimes full tracks. The result of my test is that no matter how I tried I could not find the tiniest difference between the two of them, at all. I know the Topping D30 is not an expensive DAC but it is well respected by many, measurements wise Amir's test on this forum show it to be superior to the DAC in the Node 2i but subjectively I don't think the D30 provides any audible improvement whatsoever.

rcstevensonaz

<case 1 (D10 vs. Node 2i)>: the latter seemingly having grown by at least 50% over the performance of the D10, detail and air was also more in evidence so I was well pleased.
<case 2 (D30 vs. Node 2i)>: The result of my test is that no matter how I tried I could not find the tiniest difference between the two of them
Your result in case 1 surprised me, so was I was waiting to see what your conclusion was going to be in case 2; and was pleasantly surprised.

Which is to say, not hearing any difference in case 2 is what I would have expected; and I am curious why you did in case 1 (especially to the magnitude you described).

PKF

Use the digital output to a cheap but better DAC (topping D10, Atom DAC, modi 3 etc), still may not make much if any audible improvement but addresses the shortcomings of the mediocre DAC in the 2i. Don't bother with other mods.
Then find a way to add eq into your set up

Thanks Jimbob
I tried TEAC NT-505 as an external DAC and now I have the Gustard X16
I can't say that I got an incredible difference from that kind of upgrade - yes probably I got some more air in highs and more precise lows but this is not so noticeable as expected and I can only feel it on average loudness and higher, whereas usually I listen to music on the volume of about 10-25% of nominal of my DENON PMA-A100 with Mordaunt-Short Performance 6 and I don't notice the difference in that conditions.
So I still wait for ordered mod for Node 2i to try how it can change its sounding - will see ))

steve-z

Which is to say, not hearing any difference in case 2 is what I would have expected; and I am curious why you did in case 1 (especially to the magnitude you described).

There are a couple of possibilities as to why there was a difference with my first comparison, I think it could be down to the fact that the Topping D10 is a USB only DAC and that the connecting lead is also carrying the power to operate it (from the Macmini) rather than having a separate PSU. When first bought the D30 I did AB it against the D10 and the D30 was slightly but audibly superior with regards to bass weight and scale, knowing that it probably gives a little indication as to why there was a difference of dynamics and scale when I did the comparison with the Node 2i.

Vinylshadow

Thanks Adam
Hi Everybody
I got the PD Creative PSU interface and the 5V SBooster LPS and what a diffence in sound...The SBooster needs some time to break in. About 50 or so hours(they say 100) but the music sounds great. Using a Blue Jeans 75 ohm Belden 1694A coax (into my Classe SSP-800's DAC) for $20.

I did not upgrade the stock SBooster power cable either. But thinking about a modest upgrade.

Top Bottom