• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Auralic Vega DAC

Like so many products today there are too many to choose from. In the old days it was a lot easier, if you wanted high end you knew to choose McIntosh. Today, I am so confused and over whelmed. I know I can still go with McIntosh and be happy but that too is over my budget.

Very true, I think there are products that all of us would purchase atleast to try out if the prices were lower.
Originally I wanted a Objective DAC3, but bought a Topping DX7 since it was about 1/5th of the price.
About a year later when testing was done, my DX7 is around the same performance as a DAC3. Atleast to the point that there should be no audible difference between the two!
I have also contemplated buying the RME ADI-Pro2 that was tested here... but considering the performance available via so many products these days.... I'm just waiting for something bombshell like the THX AAA 789 I recently acquired (I'm glad I took the chance).

I just realized you are quoting headphone DAC amps. I don't do headphones. I think that would make a difference in our choices.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I just realized you are quoting headphone DAC amps. I don't do headphones. I think that would make a difference in our choices.
The THX AAA 789 is a headphone Amp.
But the DX7 is both a pre-amp and a headphone amp.
It has a remote and can adjust levels digitially and be fed into a speaker amp (actually would work great considering its inputs and outputs).

ADI-Pro2 has a similar setup and can also be used for a pre-amp.

Bfmcosta

For around is not quite the same as my exact quote from the website. Anyways you make good points on audible advantages from other DAC's. I think that is what we are all searching for. My interest in the Vega at this point is part on the good reviews I have seen over the years from the conception of this new company and now today I see about a $2k price drop on the Vega which puts it in a more palatable price tag for those who originally wanted it but thought the price was much too high. I did order one yesterday to check out to see if there is that audible difference. I am currently using the Auralic mini with upgraded linear power. Entry point I know but it did move my 13 year old rack system to present day streaming capability. I will let you know of my audible findings. Otherwise it goes right back.

I use my Vega fed via Usb from the Aries Mini with upgraded power supply. It is simply incomparable the quality of the Mini vs the Vega, and you will notice it immediately. Nonetheless, don’t forget to compare each of the 4 similar filters between the Mini and the Vega, and compare the clock settings of the Vega (Exact is the best one, only available when the dac has been turned on for at last 1 hour). Also, if you amplifier allows it, use the XLR connections that sound better than RCA in this dac. Don’t forget to to let the Vega run in for a few days before taking any final decision/conclusion (even though I am sure you will decide to keep it in the first day). :)

I use my Vega fed via Usb from the Aries Mini with upgraded power supply. It is simply incomparable the quality of the Mini vs the Vega, and you will notice it immediately. Nonetheless, don’t forget to compare each of the 4 similar filters between the Mini and the Vega, and compare the clock settings of the Vega (Exact is the best one, only available when the dac has been turned on for at last 1 hour). Also, if you amplifier allows it, use the XLR connections that sound better than RCA in this dac. Don’t forget to to let the Vega run in for a few days before taking any final decision/conclusion (even though I am sure you will decide to keep it in the first day). :)

Thank you for the advice. In regards to the upgraded power supply are you referring to the mini? I also have that. Do I need any special upgrade for the Vega DAC power supply? I have an old Marantz SR8500 which I don't see XLR connections.

Bfmcosta

Thank you for the advice. In regards to the upgraded power supply are you referring to the mini? I also have that. Do I need any special upgrade for the Vega DAC power supply? I have an old Marantz SR8500 which I don't see XLR connections.
Yes, I was referring to the power supply for the Mini. I am still using the power cables that came in the box of all my other components, but I plan to change that as soon as possible. I have been a skeptical regarding power cables/supplies/conditioners, but after so many people telling me otherwise and some home-demos, I was convinced. Indeed, I just bought an Isotek Evo3 Aquarius and I am absolutely shocked and amazed on the several improvements in my system (Aries Mini, Vega Dac, Pathos Ethos integraded amp, Proac Response D48R). I never thought my system could play this good, and I risk to say this “power conditioner” may have been the single most effective upgrade I ever made. I am still using the regular power cables, but these are connected to the ISOTEK power conditioner. So my next upgrade will be the power cables of the Dac and the Amp...

