• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark HPA4 Headphone Amp/Pre

walt99

Forum Donor
I almost pulled the trigger on a second AHB2 but in the end decided to go with a complete Benchmark 'system' with the DAC3B and LA4. I love the way it sounds and operates and it's nice knowing that everything was engineered to work together, balanced outputs/system levels etc.. I even like the way it looks! Decided I didn't really need the extra power of the 2nd amp and running in stereo mode is better overall I think than bridged operation.

I also think the company is deserving of our support, they're great team of folks with top notch engineered products and customer support, if I email a question to Rory he'll answer me the same day, almost unheard of these days and John's support in the forum on the technical side is a real plus in my book.

I also like that they are based in NY not far from where I grew up so they gotta be good guys ;)

Definitely an end-game system for me, this is the last system I'll ever have to buy.

Last edited:

John_Siau

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thank you very much for your prompt responses and the detailed explanations, John! You really helped me piece it all together and visualize it. So i will attempt to verbalize my thoughts as a summary.
My hat is off to you and the Benchmark engineering team for designing these ultra high-quality products, that have given me countless hours of listening joy! Thank you for making yourself available and for the effort you are putting in to answer questions and to educate audiophiles like myself through your posts and release notes on your website, and for being transparent and honest. I can’t think of any other products, at least none that i have come across, where the manuals are so informationally rich, and for a good reason - nothing but solid, top-notch engineering and charts and specs to prove it. Clearly Benchmark products are measurement driven and striving for engineering perfection. Your approach to designing audio equipment- to sound great it must measure great, reminds me of Peter Aczel from the Audio Critic who i highly respect for his no-nonsense, technical approach to evaluating equipment and educating misinformed audiophiles, inundated with purely subjective and deceptive evaluations where somehow average measuring equipment miraculously sounds proportionately good to the price tag. All of these practices only serve to confuse audiophiles and push sales of more and more expensive products leading to absurdities like $10k speaker cables, which don’t measure any better than well designed cables costing a tiny fraction, but somehow possess supernatural properties, bringing the owner sonic nirvana. It takes a lot to excite Peter Aczel about a product, but his glowing review of the Benchmark DAC1 back in 2005, really got my attention and drew me to the company. I am so glad he did. From everything i have learned, analyzing the chart i put together with your help, i see that the LA4/HPA4/AHB2 are so well engineered and far exceed the capabilities of human hearing considering practical listening levels (even at any level if you can bear the loudness), ambient room noise, and sensitivity of most speakers out there, that there is virtually no practical and appreciable sonic improvement possible using the 3 components together, that would bring further sonic benefits. Only on Audio Precision graphs. From what I see, only in the case of using DAC3 without LA4 with sensitive speakers above 93db SPL the system would theoretically start picking up low levels of THD distortion at full power with THD of -113db (good luck to your golden ears). Below -8dbFS THD is -120db. Good luck detecting any distortion at normal listening levels. Noise will be picked up with speakers of 103db SPL or above, for those that have them and can hear it in a normal room at a normal distance. I am so glad i went through this exercise. I would take engineering perfection any day even if i can’t take full advantage of it. Even thinking about the extreme case of those Avantgarde Trios with 109dB sensitivity, as long as an LA4 is inserted in the chain there will be no noise with SNR of 112-115db at 2.83v and no harmonic distortion, which would be at -113db, even if one can bear listening at those levels. Anyone who thinks they can achieve a more perfect sound by “upgrading” from here especially for those of us with speakers where any noise and distortion is buried so deep at 15-30db below the speakers‘ sensitivity are in my humble opinion chasing ghosts. There is zero noise and zero distortion generated by the system. Look at the speakers for any distortion, but it’s not coming from these. The system is basically a straight wire with gain. The only possible situation i can think of where one might hear some differences with other amps is with some extremely difficult speakers, with huge impedance and phase shifts. My speakers have impedance variances from 18ohms to 0.52ohms and phase shifts from -60 to +60 degrees, but the AHB2 drives them effortlessly. They sound fantastic to my years. I am not sure where the limitations of the AHB2 lie in that regard. I would let John fill us in on that. I know some amps can become very unstable with large shifts and not sound good. No offense to anyone, but If they claim they can hear an improvement in sound quality with a different system given the speakers are within the impedance and phase shift capabilities of the AHB2, have other issues. The only people who are excused to hear an improvement are those audio magazines shills who get advertizing revenue from manufacturers and will tell you that Benchmark sounds excellent but that $40k amp sounds even better though it most likely measures worse. My audio electronics quest is over. The only reason I would trade in my Benchmark components for upgraded versions of Benchmark would be for improved visual synergy between the components, but that’s a whole other topic that we can get into if anyone is interested.
John, I wish you and the company continued success! To everyone else, happy listening to your Benchmark systems!
Stan21,
Thanks for your kind words and thanks for taking the time to do the math. I always tell our team here "do the math". When I design audio circuits, I calculate the SNR of the the entire circuit using Excel spread sheets. The entire signal chains of the LA4, HPA4, AHB2, DAC1, DAC2, DAC3, ADC1, ADC16, PRE420, and more were modeled on spread sheets because I couldn't get all of the answers I needed from simulation tools.

