• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

josh358

Problem with this calculator is it doesn't factor in the crest factor of recordings. This calculator tells me I would have 102.8db at my listening position with a 50W amp I used to own and 85db efficient speakers, but it got nowhere near that when the volume was maxed (measured this with a Radioshack SPL meter).
If you measured with an SPL meter, you have to take crest factor into account there, since an SPL meter isn't peak reading even in the "fast" (100 ms) mode. This causes no end of confusion.

Alec Kinnear

Forum Donor
If this is based on a THX design, lets hope some chinese like Topping or Smsl can build their more affordable version..

To build this level of quality and safety features for a lot less would be a challenge. Unlike many audio companies Benchmark seems to price somewhat fairly. I'm in Europe so it's too hard to buy, too expensive and too difficult to get maintenance. On our side of the water, I went for dual Pro-Ject Stereo Box DS2 vertically bi-amped. The result is good, but one has to be careful not to put too merciless a DAC/pre-amp combination in front as the Hypex UdC102 amps are not providing a soft landing (as my NAD C372 would). Still working to find the right match (might be the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, the traditional NAD C165BEE in front of a Musical Fidelity V90 is very good but is very big in my space). The Benchmark amp sounds similarly merciless.

Benchmark DAC/pre-amp and Benchmark amp might be a tough long-term listen. Has anyone got the pair running together? If so what are your impressions?

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Benchmark DAC/pre-amp and Benchmark amp might be a tough long-term listen. Has anyone got the pair running together? If so what are your impressions?

I spread the cost load by buying the Topping Pre 90 and an ex review AHB2.
What can be tough about listening to what was recorded ?

The Benchmark is good but not a huge step up from the Neurochrome monoblocks I have also.
I have a better version of these.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-neurochrome-modulus-286-amp.6443/
I built an earlier version, bridged with linear power supplies.

djkrimsom

Hi All,

My first post here.

Has anyone faced the problem (Speaker pop) seen in this video (Edit: not my video)

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi All,

My first post here.

Has anyone faced the problem (Speaker pop) seen in this video

EDIT: Since this is not your unit, then don't worry about it.
A soft pop on power off is not an issue and that is what I have on my 5 units.
Nothing like this video.

- Rich

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor

djkrimsom

Sorry guys, I should have been clear in my post, the above video is not mine.

I was doing my research on different amps and came across this thread and the video.

thank you for your replies.

Mariner9

I think there is a 20% import tax. Crazy if they add another 20% UK retail VAT on the price.

This might be Brexit-related? I was told by a German exporter that, as of this year, they have to charge 20% on exports to the UK - in addition to the VAT. There's a reason it is (or was) called "rip-off Britain".

walt99

Forum Donor
Hi All,

My first post here.

Has anyone faced the problem (Speaker pop) seen in this video (Edit: not my video)

No pop here, AHB2 works perfect in my setup.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No pop here, AHB2 works perfect in my setup.

We know nothing of the original poster of the video. Hopefully, they got this issue resolved but owner posting here, or any forum I have been on, have reports of anything like the loud pop in the video.

- Rich

Last edited:

misterdog

This might be Brexit-related? I was told by a German exporter that, as of this year, they have to charge 20% on exports to the UK - in addition to the VAT. There's a reason it is (or was) called "rip-off Britain".

Sorry that is nonsense.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/benchmark_ahb2_black.htm

Note the price is plus VAT, add the 20% VAT and say £ 15 for the cost of administering collection.

Cost to you in the UK £ 3055.

Now check the UK retail price.
Also check the VAT rate in Denmark and Sweden (just for completeness).

One interesting point is that Thomann are supplied by the European distributor based in ............ the UK.

Reactions: DSS

misterdog

The UK RRP went from £ 3250 to 3500 last year when there was a huge dip in £ V $ exchange rate (Covid not Brexit).

They forgot to lower the price when the exchange rate 'normalised'.

Seems to be a great option to order from Thomann.

It is but many are put off with these stories of Brexit.

Even cheaper for me to buy one from my brother in California, and get a 5 year warranty. :)

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The UK RRP went from £ 3250 to 3500 last year when there was a huge dip in £ V $ exchange rate (Covid not Brexit).

They forgot to lower the price when the exchange rate 'normalised'.

It is but many are put off with these stories of Brexit.

Even cheaper for me to buy one from my brother in California, and get a 5 year warranty. :)

The AHB2 fits in the carryon :p

- Rich

Mariner9

Sorry that is nonsense.

Just relaying what I was told by the exporter, who said that the additional charges (25%, not 20%; I checked the email) were due to Brexit.

I don't dispute that the exporter might be trying their luck - they would not be the first company I've encountered that simply made up taxes and tried to get the customer to pay them.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just relaying what I was told by the exporter, who said that the additional charges (25%, not 20%; I checked the email) were due to Brexit.

I don't dispute that the exporter might be trying their luck - they would not be the first company I've encountered that simply made up taxes and tried to get the customer to pay them.

I think claiming that a tax or collecting as a tax inaccurately is a crime.
If the claim that the AHB2 costs more because of Brexit, then that is just a good old fashioned rip-off.

- Rich

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
I think the import is directly from the US. Doesn't make sense to ship to the EU and then to the UK. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that Brexit is playing a significant role - certainly not to hike the price of the item to that extent. Benchmark should do what the Chinese are offering and that is direct sales. How good would that be for us all here on the other side of the pond??!!!

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the import is directly from the US. Doesn't make sense to ship to the EU and then to the UK. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that Brexit is playing a significant role - certainly not to hike the price of the item to that extent. Benchmark should do what the Chinese are offering and that is direct sales. How good would that be for us all here on the other side of the pond??!!!

There are issues with direct sales as well. Rythmik has had issues with direct sales with false claims and credit card charge-backs with recourse.
I think they suspended overseas sales for the time being.

- Rich

Top Bottom