I will look into the power conditioner. I have the B&W XT4s and I recently bought the audioengine Sub which added the missing low end I was looking for. I am so curious how the Vega will add to the sound.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yes, I was referring to the power supply for the Mini. I am still using the power cables that came in the box of all my other components, but I plan to change that as soon as possible. I have been a skeptical regarding power cables/supplies/conditioners, but after so many people telling me otherwise and some home-demos, I was convinced. Indeed, I just bought an Isotek Evo3 Aquarius and I am absolutely shocked and amazed on the several improvements in my system (Aries Mini, Vega Dac, Pathos Ethos integraded amp, Proac Response D48R). I never thought my system could play this good, and I risk to say this “power conditioner” may have been the single most effective upgrade I ever made. I am still using the regular power cables, but these are connected to the ISOTEK power conditioner. So my next upgrade will be the power cables of the Dac and the Amp...
All of this stuff has never been measured to have any sort of affect on the sound.
It is fake and a sighted difference.

Please do not spew these sort of myths around this forum as this is an objective forum and we only discuss what can be measured and proven.

Lastly its also been proven that "burn in" and leaving devices on / warming them up typically has ZERO affect on performance of any DAC.
Amir has only recently shown that performance of power amplifiers can decrease over time as heat rises.
But I do not recall him ever showing ANYTHING that proves the inverse is true (better over time when left on).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hello all... First post here, but I am in the exact same boat, with a literal overload of options when it comes to DAC choices, philosophies, etc...and I ordered one from the Auralic site which arrived Monday. I also ordered the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital, which I got yesterday. I am looking forward to the comparison. I also have a dragonfly red sitting around I will throw into the mix.

My older Krell Showcase preamp has analog Passthrough available for all analog inputs, so I will hook each of them up and see what I can hear.

I'm also interested in whether I will be able to tell the difference between sending the analog signal straight through the analog Passthrough to the amp, (Krell Kav250), and using the preamp processor (easiest way to add that .1 channel) which obviously involves another ADA conversion. I listen through KEF LS50's, and I use a velodyne DD12 sub. The preamp has balanced inputs, which pairs nicely with the Vega.
So far, I am really enjoying the Vega. I do a lot of Tidal streaming, so I'm also interested in comparing how they each handle mqa files... The pre box with the built in decoding vs the Vega without. 15470447154577278159151846441068.jpg
Looking forward to what you think of yours when you get it. I have to say, it is a nice little box on first, second and third impression.

I'll probably have my son hook them up to inputs I don't know ahead of time, then listen to them each a while and see if I start turning to one input vs the other.

Either way, the reality is, I just love listening to music. I'm looking forward to some hard auditioning!

Cheers

For around is not quite the same as my exact quote from the website. Anyways you make good points on audible advantages from other DAC's. I think that is what we are all searching for. My interest in the Vega at this point is part on the good reviews I have seen over the years from the conception of this new company and now today I see about a $2k price drop on the Vega which puts it in a more palatable price tag for those who originally wanted it but thought the price was much too high. I did order one yesterday to check out to see if there is that audible difference. I am currently using the Auralic mini with upgraded linear power. Entry point I know but it did move my 13 year old rack system to present day streaming capability. I will let you know of my audible findings. Otherwise it goes right back.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Measurements please?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Measurements please?
They won't be posting now it seems.
Any question of authenticity always sets mythical believers aside.

Its unfortunate that many people are unwilling to look at things objectively and would rather waste money.

