• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

Bobo75

Sound cleaner , more detailed , and fuller rounding sound … at first it felt almost like it was under powered and not very loud … I was using a Audioquest power cable and maybe it wasn’t plugged in correctly cause the stock power chord lifted the sound … sorry it’s hard for me to put on paper what I’m thinking and what I hear …

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Sound cleaner , more detailed , and fuller rounding sound … at first it felt almost like it was under powered and not very loud … I was using a Audioquest power cable and maybe it wasn’t plugged in correctly cause the stock power chord lifted the sound … sorry it’s hard for me to put on paper what I’m thinking and what I hear …
Thinking, certainly. Hearing... unlikely. Highly unlikely. Overwhelmingly unlikely.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You’re the exact reason I never come on these chats … get a life fool .. goodbye
You have the opportunity here to cast away a lot of nonsense that people have put in your head. Likewise, you also have a chance to better understand the sort of games your brain plays with you.

The door to knowledge is open. It's your choice whether or not to walk through it.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You’re the exact reason I never come on these chats … get a life fool .. goodbye

Get a life fool?

If you change your mind and decide to stick around, maybe dial that back a little.

There is a lot to be misled by out there. Rather than buy into this stuff without question, we try to get to where the evidence lay, or lies as the case may be.

Don't take it all personally...it's certainly not meant that way.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I always think back to how much more I knew than my parents when I was 15, and how much more they knew than me when I was 25... Amazing how much smarter they got in that time. ;)

Bobo75

I might have overreacted and I apologize… what is everyone thoughts on using the AHB2 in unbalanced? Do you feel using a tube preamp negates the purpose of the AHB2 ?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I might have overreacted and I apologize… what is everyone thoughts on using the AHB2 in unbalanced? Do you feel using a tube preamp negates the purpose of the AHB2 ?

The AHB2 will faithfully reproduce the output of the tun preamp. It could be considered a step in the right-direction. ;)

- Rich

Bobo75

I’m stuck !!! I upgraded to the AHB2 from a Peachtree Nova 300 I was running in power amp mode … I was expecting a upgrade but I feel like my soundstage isn’t as wide and the details not as good … while listening to Bill Evans live at the Vanguard I could hear the drummer hitting a snare also can hear the people talking in the background while using the Nova … same album same song and I can no longer hear those things thru the AHB2 … everything was the same in my setup except the amps … I have now upgraded all my tubes in my preamp and got RCA to XLR chords straight from Benchmark and still no effect … maybe the unbalanced connection makes that big of a difference? I need help ? Prolly only have about 50 hrs on AHB2 … but have spent close to $800 trying to reproduce the details and soundstage the Nova gave me …

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m stuck !!! I upgraded to the AHB2 from a Peachtree Nova 300 I was running in power amp mode … I was expecting a upgrade but I feel like my soundstage isn’t as wide and the details not as good … while listening to Bill Evans live at the Vanguard I could hear the drummer hitting a snare also can hear the people talking in the background while using the Nova … same album same song and I can no longer hear those things thru the AHB2 … everything was the same in my setup except the amps … I have now upgraded all my tubes in my preamp and got RCA to XLR chords straight from Benchmark and still no effect … maybe the unbalanced connection makes that big of a difference? I need help ? Prolly only have about 50 hrs on AHB2 … but have spent close to $800 trying to reproduce the details and soundstage the Nova gave me …

Having looked at the specs, https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/products/nova300, it looks like you should be using the higher gain (upmost position) on the AHB2s. If you are already doing that, then it may be that the prior amps colored the sound.

You could also contact Benchmark, they are very responsive.

- Rich

Bobo75

I appreciate the help and will try the higher gain … hopefully that helps … I’ve heard the same imagining on different sources besides the Nova … once again I appreciate you’re help .. thanks

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate the help and will try the higher gain … hopefully that helps … I’ve heard the same imagining on different sources besides the Nova … once again I appreciate you’re help .. thanks

The AHB2 high-gain mode is 23 dB. Many amps have a 28/29 dB gain.
Try turning the preamp up (high gain mode) by 5 to 6 dB to estimate a gain match and see what you think.

- Rich

Bobo75

The AHB2 high-gain mode is 23 dB. Many amps have a 28/29 dB gain.
Try turning the preamp up (high gain mode) by 5 to 6 dB to estimate a gain match and see what you think.

- Rich
My Prima Luna Evo 100 has a gain of only 10.8 db and I can’t change it .. I will try to change my gain in my Chord Qutest DAC …

Top Bottom