• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But is there much of a difference between the E30 and the Node 2i DAC?

Im starting to go down a rabbit hole now of considering a D30Pro or the Gustard X16 as I too have a balanced system with my Schiit Freya+ and Parasound A23 gotta kill those ground loops LOL.
Do you have ground loop issues?

Fish17

Do you have ground loop issues?
Not currently so I want to keep it that way lol.

I already ordered some XLR patch cables so probably going to go with the Gustard X16. Topping has been around more however so that D30Pro is an option as well.

Did you notice an improvement when eliminating the Node 2i DAC with the E30? It sounds like you saw another improvement going from the E30 to your balanced D70.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not currently so I want to keep it that way lol.

I already ordered some XLR patch cables so probably going to go with the Gustard X16. Topping has been around more however so that D30Pro is an option as well.

Did you notice an improvement when eliminating the Node 2i DAC with the E30? It sounds like you saw another improvement going from the E30 to your balanced D70.
Yes. Both but difficult to claim a difference as the D70 is balanced and the E30 is unbalanced so there is a large voltage output difference. You may want to look at the D70s, as it's balanced and measures better than the D70.

RoyB

Forum Donor
Been playing with a Bluesound Node2i for a few days. Sounded pretty good. Much better than my Andover Songbird. But not fair to compare $129 unit to a $550 device. Have not used outboard DAC yet. So I'm reading this thread and someone mentioned turning off the tone controls, not just leaving them at "0"/. So I went back into setting and lo and behold, there was a switch to turn them off...HOLY MACARONI!!! What a freak'n difference. Absolute night and day! Much better highs with out the raspyness I was experiencing.......I guess I'll keep it!...... My system is Schiit Saga Pre, VTA ST120 Dynaco Clone power, Magnapan MMGs....

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I use the bluesound for its slick app and then use an external DAC.

Same here. Output to a Modi via digital all non MQA content.

ZinMe

Similar story here- the app is very good, and Bluesound supports higher resolution formats, so switched from Sonos. I also use an different DAC- I use digital coax out to my Denon 8500, and find the sound slightly better than the RCA outs and the Bluesound DAC.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I run from the Node 2i to a D70 but noticed the Node can't decode DSD but that's not too big a bother. Other than that I love it. Does exactly what I need.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I run from the Node 2i to a D70 but noticed the Node can't decode DSD but that's not too big a bother. Other than that I love it. Does exactly what I need.

I'm doing the same: Node 2i >> D70. I really like it.

I'm also really digging my Node 2i! I've got it going out coax to my SMSL SU-9, running both Tidal Premium and Spotify. The BluOS software is way better than I thought it would be, and the integration of Spotify and Tidal are really well done. There's cheaper ways to send music to a DAC, but I think if it's in your budget, it's hard to find a fault with it.

sanbol

Any ideas if there is a new version of the Node 2i? like a 3i soon? since it's already more than a couple of years old.

mermayer

New BluOS release:
BluOS 3.14.2. Released April 6, 2021.
• Support for SiriusXM and SiriusXM Music for Business.
• Support for Spotify Free.
• Support for Radio Paradise MQA stations.
• Roon improvements for grouping and signal path reporting.
• Updates to TIDAL, Qobuz, Amazon Music and Deezer.
• Improvements to Library indexing for file permissions and handling unreadable audio files.

RP_MQA.png

My RME ADI-2 DAC FS shows for the Radio Paradise MQA stream 88.2/24.

RP_MQA_BIT.png

Last edited:

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
Here are a few thoughts on "quality" of the Node 2i. Sorry if I missed something in this thread or repeat things. One of the most important statements of Amir's measurements is (in my opinion) when he adds: "not audible". Node 2i is roon ready, so you can make an interesting comparison. I use the Topping A90 headphone amplifier, with which you can switch between RCA and XLR input with a physical switch. This is old-fashioned, but has the advantage that it appears to be very quick. I connected the Node 2i to the RCA input (so using its own "mediocre" DAC) and to the XLRs first the SMSL SU-9, later the Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3. All three decode MQA. The Node 2i and the other device can be combined to one zone in roon so that they can play at the same time. Now you just have to adjust the level in the SMSL or Matrix so that it is just as loud as with the Node 2i. Then you can switch the input at Topping and hear the difference without any time delay. I use the Focal Clear as headphones. The (subjective) result is: absolutely no difference. Which confirms Amir's thesis that the headphone amplifier part is more important than the DAC. On the other hand, I can hear a difference between the Node 2i -> Topping A90 -> Clear and the Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 headphone output, which sounds not as good. All in all, I think that the Node 2i is a great device, if the toslink INPUT is not required. I don't even think you need the digital output. Not least with BluOS you have a comparatively stable and mature system with which you can now also listen to Radio Paradise in MQA quality.

sanbol

Here are a few thoughts on "quality" of the Node 2i. Sorry if I missed something in this thread or repeat things. One of the most important statements of Amir's measurements is (in my opinion) when he adds: "not audible". Node 2i is roon ready, so you can make an interesting comparison. I use the Topping A90 headphone amplifier, with which you can switch between RCA and XLR input with a physical switch. This is old-fashioned, but has the advantage that it appears to be very quick. I connected the Node 2i to the RCA input (so using its own "mediocre" DAC) and to the XLRs first the SMSL SU-9, later the Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3. All three decode MQA. The Node 2i and the other device can be combined to one zone in roon so that they can play at the same time. Now you just have to adjust the level in the SMSL or Matrix so that it is just as loud as with the Node 2i. Then you can switch the input at Topping and hear the difference without any time delay. I use the Focal Clear as headphones. The (subjective) result is: absolutely no difference. Which confirms Amir's thesis that the headphone amplifier part is more important than the DAC. On the other hand, I can hear a difference between the Node 2i -> Topping A90 -> Clear and the Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 headphone output, which sounds not as good. All in all, I think that the Node 2i is a great device, if the toslink INPUT is not required. I don't even think you need the digital output. Not least with BluOS you have a comparatively stable and mature system with which you can now also listen to Radio Paradise in MQA quality.

Sorry if I didn't get you, so you are saying if I get the Node 2i and connect it to an amp and then to speakers, there isn't any audible difference ?

The difference would be mainly if I use headphones, which I never do, correct?

If that is the case then I might get the Node 2i and just use it's internal DAC for now , without getting something like the A90 or SU-9

Thanks

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
Happy and bummed about that news, as I just broke down and bought a 2i last week after giving up waiting for the next generation. But I still need one or two more streamers, so hopefully the 3 has some nice improvements.

thegeton

Forum Donor
Similar situation here - just purchased one in December, but need another one for another room...

Stephen

I am just totally disapointed by the USB file management. It's so poor. I never managed to make playlists from my USB files. Very limited options to make presets, selecting many files is extremely boring. I will soon switch to a raspbery or something like that. Just have enough.

thegeton

Forum Donor
I've been plotting a move to RPi. I know the list below is total overkill, but I need a new project and would like to ensure that I have expandability should I choose to do something different with my RPi if I ever decide get another commercial streamer. I already have a good DAC I can pair this with, so no DAC Hat needed.

RPi 4 B, 8 GB $85.99 (Amazon)
Argon Fan HAT for RPi 4, fits NEO case $11.99 (Amazon)
Argon NEO RPi 4 B Heatsink Case with Type-C Power Supply $25.00 (Amazon)
UGreen Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable Adapter, 3ft $8.99 (Amazon)
Samsung EVO Select 64GB microSDXC with Adapter (MB-ME64HA) $10.99 (Amazon)

Total: $155.83 with tax.

Thinking of going with Volumio or Moode Audio.

Top Bottom