• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark DAC3

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I am not expert on electrostatic speakers

Well, I'm not an expert on electrostatic headphones.

Stax headphones do have high voltage not only on diaphragm but also on stators

That's a given for electrostatic operation.

Looking at some Stax schematics, all I see (so far) are tube amps (naturally higher voltages).

The transformer is cheap and simple solution

Headphones don't require much power, making them a good candidate for transformerless tube power.

My panels are 720 square inches. Headphone, maybe 2?

I don't know of any high voltage solid state amplifiers in the the audio realm.

I wonder what an OTL tube amp to give the same results as what I'm using now would look like?

(transformer) isnt as good as proper amplifier becose amp will have flatter frequency response and be more linear.

Maybe.

Graph Feppar

Kevin Gilmore designed atleast four fully solid state electrostatic amps. The KGSS, KGSSHV, Carbon and Cyclotron. Stax too has solid state amps like SRM 252 , SRM 353X ,SRM 727 , SRM D10 & D50 and also Cavalli used to make solidstate Stax amp.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There have been a number of direct-drive amplifiers over the years. I am not sure any have lasted; they tended to be unreliable IME and since they are so specialized they market is very small. Plus you need to modify the speakers or have then special-built (or bundle the amp with the speakers as some did).

But... AFAIK, the GIlmore amps are not direct-drive, just tailored for the load? I don't think any actually produced the HV required for ESLs... Stax did make some direct-drive models, as did some others. I have not looked for ages so may well be wrong about Gilmore's amps.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ok, now I see SS headphone amps.

https://staxaudio.com/driver/stax-srm-727ii

450Vrms output.

1547233607014.png

D700

I've searched Benchmark's site as well as these forums, not getting many hits.

Can anyone confirm that DAC3 series will output unbalanced/balanced simultaneously? I'm interested in running XLR to main amp and RCAs to powered sub. Will that work properly?

John_Siau

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes all outputs on the DAC3 are active simultaneously and they are independently buffered. There are two sets of unbalanced outputs and 1 set of balanced outputs on each DAC3 model. Many of our customers use the RCA outputs to drive subs.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes all outputs on the DAC3 are active simultaneously and they are independently buffered. There are two sets of unbalanced outputs and 1 set of balanced outputs on each DAC3 model. Many of our customers use the RCA outputs to drive subs.
It would be nice for a 4-8 balanced output dac with a built in streamer or at least USB 2.0 compliant for an external one on all channels with Roon.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PS: FWIW report, I finally got around to hooking up my turntable to the DAC3 HGC/AHB2 combination. Fed by a lowly Project Phono Box S I can say that it works just fine. I won't go in to loving details about the transcendental sonic quality, but I will say that I've never heard my records sound as good. Must be the added "rhythm and pace" of the $99.00 Phono Box. LOL

neutralguy

Did we ever find out what was wrong with the forum member's DAC3 that amirm initially tested and had higher than spec distortion? How can a DAC3 owner know if theirs has the same issue if they don't have a APx555?

cbnbmore

I’d like to thank you all for all the input you’ve placed into this thread. It has helped me in my decision to purchase this DAC. I’m burning it in now and can’t wait to hear it when settled in. Thanks everyone:)

tensor9

Forum Donor
Is there a double purchase discount for buying two AHB2s?? haha

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I’d like to thank you all for all the input you’ve placed into this thread. It has helped me in my decision to purchase this DAC. I’m burning it in now and can’t wait to hear it when settled in. Thanks everyone:)
There is no burn-in process for electronics. That is myth.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No. I don't think so. But you do get twice the fun.
Should be for buying a DAC3 and AHB2 together since the compromises a near complete system. :)

Funny that so many modern DAC's could be more appropriately be called a pre-amp since the function so well in that aspect.
Volume controled via remotes, analog inputs and multi digital inputs, all that's missing is a phono input. LOL

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should be for buying a DAC3 and AHB2 together since the compromises a near complete system. :)

Funny that so many modern DAC's could be more appropriately be called a pre-amp since the function so well in that aspect.
Volume controled via remotes, analog inputs and multi digital inputs, all that's missing is a phono input. LOL
I was very surprised at the 'total package' preamp functionality of my HGC. In spite of its very small form factor, it has multiple inputs (both digits and analog) along with 2 pre outs. I didn't think it through, and was wondering how to add a powered sub to my system, when I saw a post by John Saiu on this forum suggesting the use of one of the pre-outs. Duh... Solved that problem. Thanks, John.

I consider the AHB/DAC3 combo to be the perfect 'integrated' amp. Cheaper and better than the high end stuff from Lux, Accuphase, and McIntosh, but you don't get blue meters. I like blue meters. And a lacquered rosewood sleeve hand made by Japanese craftsmen. John should work on that. :cool:

PS: Record player? I use a one hundred dollar Project box in to A1, which works fine. No need to go nutz in the record playing department. I used to not think that way, but I've kind of beamed up into the modern era. LOL

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please enjoy it right away Burning is a myth.

ice

I’m a happy owner of a DAC3 HGC with the exception of one thing that really bothers me. When the device is powered off, but still plugged in to an outlet, it emits a faint high pitched squeal that is somewhat jarring in a quiet setting (or maybe I just have sensitive ears). I have it in my bedroom, and I find myself either physically unplugging it or leaving it powered on overnight so that it doesn’t disturb my sleep. Benchmark sent a replacement when I raised the issue a few weeks ago, but the second unit is now also exhibiting the same behavior. Are there any other owners of the DAC3 who are experiencing the same issue?

Top Bottom