• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So, ever since I first read this review, I've been eager to get my hands on one but I was a bit hesitant because of the cost.

Then I realized they're only 10 miles away from me!

How can I not have this amplifier powering my system when it's made in my hometown? #buylocal!

View attachment 42361
Any time you buy domestic-local products you've entered into a win-win financial situation.
Congrats on your choice, enjoy your amp. ;)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, ever since I first read this review, I've been eager to get my hands on one but I was a bit hesitant because of the cost. Then I realized they're only 10 miles away from me! How can I not have this amplifier powering my system when it's made in my hometown? #buylocal!
Better call ahead to make sure they have one in stock. There's usually a waiting list for their little box. And it is little, compared...

etc6849

Nice! You won't regret it. I have some speakers I re-wired to go full active and swapped my old amps out and bought AHB2's; I am glad I did. Nothing beats the realism I am hearing.

I'm using older Xilica XD4080 speaker processors for the DSP and DACs, but Xilica has some new gear out that is really neat:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...what-pre-pro-for-audio-only.9011/#post-279092

But back to the AHB2 and tri-amping... The AHB2 amps are an absolute engineering feat. The craftsmanship, dedication and care that have gone into designing these just amazes me. They will indeed make a passive system sound great too with the right upstream components, but my horns are very sensitive so without a passive XO, I really needed top notch amps to stop the hiss.

I searched and searched, then remembered hearing about the Benchmark AHB2 on a podcast. I looked at the measurements, and had to have them as I had a good inkling they were the missing piece to audio perfection. Ever since, the realism and transparency of my setup is nothing like I have heard at any price. I am literally transported when I listen to a well made recording. Same with movies. Of course, my setup is cost prohibitive, took hundreds of hours to get right and the most expensive thing I own... but everyone has to have a hobby right?

theater.jpg

Have to agree with you here, with the success of the 789, I’d have thought there might be some rumbling of manufacturers thinking of offering something in the speaker amp segment. For those interested in fully digital setups, near field, etc where the power of the AHB2 isn’t going to be fully utilized, it would be amazing to see some competing offerings. Fingers crossed for the (near) future.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a pity that there is no black panel version for Chinese agents ...
Out of curiosity, is there an import duty or premium on American electronics to China? AHB2 is $3,000.00 here, which would be about 21,000.00 RMB in direct exchange.

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, is there an import duty or premium on American electronics to China? AHB2 is $3,000.00 here, which would be about 21,000.00 RMB in direct exchange.

I bought it for just under 21,000 RMB. I think the price is fair.

avanti1960

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Benchmark AHB2 Amplifier using THX technology to reduce distortion. I was going to request one for testing due to membership demand but to my pleasant surprise, the company volunteered to contact me and send not one, but two units! I requested the second one because of something I was seeing in the measurements that turned out to be my issue, not the amp's. The AHB2 retails for US $2,999 from the company direct.

The AHB2 is a very compact form factor, enabled by use of switching power supply to increase efficiency/density:

There is just a power switch in the front. It might be but I constantly reached for the screw next to it to power it on! Having the power switch be slightly different color or shape may help with this.

There are a set of LEDs that show the status of the amplifier. They are driven by an FPGA (field programmable digital logic) that monitors all aspects of the amplifier and shuts down the unit if stressed. It did so very quickly and efficiently in my testing. Usually this is done with purely analog or maybe a small microprocessor. As such, the coverage of scenarios that could damage the amplifier is much less complete than using the approach Benchmark is using in AHB2.

Here is the back panel:

This is a very minimalistic approach given the small amount of real estate available. Only input is XLR balanced which is just fine in my book. A gain switch allows the input level to be controlled so that you can just use an RCA to XLR adapter and still get full power (2 volt max in high gain). At the other extreme, the low gain setting is designed for professional pre-amps with lots of output, getting its max power at 9.8 volts. Using this scheme, the signal to noise ratio can be improved as you will see in measurements later.

For speaker terminals there are two sets: classic heavy duty banana jacks and SpeakOn. The SpeakOn are locking and provide the best performance. I lost about 3 dB of performance using the banana jacks due to less secure connect there. So the measurements you see are with SpeakOn jacks.

Another minor nit on that note: I had a rather cheap SpeakOn cable and its plug was just large enough to hit the silver screws that the sockets are mounted with. Typical round shaped SpeakOn ones are not an issue. Flush mount screws would solve this problem.

There is a switch for selecting stereo or mono bridged output. The latter quadruples the amount of power available and unlike typical bridging, according to Benchmark comes at no penalty in distortion! I plan to test this later as it has a minimum impedance of 6 ohm so I could not use the 4 ohm setup I used for this testing.

There is a very beefy AC mains cable with really nice locking tabs. Insert it and it stays put unless you push the two red tabs on each side. Nothing is more aggravating than the AC cable coming half-way lose from the IEC socket.

Being a proper company of course the AHB2 comes with full set of regulatory/safety/emissions certifications which is super important with power amplifiers given the high voltages and currents running around in them.

In use the AHB2 stays very cool for a power amplifier when it is idling, outputting little power which was a nice surprise.

