• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

Pritaudio

Cambridge audio cxn v2 is much much more versatile, and has a linear power supply built into it.
but it is not meant for multiroom systems.

Stephen

Cambridge audio cxn v2 is much much more versatile, and has a linear power supply built into it.
but it is not meant for multiroom systems.
It's all about software... how is the USB file player/management? For me the best software ever made is the free 'Musicolet' (on android). One option is fantastic: play the least played songs... When you have a large quantity of songs it makes you rediscover your music.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
One option is fantastic: play the least played songs... When you have a large quantity of songs it makes you rediscover your music.
I think you can do that (and more) with the LMS TrackStat Playlist plugin.

AndrewDavis

It's all about software... how is the USB file player/management?

It’s good! You can sort in a variety of ways, it has good library management tools, and I’ve never encountered a glitch. I use a used Node 2 as a stand alone “BluOS module,” with Coax digital out to my DAC. It’s the least expensive way (non RasPi) to add a super high quality streamer/digital player to your chain without having to buy a dedicated streamer/DAC combo device.

Last edited:

Pritaudio

Yes, but have you seen the review of this product.
the sinad is too low for high res music.
it is moot.
if that is the case, you are better off with a Sonos connect/port Which has more music streaming services available.

Stephen

it is moot.
if that is the case, you are better off with a Sonos connect/port Which has more music streaming services available.
You definitely need an external DAC. I am not very picky but the DAC of the Node 2 is really bad, the difference was huge when I compared with an external DAC (LA-QXD1). But of course the better are your speakers the bigger will be the difference...

terasankka

I don't know, but all tests made on ASR about AC power 'cleaning' devices proved that these are "useless"...

Yes, I know but this is not a "power cleaning unit" as such. this actually replaces the not so good PSU from inside the Node2i to a card where you can use an external powersupply, thus taking the noisy PSU further away from the inside of the unit. I was just wondering if that original PSU was on of the causes of the noise in the Node2i measurements.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-11 at 13.21.52.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-12-11 at 13.21.52.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 228

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It's not going to help with the 2nd and 3rd harmonic peaks that are largely responsible for the poor SINAD result. You'd be better putting the money towards a decent external DAC.

terasankka

It's not going to help with the 2nd and 3rd harmonic peaks that are largely responsible for the poor SINAD result. You'd be better putting the money towards a decent external DAC.

Yes, I have a Denafrips Ares II and a Topping D30, but I also use the Node 2i because it has good features. I wonder what causes harmonic peaks? This question is not actually only related to the Node 2i. If there are two DACs using the same DAC chip. Why can the other measure a lot worse than the other? ie. What are the things surrounding the DAC chip that affect the measurements and sound quality? Like in AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt. It has a decent DAC chip in it and it still measures poorly.

l_lama

So almost two years passed. Are there any chances that Bluesond fixed S/PDIF issues with firmware or hardware improvements?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Yes, I have a Denafrips Ares II and a Topping D30, but I also use the Node 2i because it has good features.
I must be missing the point. The Node 2i seems a solid choice of streamer for those not wanting to mess with a Pi or similar for whatever reason, and using its digital outputs to feed your DAC(s) avoids the limitations of its internal one.
I wonder what causes harmonic peaks? This question is not actually only related to the Node 2i. If there are two DACs using the same DAC chip. Why can the other measure a lot worse than the other? ie. What are the things surrounding the DAC chip that affect the measurements and sound quality? Like in AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt. It has a decent DAC chip in it and it still measures poorly.
Problems somewhere in the analog design - see for example the original SU-8 where the balanced output had much more distortion than the unbalanced output because the supply voltage for the output stage was too low. This was fixed in a later revision. Other things like poor power supply for the DAC chip's analog stage, incorrect loading of the DAC output or of the output opamps are among the other possible causes.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I must be missing the point. The Node 2i seems a solid choice of streamer for those not wanting to mess with a Pi or similar for whatever reason, and using its digital outputs to feed your DAC(s) avoids the limitations of its internal one.

Problems somewhere in the analog design - see for example the original SU-8 where the balanced output had much more distortion than the unbalanced output because the supply voltage for the output stage was too low. This was fixed in a later revision. Other things like poor power supply for the DAC chip's analog stage, incorrect loading of the DAC output or of the output opamps are among the other possible causes.

I have found the Node2i to be excellent for a digital out streamer, I have 3 of them and I like them because they WORK flawlessly (unlike my Matrix experience) and the bluesound interface is IMO excellent. I realize it's a bit of overkill and cost relative to a raspberry pi but I don't have the knowledge or patience to set those up. I've settled on this device after using devices from Auralic, Yamaha, Matrix Audio and Sonos.

terasankka

So, that PSU mod that I linked might actually make difference, as it removes the not so good PSU from inside the Node 2i and replaces it with a card that enables to use an external PSU.

This:
https://pd-cf.com/product/bluesound-node-2-2i-upgrade-low-noise-psu-interface/

Well, I ordered one just for fun as it is quite affordable.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
So, that PSU mod that I linked might actually make difference, as it removes the not so good PSU from inside the Node 2i and replaces it with a card that enables to use an external PSU.

This:
https://pd-cf.com/product/bluesound-node-2-2i-upgrade-low-noise-psu-interface/

Well, I ordered one just for fun as it is quite affordable.
I can't disagree with fun :) The HifiBerry DAC+ Pro managed slightly better with the same PCM5122 chip, matching datasheet spec, so there's scope to close the gap a little to the external DACs if you're lucky. I don't suppose you've got the equipment to make before and after measurements?

terasankka

I don't suppose you've got the equipment to make before and after measurements?

Only my ears... :D but they have zero value on this forum. :D It would be really interesting to get the mod measured. Unfortunately I live in Finland, so it is not practical to send my unit to Amirn from here.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
it is moot.

This is from the bluesound web site:
Premium high-res music services like TIDAL®, Spotify® and Qobuz®—as well as virtually all other popular music services and Internet radio stations can be found directly inside the BluOS Controller app. Access your downloads, your iTunes library and any other content from a NAS drive, all without turning on a computer

Exactly which music service is available from the Sonos Port or Connect that is NOT available through the Node 2i?

Top Bottom