• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Aurender A10 Streamer

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Aren't 2.0V/4.0V output line level more like a consensus among manufacturers than a standard? I thought -10dBV/4dBU were the standard? Aren't 2.0/4.0V more like a maximum?

What is then the headroom available on domestic audio inputs (amps/preamps) above the "standard" level? If I'm correct, 2.0/4.0V would already require a +16dB/+10dB headroom above "standard" at the amp/preamp input. Shouldn't we avoid having more than 2.0/4.0V output to avoid the risk of building saturation down the line?
Yes you are absolutely correct there is no standard that I am aware of, more convention. Poor choice of words on my behalf.

Headroom is entirely dependent on the designers choices. There is no requirement for a specific amount of headroom, I am not sure where you are coming from there, just that the amp / pre-amp doesnt distort with the maximum expected input voltage.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Indeed, but we are still back to the fundamental issue that higher output voltage (all things being equal) will yield a better SINAD.

Yes indeed. We have circled back to the essentially same position, numerous times, in various ways and multiple threads, in a sadly, futile attempt to justify change (or at least an adherence to de-facto standards) and unfortunately, it has fallen on deaf ears.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
This thing has been available since at least early 2017. If 4TB SSDs were even available then, price would be a major consideration even with the $5500 retail on this ...

Hmm ...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=4tb ssd&Submit=ENE
Considering the retail channel pays 35% of the RRPs, proposing then the items with a 20% discount, it looks that the 4TB SSDs might be available in the OEM channel for $500 max ? Not a big incidence increase, if any, on a machine with a $5,500 RRP ...

It might be more a technical reason at the base of the double drive solution ...

JaapDeventer

Good to know it's perfect as a dac too. I thought it would be a streamer first.
It would be interesting when you would be able to test the streamer audio quality too. With Pioneer N-30, Aries Mini, microRendu and ultraRendu streamers I have expericenced the streamer section also has a huge impact on sound quality.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Good to know it's perfect as a dac too. I thought it would be a streamer first.
It would be interesting when you would be able to test the streamer audio quality too. With Pioneer N-30, Aries Mini, microRendu and ultraRendu streamers I have expericenced the streamer section also has a huge impact on sound quality.

Currently, I am testing the Marantz NA11-S1 Gold edition, I have two weeks testing allowance, with the purchasing (if any) price already fixed @ 1,800 EUR ... Nice machine, I am seriously impressed ... :) No disks however but do not need them ...

1544636830638.png

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

derp1n

Hmm ...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=4tb ssd&Submit=ENE
Considering the retail channel pays 35% of the RRPs, proposing then the items with a 20% discount, it looks that the 4TB SSDs might be available in the OEM channel for $500 max ? Not a big incidence increase, if any, on a machine with a $5,500 RRP ...

It might be more a technical reason at the base of the double drive solution ...
Like I said, this thing has been available since at least early 2017. They were demoing it with the current sized SSD back in Jan 2016. All of the pricing and availability decisions were made then, not with Dec 2018 SSD prices you linked. There's no way they're moving enough volume to get interesting discounts on the SSDs, either.

As Amir said, $5500 is retail, Aurender aren't wholesaling it at anywhere near that price.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Like I said, this thing has been available since at least early 2017. They were demoing it with the current sized SSD back in Jan 2016. All of the pricing and availability decisions were made then, not with Dec 2018 SSD prices you linked. There's no way they're moving enough volume to get interesting discounts on the SSDs, either.

As Amir said, $5500 is retail, Aurender aren't wholesaling it at anywhere near that price.

S Korea on S Korea ... they can save few $ on the shipment of these SSDs at least ! ;)

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I feel these Hi-Fi gears from S Korea - from brands as Allnic Audio, Aurender, Calyx Audio, Stello, ect., quite expensive o_O if compared to the western brands, including the Japanese ones, which have made and/or are still making the history of the Hi-Fi ... It might be that their performances justify the higher prices, I do not know, however between an Aurender and i.e. a Naim or a Marantz, I take the latter ones every single day of the year ... saving some $ as well over the Koreans at the end ... :cool:

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you need streamer if you have a computer?
They sound exactly the same, right?
Yes, but computers are usually not as nicely styled as this.
Whether the styling (and interface) is worth the money is up to the individual.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why do you need streamer if you have a computer?
They sound exactly the same, right?
It is to eliminate the computer. :) These black boxes tend to be easier to maintain, work as soon as you turn them on, etc. With a computer you have to choose your software interface, DAC, remote interface, etc. These come all in one.

Even though I have built my own I curse them sometimes. Yesterday mine turned off when power went off. I booted it and needed to login. Problem was, my wireless keyboard battery was dead so I could not. Had to get a new battery for it before I could get past the windows login.

As to sound quality, many think these are better but in reality there is no difference. These boxes run a full operating system and computer internally so there is no architectural advantage to them.

PuX

If 4TB SSDs were even available then, price would be a major consideration even with the $5500 retail on this.
actually ssd were less expensive in 2017 than this year. and if they couldn't get 4TB, they could get 2 x 2TB. although it's kind of pointless, just get a NAS/home server, put it in another room where noise isn't an issue and store the music there.

dragonspit4

It is to eliminate the computer. :) These black boxes tend to be easier to maintain, work as soon as you turn them on, etc. With a computer you have to choose your software interface, DAC, remote interface, etc. These come all in one.

Even though I have built my own I curse them sometimes. Yesterday mine turned off when power went off. I booted it and needed to login. Problem was, my wireless keyboard battery was dead so I could not. Had to get a new battery for it before I could get past the windows login.

As to sound quality, many think these are better but in reality there is no difference. These boxes run a full operating system and computer internally so there is no architectural advantage to them.
Sorry to hear that. That's why u should use a wired keyboard instead... Hahaha

Well if the streamer and computer both sound the same, I will stick with my computer. I want my gaming and YouTube music to song good as well.

Buying a streamer is extra money without any performance gain, also can not use it for gaming audio.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Currently, I am testing the Marantz NA11-S1 Gold edition, I have two weeks testing allowance, with the purchasing (if any) price already fixed @ 1,800 EUR ... Nice machine, I am seriously impressed ... :) No disks however but do not need them ...

View attachment 18707

Frankly, for that price I see absolutely nothing to be impressed specification and function wyse. What is it that impressed you?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
actually ssd were less expensive in 2017 than this year. and if they couldn't get 4TB, they could get 2 x 2TB. although it's kind of pointless, just get a NAS/home server, put it in another room where noise isn't an issue and store the music there.

I am with you technically-wise, but if you are part of the Korean super-hyper-rich business people you feel you want some kind of exclusive piece of technology ... :cool:

Krunok

Major Contributor

True. Although I need to come closer than 40cm to my Synology NAS to hear it when the room is silent so I guess most of modern NAS can sit in the same room as well.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I am with you technically-wise, but if you are part of the Korean super-hyper-rich business people you feel you want some kind of exclusive piece of technology ... :cool:

Nouveau riche.. They learned how to earn money but I guess they will never learn how not to be snobbish.

Top Bottom