As to THX technology, it merges a low-power but very low distortion amplifier with a high power but higher distortion amplifier. The distortion of the latter is not seen because it is producing so much power (so the ratio of distortion is lower). The general scheme is not new, dating back to 1980s but new implementation is. We have seen this in stellar performance of Massdrop THX AAA 789 amplifier which broke new ground in level of distortion and noise. Will the Benchmark AHB2 manage the same? Let's see.

Power Amplifier Audio Measurements
As usual, I start with my 5 watt output test using 4 ohm load using SpeakOn terminals as noted:

View attachment 26575

I hope your jaw is on the floor just like mine was when I saw this picture emerge! :) 113 dB THD+N in a power amplifier? Are you kidding me?

Look at the harmonic distortion. The worst case spike is below -130 dB! This is insanely good. Of course this type of SINAD (signal and noise ratio) crowns the Benchmark AHB2 as the best I have ever tested:
View attachment 26576

The performance was so good I literally had to rebuild my dummy load to get there. Even the quality of the metal used in the connectors matters to get to this level of distortion. I replace all my dummy loads with higher precision ones that have much less VCR (voltage coefficient of resistance). Resistor values can become voltage dependent creating distortions of their own. Up to about 105 dB of THD+N, it doesn't matter but beyond that, the VCR was the dominant distortion, not the Benchmark AHB2 amplifier!

It was requested that I show the breakdown and distortion so here we are:
View attachment 26577

Our best case hearing threshold is -116 dB SPL so no question that this level of distortion is totally inaudible. Separating the noise from THD, we see that it is noise that we are measuring as THD+N, rather than distortion:
View attachment 26578

And this is with exceptional noise performance of Benchmark AHB2 as we see in the graph of THD+N versus power:

View attachment 26579

Even in high gain, the AHB2 easily outperforms the DIY Hypex NC400 I had tested before which used to be the best amp I had tested.

We have 185 watts of power at incredibly low distortion of 0.00016%, besting the company specifications.

Note that the FPGA protection mode kicks in and essentially shots the amplifier down past the limit. You get absolutely distortion-less and noiseless performance until there is no more.

EDIT: here is performance in bridged mode using same 4 ohm load:
View attachment 26592

You get 500 watts of stunningly clean power. Protection circuit shut the unit down after that so it is quite safe to try. With a THD essentially matching the non-bridged mode, there is no reason to be afraid of trying this.

Intermodulation distortion versus power level shows the same story of clean power:

View attachment 26580

If you want to know what you get for extra money over bargain amplifiers, you can see the difference in the above graph. We are not talking about 5 to 10 dB but whopping 40 dB better!

I have had requests for intermodulation distortion using dual 19 and 20 kHz tones. Here is that:
View attachment 26582

THD+N versus output level looks far cleaner than anything I have tested before:

View attachment 26583

Even at the limit of our hearing (20 kHz), we have vanishingly low amount of distortion. The graph is exaggerated so shows a rise there but in absolute levels, despite 90 kHz bandwidth of the test, we have incredibly low THD+N of just .004%.

The sharp spike at 45 Hz in green shows the amplifier going into protection mode. So don't pump that sine wave continuously into it at 133 watts. :)

Frequency response is exceptional too as expected:
View attachment 26581

Since this is not a switching amplifier, there is no filter there allowing the bandwidth to go to 200 kHz and beyond. Lowest band of AM radio is 450 kHz so likely you could use the AHB2 for an AM radio transmitter! :)

Usually when we test switching amplifiers we see all kind of "interesting" things in their outputs above hearing range. The AHB2 is a classic configuration albeit, with a switching power supply so all is well and clean here:

View attachment 26584

My reference graph for the Hypex NC400 used an AES filter (by accident) so I ran the AHB2 both ways, with or without that filter. Using the filter (in green) so the two are equal, we see much cleaner spectrum below 200 kHz and of course, no massive switching spikes. Worst case spike is below -115 dB. In other words, the Benchmark AHB2 is clean even in the areas you are not looking! It is like a restaurant scrubbing their parking lot with soap and pad as well as their dishes. :)

My loose wires on dummy loads is not the best setup for measuring crosstalk but here it is anyway:
View attachment 26585

Where our hearing is most sensitive (2 to 5 kHz), separation is around 100 dB which is way, way more than we need. Despite the small enclosure, the AHB2 manages exceptional numbers here.

EDIT: forgot to run the classic SNR test in the original review:
View attachment 26636

Wow, assuming you play at peak of 120 dBSPL, your noise floor will be at -10 dBSPL! That is absolute silence.

Conclusions
It goes without saying that the Benchmark AHB2 breaks new ground with respect to performance of power amplifiers. Using it, you can be assured that any distortion that you hear is from other sources (speaker, source, content, etc.). This is what I look for in high-end audio: absolutely the best performance so no second guessing is involved. You buy once, and you are happy forever!

All of this comes from a company that is a model of transparency with proper and accurate measurements of their products on their site. And importantly, volunteering to have that data shown to be correct by independent sources such as us. Support form the company for me at least has also been exceptional.