With this analysis, we can write the spec sheets before the first prototype circuit is completed. We create an internal document with these specifications, computer generated 3D rendered photos, and user interface details before anything is ever built.

As you proved with your spread sheet, things start to make sense when you do the calculations. Nice job Stan21!

DACs_Lover

Andrew Mason designed the SMPS in the AHB2 power amplifier but not in the HPA4. The DC to DC converters on the main board are a Benchmark design. These are the same DC to DC converters that are used in the DAC2 and DAC3 products. These take a 12V DC input and provide +/- 18V, +5V, +3.3V, +1.8V and +1.2V.

Hi.Mr.Siau, how good a new DAC must be to make the LA4 PreAmp insertion between DAC <--> Power amp irrelevant.

I saw many new DACs with SINAD over 120dB. Are they good enough. I am waiting for the new DAC4.
My benchmark system has LA4 and it makes DAC3 shine.

Thank you.

DACs_Lover

Thanks for the performance comparison. But it should be clear that it's compared to no preamp. (which is not the use case for most people) It's more realistic to compare to some other implementation or use conditions.(not saying to have to make such comparisons to demonstrate)
RME adi2 dac/pro has automated step attenuation to improve SNR at lower range. It's a combination of digital volume control and analog, which seem to be pretty ideal as an implementation.
I don't like to say it, but preamp shouldn't be hard to design. It doesn't need to drive anything more than the cable. For ideal performance it doesn't need more than a modded objective 2. (no xlr of course). It's just most designers out there like coloration from preamp so they chose discrete design with significant amount of noise and distortion. But you get the idea. I do appreciate the implementation of the relay resistor array for the perfect balanced and consistent low noise. For what it is, it's awesome. Just that for the sake of SNR alone, distortion even, it's achievable at very low price point. Simply: opamp buffer in, 1k pot, opamp buffer out. And it will achieve even less than 0.5uV. Some design will still have power supply noise but it's possible to make better design cheaply or to use battery. For benchmark system with dac3 and ahb2, any preamp with inherent noise under 2.4uV(which is the equivalent input noise of AHB2) will not cause bottleneck in the SNR performance. The performance of DAC3 is not in the equation, it will be attenuated by the preamp anyway, so unless there isn't a preamp to attenuation the noise, there won't be difference from the dac.
My summary: The preamp in LA4/HPA4 has superb performance that's good enough to not cause limitation in the best systems. And it does provide large improvement over pure digital control. It may not give benefits over some alternative solutions.

Mr.Yang, if Topping D90se was connected directly to Benchmark AHB2, is it going to be a bottleneck at every volume setting? Thank you.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Mr.Yang, if Topping D90se was connected directly to Benchmark AHB2, is it going to be a bottleneck at every volume setting? Thank you.
I don't think D90se will limit performance as the noise is 1.1uV A-weighed.
Only caveat is the requirements for max power in low gain mode. But as you stated you do not listen at highest level, hence D90se will pair well with AHB2.

stan21

Hi.Mr.Siau, how good a new DAC must be to make the LA4 PreAmp insertion between DAC <--> Power amp irrelevant.

I saw many new DACs with SINAD over 120dB. Are they good enough. I am waiting for the new DAC4.
My benchmark system has LA4 and it makes DAC3 shine.

Thank you.
@DACs_Lover, John already gave us all the answers in the thread above already. Read it and look at my grid. Aside from the academic discussion, the practical answer is that the LA4 is already irrelevant in you system. Your system is only as good as you weakest component and in your case that’s your speakers. The DAC3 far exceeds the sensitivity of your 85db SPL speakers by orders of magnitude. Look at graph 7 in your DAC3 manual. At -20dbFS, the DAC3 gives you THD+N of -122db, since you have digital attenuation your actual THD+N is 102db. That exceeds your speakers sensitivity by 17db.
Don’t worry about any of those DACs with 120db SINADs. A Topping D90SE will do nothing to improve your experience. Even if you get a DAC with 200db SINAD it would make zero difference to your audio life because your DAC3 already is far superior to you speakers. You have an extremely capable Benchmark system already and you are needlessly chasing your tail. And don’t worry about those speakers sensitivity now because then we get into a discussion about loudness and hearing. Enjoy your music, you have a phenomenal sound system already.

