• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I disagree that this is a reasonably priced power amp. On top of that they sell direct so their profit margin must be huge. Also they are using technology very similar to Carver SS amps of the 80"s and 90's that you can buy for 400 dollars that have twice the power.
I'm not sure I'd want to put that Carver amp in a commercial setting. And I say that as the owner and user of a commercial Carver PM-300. Also, I suspect the distortion of that Carver is probably 25-30 dB higher than the Benchmark, which may not be important in any given case, but which is there all the same. One could certainly pay a LOT more and get a LOT less.

What was the price of that Carver amp back in the day? I've had mine for probably 30 years and don't recall. But you can't compare the primary and secondary market for anything.

Finally, price is not the same thing as cost.

Rick "a fan of Carver products but this is apples and oranges" Denney

Bridges

I'm not sure I'd want to put that Carver amp in a commercial setting. And I say that as the owner and user of a commercial Carver PM-300. Also, I suspect the distortion of that Carver is probably 25-30 dB higher than the Benchmark, which may not be important in any given case, but which is there all the same. One could certainly pay a LOT more and get a LOT less.

What was the price of that Carver amp back in the day? I've had mine for probably 30 years and don't recall. But you can't compare the primary and secondary market for anything.

Finally, price is not the same thing as cost.

Rick "a fan of Carver products but this is apples and oranges

Bridges

I believe Amir's opinions and measurements, this is must be a very good power amp, but 3000 bucks is neither apples nor oranges.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe Amir's opinions and measurements, this is must be a very good power amp, but 3000 bucks is neither apples nor oranges.
$3,000 is actually both apples and oranges. Different quantities of each to get there, though.

Chester

To all those F208 owners who were saying they really need a pair of AHB2’s as monos…..how loud do you listen?! I recently acquired a pair and running my F208’s on just one, I get scared way before the AHB2 does :)

I write this for any future owners who may assume the same as I did. Try one first before shelling out for a pair.

Don’t worry though, the other one is working out nicely in a second system.

radix

Major Contributor
To all those F208 owners who were saying they really need a pair of AHB2’s as monos…..how loud do you listen?! I recently acquired a pair and running my F208’s on just one, I get scared way before the AHB2 does :)

I write this for any future owners who may assume the same as I did. Try one first before shelling out for a pair.

I have the F228be (90 dB sensitivity vs 88.5 for the F208), but I listen about 3m away in a room with open archways to other parts of the house. I want to get up to about 95+ dB SPL for a party (with 6-9 dB headroom). That's about 220W, which is more than the stereo output, but quite a bit less than the mono output. Normally I'm listening at much much lower volume.

It's also important that the input sensitivity be set right for your preamp. Some people might have it on low, which will really under power the amp if not using the Benchmark preamps (or another really hot preamp).

12Many

Did you notice a benefit in the quality of the sound (not the volume) when you ran two AHB2 amps?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Anthem STR preamp was measured on Audioholics.@ 106 dB SNR analog (1V in, 2V out) and 110 dB SNR digital (0dBFS in, 2V out).

Just to point out that the Audioholics measurement of SNR is not the same as SINAD. The SINAD graph we can see here:

1702682495101.jpeg

0.0006% at 1 kHz = 104.4 dB.

I’ve never seen a full-featured preamp with better than 105 dB SINAD. The best traditional analogue preamps are in the 90’s.

I got to 105.7 dB using a 108 dB signal generator :). That’s from the 80’s not the 90’s though.

denydog

I can confirm Chester's advice regarding F208s and the Benchmark amp. I've never seen a clipping light. But I usually use both of mine like radix does. Two of them just seem to fill up the rack nicely.

The recent purchase of the AHB2s was to complete the dream system I've always wanted, I got the pair so I wouldn't have to think about amplification again.

I'm using the Topping Pre90 with the amps in low gain. Next move is to get longer interconnects and shorter speaker cables, moving the amps next to each speaker. Can't do that with one amp. Cheers

Titmouse

Forum Donor
Subjective review below...

Went from a Parasound a23+ to the AHB2 after viewing this thread. Using a media PC to Topping e70 DAC directly into amp (balanced) powering Kef R5 speakers

Woofers: This is the first time I've noticed my speaker woofers utilizing their capability, even though there are less advertised watts of power in the AHB2. It's not like adding two huge subwoofers to the room, but the R5 woofers are now present and useful

Imaging: a23+ has three rather distinct locations for sound to sit when playing tracks that utilized stereo channel separation. Left / center / right. Not much in between. AHB2 does not present like that, I now perceive audio in more locations between the speakers. And when something is far left / right it doesn't seem like there is a hard edge of where it stops, more of a general area on left / right. This is a weird one to me, not sure what would cause this from a technical standpoint, speakers haven't moved. Interested to know, if its placebo I'm fine with that too

"Flatness": As some reviews stated, I also had the impression that the sound was somewhat "flat" when compared to my a23+. After listening for a few hours I plugged the a23+ back up, immediately felt a23+ was thin. I think I confused presence of bass from AHB2 as being flat, wasn't used to hearing fuller range of sound. Removing a23+ and switching back to AHB2 the sound felt correct, like I disabled a high pass filter

Enough Power: I sit about 9 feet away, have not gotten the amp to clip with my speakers. Volume reached my pain threshold so I stopped, no lights came on

Sound "Depth": a23+ did have one aspect I liked, most audio tracks felt like they were not playing right in my face. Adding a subtle VST reverb filters helps me perceive more depth when desired

Neutrality: The output is what I perceive to be more neutral in my current room setup. Looking forward to customizing the sound using filters. Couldn't do much with the a23+ as all my filter attempts made things sound uncomfortable or funky. Was locked into the base flavor

Smooth Loudness: I believe it's subtly smoother sounding compared to a23+ when playing louder volumes

Visual Appeal: I like the way it looks in black, smaller proportions work well with topping sized DACs / Preamp boxes

Power LED: AHB2 has no way of dimming "power on" LED that I can find when searching the manual online, it's brighter than I like. Is this adjustable?

Price for Value: About double the price of an a23+. I am willing to pay that extra for what it offers after demoing in my room. But this wasn't a life changing experience. More of "Oh, this is very nice, I can keeping listening to this". Gut response I would pin the value at $2,700 or less. I wasn't confident enough to buy used so I paid $3,500 directly

Thanks ASR for helping me part with my money faster than before. I've got two E15HP2 subs on the way...(they were out of stock of F12's in white)

kadajawi

The AHB2 has about the same noise performance in all settings. However, you will be hard pressed to find 4 Vrms or 2 Vrms outputs that can deliver a 132 to 135 dB SNR to match that of the AHB2.
Not quite there, but some MiniDSPs should get close, right?

Top Bottom