• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Please, most 50-60 rock and blues recordings have just about everything done badly that can be done badly..

More so when that music was new and I was playing them on the tube radio in my 56 Chevy. So smooth sounding even with the vibrator softly buzzing in the background. :)
Yeah vibrators for high voltage. Tube audio circuits with primitive switch mode supplies. :)

zalive

Please, most 50-60 rock and blues recordings have just about everything done badly that can be done badly..

It's, well...old recordings :) however for some reason I usually dislike more 80's recordings when the era of digital began and CD mastering was usually done poorly...

To be fair, there are recording that sound better in my car :p:)

If the last stage of production for those records was done at low fi speakers/system then I'd say it was pretty much intentional.

maty

Major Contributor
Yesterday my two systems sounded very bad, so I gave up listening to music. What do they have in common? the terrible electrical supply that I suffer from the company. I have a few DIY hard to alleviate it but there are days when it is impossible.

Yesterday it would have been the same if the amplifier had been the Benchmark AHB2.

That is a very common bottleneck. Usually in audio fairs.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yesterday my two systems sounded very bad, so I gave up listening to music. What do they have in common? the terrible electrical supply that I suffer from the company. I have a few DIY hard to alleviate it but there are days when it is impossible.

Yesterday it would have been the same if the amplifier had been the Benchmark AHB2.

That is a very common bottleneck. For example, it is very common in audio fairs.

Have you checked with an audiologist. Your supply must be VERY bad, otherwise, and not suitable for the purpose of HiFi - if so you may need a different hobby to avoid the constant frustration of high goals vs compromised realisation. :cool:

maty

Major Contributor
That is why I spent the money getting the problem fixed instead of a new amplifier. Now I only suffer very occasionally.

maty

Major Contributor
A lot of DC & Ripple blockers, RF/EMI filters and 150 kHz ferrites, and galvanized steel sheets because I also suffer from RF atmospheric at home.

If the voltage exceeds 238 Vac then the sound is shrill: Hi-Fi -> Lo-Fi.

In other forums I was explaining the process. I send you a link. You have a message.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What did you do?
main-qimg-45e6a254494d86adb6c0e6f5de36d7da-c.jpg

maty

Major Contributor
I hope the moderators take note of your annotation with the intention of personally discrediting using a funny image, demonstrating your inability to argue properly.

Similar images used by others, for which I had already complained.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I hope the moderators take note of your annotation with the intention of personally discrediting using a funny image, demonstrating your inability to argue properly.

Similar images used by others.

Do you step back and critique your postings? They often come across as parodies of science and engineering. :rolleyes:

D700

Do you step back and critique your postings? They often come across as parodies of science and engineering. :rolleyes:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarragona
“Founded before the 5th century BC”

Ah man, give Maty a pass; he’s probably dealing with electrical problems Caesar himself couldn’t solve....and perhaps created;)

I’d love to see how modern stereo would have worked at my papaw’s place in rural Tennessee back in the 50s....something about grandma having to unscrew that one light bulb before she could turn on the radio...

Wombat

Master Contributor
Reminds me of the rural electricity subscribers who were used to taking 10 minutes for the toast to be done in their electric toasters. We did some routine system analysis, improved the supply and they realised that they were dudded previously. Of course no one complained because 'this must be how it is for everyone'. They were just a generation happy to have 'electricity'.

P.S. My Grandma plugged the iron into the light socket above the kitchen(ironing) table. God I'm old. ;)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarragona
“Founded before the 5th century BC”

I’d love to see how modern stereo would have worked at my papaw’s place in rural Tennessee back in the 50s....something about grandma having to unscrew that one light bulb before she could turn on the radio...
Depending upon which side of the TVA fence you stand, (that is, whether they took your property for the Tellico/Fort Loudoun projects), electricity is not an issue now. My grandfather had a farm in East TN. If he wanted music he'd play his guitar. They had a radio, so you could get the Cas Walker farm report, and the Grand Ole Oprey broadcast. Tubes, so the mid-range was really liquid, and you could hear the space between the instruments.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reminds me of the rural electricity subscribers who were used to taking 10 minutes for the toast to be done in their electric toasters. We did some routine system analysis, improved the supply and they realised that they were dudded previously. Of course no one complained because 'this must be how it is for everyone'. They were just a generation happy to have 'electricity'.

P.S. My Grandma plugged the iron into the light socket above the kitchen(ironing) table. God I'm old. ;)

Occasionally, it took 3 minutes 40 seconds to listen to a 3 minute song with my old amp. With the AHB2, they finish on time. :)

- Rich

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Occasionally, it took 3 minutes 40 seconds to listen to a 3 minute song with my old amp. With the ABB2, they finish on time. :)
Oh yeah, that's what I call PRaT:p... oh wait, whats an ABB2?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yeah, that's what I call PRaT:p... oh wait, whats an ABB2?

It's a custom version with low wow-and-flutter that provides extra pace and toe-tapping excitement. :p

- Rich

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the voltage exceeds 238 Vac then the sound is shrill:
There is something wrong with your kit then as that voltage is within specification, and generally amps prefer more rather than less juice.
More likely it's purely in your head, but for some reason audiophiles never want to admit that they have emotions that we cannot control.

etc6849

I'm enjoying them while reading this thread if that helps :)

My AHB2's are still one of the best audio purchases I have ever made (most expensive too, but when you own 10 of them that is to be expected). In fact, they were the most expensive single purchase I have ever made aside from my home...

Every time I listen to them though I am still blown away 2 years later. Together with a bunch of other improvements like multiple subs, active tri-amping, room treatments, I am getting sound like I have never heard anywhere.

And the AHB2 amp discussion continues...

tensor9

Forum Donor
So, how might this AHB2 run a pair of Magnepan 3.7i?
They are a 4 Ohm, current-hungry, mostly non-reactive load.
magfig1.jpg

This is for the 3.6R, but you get the idea.

Top Bottom