John B

Is this the best headphone amp on the market for driving low impedence planar designs cleanly? I've noticed a lot of members pairing these types of headphones with RME ADI 2 on the forum and am curious if there is a technical reason for this or if its primarily dollars : performance?

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
Does the LA4 completely remove the THX amplification module and use separate amplification circuitry for the active preamp, or does it use the THX amplification circuit to do the active preamplification?

John_Siau

Technical Expert
Audio Company
The THX888 headphone amplifier is not in the line output signal path. There are two identical fully-balanced relay-controlled preamplifiers in the HPA4. One drives the line outputs and the other drives the THX888 headphone amplifier.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@John_Siau, any possibility of supporting discrete input selection via IR codes on the LA4/HPA4 when not paired with a Benchmark DAC?

I have the workaround supplied by tech support, but it is not 100%. When the second command is missed, the mains do not work.
This is not family friendly.

- Rich

Larry B. Larabee

I just noticed this review from some time ago and wondered how it exhibits flawless performance in spite not following or even a mention of a harman curve as in the more recent hp reviews. Am I going crazy or is WTF is going on here a legitimate question?

John_Siau

Technical Expert
Audio Company
@John_Siau, any possibility of supporting discrete input selection via IR codes on the LA4/HPA4 when not paired with a Benchmark DAC?

I have the workaround supplied by tech support, but it is not 100%. When the second command is missed, the mains do not work.
This is not family friendly.

- Rich
You can disable unused inputs. This will allow you to scroll through a limited selection of inputs.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can disable unused inputs. This will allow you to scroll through a limited selection of inputs.

I have two inputs with all other inputs disabled.
Using a programmable remote, scrolling is unreliable.
The more inputs used, the less reliable it becomes.

Direct input selection could be a LA4/HPA4 option when not configured for use with a companion Benchmark DAC.

Direct input selection is an is expected in any product that offers a remote control.
All Benchmark DACs, even those costing less than the LA4 support direct input codes.

This is clear product deficiency not present in competing products that support a remote.
If the product is firmware upgradable, why not improve the LA4/HPA4?

- Rich

John_Siau

Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have two inputs with all other inputs disabled.
Using a programmable remote, scrolling is unreliable.
The more inputs used, the less reliable it becomes.

Direct input selection could be a LA4/HPA4 option when not configured for use with a companion Benchmark DAC.

Direct input selection is an is expected in any product that offers a remote control.
All Benchmark DACs, even those costing less than the LA4 support direct input codes.

This is clear product deficiency not present in competing products that support a remote.
If the product is firmware upgradable, why not improve the LA4/HPA4?

- Rich
Thank you for the suggestions. We will look into this.

In the meantime, here is a workaround that will solve your problem:
Enable the "DAC on input 1" mode.
Connect one of your signal sources to input 1.
Connect your second input to any of the remaining 3 inputs.
Disable any unused inputs.
Use any of the digital input buttons to select input 1.
Use the analog button to select the second input.

Larry B. Larabee

@Larry B. Larabee
Harman curve is for headphones, not headphone amplifiers ;-)
Well, that settles that, I am crazy. Thanks for pointing out.
Still it seems the harman curve is adding to the 'circle of confusion' instead of trying to eliminate it.
L

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the suggestions. We will look into this.

In the meantime, here is a workaround that will solve your problem:
Enable the "DAC on input 1" mode.
Connect one of your signal sources to input 1.
Connect your second input to any of the remaining 3 inputs.
Disable any unused inputs.
Use any of the digital input buttons to select input 1.
Use the analog button to select the second input.

Thanks, that was the procedure that tech support provided but I will now document it. ;)
The workaround works most of the time, but discrete are the way to go.

- Rich

Last edited:

Strumbringer

Guys- Very interested in in the HPA4 after someone highly recommended it to me. He says it pairs beautifully with ZMF headphones, of which I own two, the Verite Open and Auteur. Can anyone confirm that the HPA4 will pair well with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS? Some guys on another forum stated the ADI-2 is best paired with a tube amp, but I can't see how I could go wrong pairing with the HPA4. Thoughts are most appreciated.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is wrong with the headphone output/s on the RME ADI-2? Certainly, measurement-wise, it does all it needs to do.

Strumbringer

What is wrong with the headphone output/s on the RME ADI-2? Certainly, measurement-wise, it does all it needs to do.
Nothing is wrong with it. It sounds pretty good, in fact. I'm running my ADI-2 currently into the Bottlehead Crack and I feel that provides a good tube experience. I've heard great things about the HPA4 and the possibility that it will take my ZMF headphones to their true potential. I don't believe the ADI-2 does this (however I could be wrong). Hoping to learn and get some input. Would you suggest the headphone out of the ADI-2 will perform comparably to the HPA4?

Top Bottom