Yes, $3,000 is fair bit of money but is pocket change in high-end audio. Sales tax is higher than $3,000 for most of those products! I hear a lot of talk from audiophiles to have the equipment get out of the way of enjoying the music. Well the Benchmark AHB2 at levels that assuredly passes full transparency. So if that is your moto, you better stop buying boutique products with no specs and independent measurements and get an AHB2. Everything you hear then will be what is in your source, not the dirty dishes that your amp my serve your food on.

Needless to say, the Benchmark AHB2 gets my strongest recommendation for power amplifier. The pink panther agrees, having hit the ball out of the park after I took that shot!

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

The comedian Chris Rock said it best: there is a difference between being rich and wealthy. If a wealthy person had as much money as I have, he would hang himself! So please donate enough money so that I can become wealthy using either:

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or
upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).
Nice thorough technical review of measurements. It appears to sound incredible on paper but unfortunately hearing an amplifier perform is an auditory input and best done with music and hearing.
This is the longest running thread on this amplifier and there is lots of helpful information but little in the way of listening impressions. Perhaps this is the wrong site for this but it seems a wasted opportunity to not include listening impressions in your review.

What source and preamplifiers work well?
What is the approximate cutoff for room size and speaker efficiency for the use of a single amp in stereo?
What kind of speakers is the sound signature and electrical capabilities best suited for?
Impressions of the sound- lean, neutral, warm, transparent, dynamic, harsh, sweet, analytical, bass heavy?
Anyone use a tube preamplifier or are all forms of distortion verboten and dismissed as unthinkable?
Thanks in advance, just trying to decide on a purchase regardless of the 30 day return window.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Nice thorough technical review of measurements. It appears to sound incredible on paper but unfortunately hearing an amplifier perform is an auditory input and best done with music and hearing.
This is the longest running thread on this amplifier and there is lots of helpful information but little in the way of listening impressions. Perhaps this is the wrong site for this but it seems a wasted opportunity to not include listening impressions in your review.

What source and preamplifiers work well?
What is the approximate cutoff for room size and speaker efficiency for the use of a single amp in stereo?
What kind of speakers is the sound signature and electrical capabilities best suited for?
Impressions of the sound- lean, neutral, warm, transparent, dynamic, harsh, sweet, analytical, bass heavy?
Anyone use a tube preamplifier or are all forms of distortion verboten and dismissed as unthinkable?
Thanks in advance, just trying to decide on a purchase regardless of the 30 day return window.
All of things you mention are subjective. This amplifier just amplifies what it is fed. If you don't like the result, change your speakers.

Tubes are not forbidden if you are more into MyFi.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I've started typing down listening impressions after I got the amp and deleted/didn't send them multiple times. It just doesn't make any sense to me to post this. Especially here. I'm sure there's lots of other forums and reviews where you can get subjective listening impressions.

Besides. If you don't like the "sound" of this amp, it's not the amp. I'd rather fix the rest of my setup than go switching amps. For what it's worth I'm feeding it from a Topping D50, but I wish I'd gotten something with XLR outs.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no way to conduct any sort of A-B or ABX comparisons. However, with my fairly sensitive speakers (Klipsch LaScala II) I hear no hiss at all. Even with the preamp/amp turned up (Benchmark DAC3 HGC and AHB). To me the sound is very clean, but I don't know what I can say about it that is meaningful. I do think the Benchmark sounded better than a set of Dyna Mk IV amps I built (Ed Laurent-David Hafler tube design from the late '50s). But that sort of comparison is likely meaningless to anyone interested in an AHB amplifier in today's modern era.

Another upside is its small form-factor. It is positively tiny, in comparison with most amps.

The downside is that it is rather 'industrial' in appearance. It is not an Accuphase or McIntosh. That said, the 'fit and finish' are first rate.

For the dollar, there is nothing that even approaches it. In fact, for any dollar amount, you will not find anything better. Unless you require tons of raw power. Then, you have to go bridged. And perhaps that might not even be enough.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Perhaps this is the wrong site for this but it seems a wasted opportunity to not include listening impressions in your review.
There are other sites for this, if you want such observations.
The latter.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Totally inconsequential post, but if my retirement plan comes to fruition in 2022 & after I relocate, 3 AHB2s will be on my buy list.
Driving 3 Studio2s.

BTW, Happy New Year!
Brilliant! I did exactly the same thing for my retirement. Happy New Year!

Milt

Monobloc\Bridged.

I have 3 Studio2s for L\C\R.
I've had a stereo pair since 2013 but with the news that they were being discontinued at a sweet discount, I bought one more ;)
I'm a sucker for 3 identical speakers across the soundstage.
The real issue is finding a pre-amp & DAC that match.
The eXA-Sound is the only MCH DAC I know of that has comparable performance.
I've a couple Oppo-205s but a complimentary pre-amp is a just not there as of yet or ever, AFAIK.
Perhaps the successor to the Anthem D2 processor but who knows when that will be out.

Last edited:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally inconsequential post, but if my retirement plan comes to fruition in 2022 & after I relocate, 3 AHB2s will be on my buy list.
Driving 3 Studio2s.

BTW, Happy New Year!
What if something cheaper and better comes along?

Top Bottom