Bfmcosta

@Jimster480... No need to be so precipitate... Or btw so disrespectful of other people's opinion... I will gladly provide my detailed (and not simply superficial) impressions and reasons as to why I changed my opinion after 8 years (as I started saying, I was always a skeptical and did not even want to do a blind test with those power products - as it, if for nothing else, helped me living better with my financial limitations for audio equipment...), but having observed such a "die-hard" closed mind, I thought it would be better to provide enough info other than simply saying that "if it was not measured, it does not exist"... Please be a bit more patient, as now I have a very important deadline in my job (being a scientist for a living for 15 years, I have many grant applications to help science and the society moving forward... for instance, so we can measure "things" tomorrow that we could/can not measure yesterday/today... :rolleyes: even if applied to health sciences, the principles are quite the same). I will gladly come back to the discussion (if there is place to one, and not simply fighting and impinging opinions to other people). Again, sorry if you are in a hurry for a response...

Roen

@Jimster480... No need to be so precipitate... Or btw so disrespectful of other people's opinion... I will gladly provide my detailed (and not simply superficial) impressions and reasons as to why I changed my opinion after 8 years (as I started saying, I was always a skeptical and did not even want to do a blind test with those power products - as it, if for nothing else, helped me living better with my financial limitations for audio equipment...), but having observed such a "die-hard" closed mind, I thought it would be better to provide enough info other than simply saying that "if it was not measured, it does not exist"... Please be a bit more patient, as now I have a very important deadline in my job (being a scientist for a living for 15 years, I have many grant applications to help science and the society moving forward... for instance, so we can measure "things" tomorrow that we could/can not measure yesterday/today... :rolleyes: even if applied to health sciences, the principles are quite the same). I will gladly come back to the discussion (if there is place to one, and not simply fighting and impinging opinions to other people). Again, sorry if you are in a hurry for a response...
But this isn't the forum for impressions. At least, not so much impressions used to justify a purchase. If you're going to make an argument or share opinions which can be interpreted as support or advice for a specific product, you better have some quantifiable evidence to back up the claims. Subjective impressions are well below the standard on this forum.

Impressions do have their place here. That place is not describing how power conditioners help your chain out in isolation. It would be welcome with corresponding evidence backing up these claims.

I'm sure you've seen this on all of the threads you've read so far.

Bfmcosta

It's seldom a good idea to try to guess what people are going to say, even worst is to "kill" that liberty, as it may happen what just did: missing completely the point and wasting time. Again, if you have just a bit more patience, you may know what I have to say about it.

Roen

I'm sure you have a lot to say, but I don't think it will be received under the lens you hope it will be received with.

I invite you to look up fellow subjective opinions on other products' threads, and the immediate aftermath afterwards for context as to what this forum is generally about.

Liberty is good to have, but if it goes against the main theme of this forum, the user base has no issues letting you know. Just a friendly warning.

Bfmcosta

Thank you @Roen, that actually sounds very reasonable. Sometimes it's all about "how" we let other people know our thoughts, and be polite enough to prevent misunderstandings.

Daverz

Major Contributor
For DACs that have a digital volume control like the Vega, it would be interesting to see measurements at several different volume settings.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For DACs that have a digital volume control like the Vega, it would be interesting to see measurements at several different volume settings.
I do play around with them usually and note what I find. Longer term, i plan to do a detailed study of how the volume control in different places affects performance.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I've had my Vega for over 4 years now, so a report on some of the problems I've had for those who might want to buy one.
  • The volume/menu knob came off the shaft not to long after I got it. It's only glued on, apparently not very well. I still haven't tried to glue it back on.
  • More troublesome, I sometimes get some hashy noise in the right channel when sound is played. I noticed it today as I was doing a REW sweep. Cycling the power fixes it, so I'm guessing it's a firmware problem. I haven't talked to my dealer about this yet. I'm afraid it might have to go back to China.
  • When using so-called Exact clock mode I get stuttering when switching between 44.1X sample rates and 48X sample rates. Drives me nuts, because "everyone" says Exact is better. According to the company founder this mode is only "experimental" anyway. No problems in the "Auto" clock mode.
Overall, happy with the device, but would probably not spend that much again.

One more thing to add is that I've lost some pixels on the OLED display. Not too bothersome, as I can still make out the volume level, and my eyes are pretty bad anyway, so I never could make out the sample rate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom