• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Aune X7s and Arcam rHead Headphone Amps

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurement and comparison of Aune X7s and Arcam rHead headphone amplifiers. I purchased the Aune X7s from ebay for $250. I bought the Arcam rHead used from a member in UK who also bought it used. The total cost to me shipped was £98.55 or $127. The retail price is $599 but I see them advertized for half as much online.

Note: John Dawson, the designer behind Arcam rHead is a long time professional friend and great designer. While I did not let that enter my review criteria, I thought I disclose that out of abundance of caution.

Both of these units are substantial in weight. Quite a bit more than any audio produce in this price category. You can get an idea of their size here:
Aune X7s and Arcam rHead Review and Measurements.jpg

Of the two, the Aune is much more attractive. They brag about getting the industrial design done in UK and it shows. It must be expensive to machine all those curves. Overall it is a very unique look in a sea of ordinary products.

Feature wise these are pretty different products. The Aune X7s has three different gain switches (0, 12 and 20 dB). Instead of a selector, they give you three, very difficult to flip dip switches underneath. I thought I was going to break the little plastic on them as I put lots of pressure on them to toggle. After a few times they have become easier to flip but still, they need to get a different switch.

There is only unbalanced RCA inputs but there is balanced headphone out.

Power is provided by a rather larger, multi-voltage transformer.

The Arcam rHead has a fixed gain of 16 dB (measured by me). It has both unbalanced and unbalanced inputs, but only unbalanced output. Got that? :)

Arcam uses a switching wall-wart power supply that is less than half the size and weight of Aune's.

Let's get into the measurements and see how they did.

Measurements
Testing headphone amplifiers is challenging given the differing gains and multiple settings for the same. Performance can even vary based on position of volume control. So there is really no 100% apples to apples comparison. To that end, I decided to show my dashboard measurements at the most optimal results I could get. That point at least is rather singular.

First up is Aune X7s. Best performance was with unity (0 dB) gain:

Aune X7s headphone amplifier 0 db gain dashboard Measurement.png

These are very good numbers if a bit shy of what Aune advertises (0.00013% distortion). Even with medium gain results were very good (108 dB SINAD).

The Arcam rHead couldn't quite keep up:

Arcam rHead headphone amplifier dashboard Measurement.png

These are still pretty respectable results. As noted on the graph though there is mains leakage which is typical of devices fed by switching supplies. Distortion is otherwise much lower.

Let's look at power output versus load starting at 300 ohm:

Aune X7s Headphone Amplifier vs Arcam rHead Distortion vs Power 300 ohm Measurement.png

We see the dashboard results reflected here with the Aune showing less noise in the downward part of that graph. The Aune also produces more power prior to clipping. The horizontal line is due to Arcam rHead going into protection and shutting off the output (a non-event given that we are way past clipping). So the nod goes to Aune here.

Results at 150 ohm are similar:
Aune X7s Headphone Amplifier vs Arcam rHead Distortion vs Power 150 ohm Measurement.png

But the picture changes at 50 ohm and lower:
Aune X7s Headphone Amplifier vs Arcam rHead Distortion vs Power 50 ohm Measurement.png

Here there is a rise in the distortion of Aune X7s output prior to clipping which does not exist in Arcam. As a result, the Arcam rHead remains cleaner at higher power levels than X7s.

Here is 33 ohm with similar outcome:
Aune X7s Headphone Amplifier vs Arcam rHead Distortion vs Power 33 ohm Measurement.png

So at lower load impedances/headphones, the Arcam rHead comes out ahead.

Since the Aune X7s has balanced output, here is a comparison of that at 50 ohm against unbalanced:

Aune X7s Headphone Amplifier Distortion vs Power 50 ohm balanced vs unbalanced Measurement.png

As noted on the graph, balanced produces higher noise, higher distortion and higher power. To the extent you don't need its extra power, I would stick with unbalanced output. This is in contrast to the prior two headphone amps I measured where balanced was both lower noise and distortion.

Intermodulation distortion versus level shows what we already know:

Aune X7s Headphone Amplifier vs Arcam rHead Intermodulation Distortion Measurement.png

Note that the difference in noise is most likely not audible whereas the lower distortion in Arcam rHead will be (assuming you listen really loud).

Looking at channel imbalance versus volume position, one shows as clear winner. First Aune X7s:
Aune X7s Headphone Amplifier vs Arcam rHead Channel Imbalance Measurement.png

For fairness I ran this in high-gain mode. Here we see +- 0.5 dB of channel imbalance (and more if you go really low volumes). In sharp contrast, the Arcam rHead delivers near ideal results:

Arcam rHead headphone amplifier channel imbalance Measurement.png

The rHead uses a resistor ladder rather than a potentiometer and hence its much better channel matching. With that unfortunately comes a rather steppy volume control that will not go below certain level. So extra sensitive headphones may be too loud to use with it.

Last but certainly not least is the output impedance measurement:

Aune X7s Headphone Amplifier vs Arcam rHead Output Impedance Measurement.png

Ouch. The Aune X7s has an output impedance of 11 ohms! No wonder it is missing from their specs which even includes Audio Precision measurements.

The Arcam rHead measures at 0.9 ohm which is inline with their advertised 0.5 ohm spec (my measurements usually show a bit high).

Listening Tests
I first level matched both units using my Audio Precision analyzer. I the used a Y cable to feed the same signal from a Topping DX7s to both units. From then on, I used the volume control on the DX7s to adjust the level of sound. The outputs of both units were fed to an AB switch which I randomized for testing. My youngest son was with me for this test which is good as his high frequency sensitivity is well above mine.

I played my standard headphone test clips. My son could not find any difference across three headphones we tested: Sennheiser HD-650, Hifiman HE-400i and Sony MDR-V6. I thought I heard slightly better bass performance out of Arcam rHead but it was very slight and was not consistent.

At no time was there any difference in soundstage, or any other mumbo jumbo you read in subjective reviews. Fidelity mimicked that of source content.

To test for hum and noise, I plugged in my sensitive IEMs and both units were dead silent at all volume levels.

Conclusions
Finding faults with these units was difficult. Both seem to be very competently designed. I love the look of the Aune X7s but its output impedance is too high to recommend it to everyone. If you have a headphone with flat impedance curve or very high impedance, then that should not be a problem and the X7s would make a good choice.

The Arcam rHead had slightly less performance than state-of-the-art due to some mains leakage (which was NOT audible). Its low output impedance will make it a lot more of a general purpose headphone amplifier than the X7s. As such, the Arcam rHead gets my recommendation.

That said, the Aune is an attractively designed and powerful amplifier. If the higher impedance is not an issue, it produces superlative measurements and lots of power and hence, gets a conditional recommendation from me (whatever that means :) ).

-----
If you like this review, please consider donating funds for these types of hardware purchases using Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).

Attachments

• Aune X7s Headphone Amplifier Distortion vs Power 50 ohm balanced vs unbalanced Measurement.png
    Aune X7s Headphone Amplifier Distortion vs Power 50 ohm balanced vs unbalanced Measurement.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 857
Last edited:
Been waiting for the measurements of the X7s. As I suspected, it has a high output impedance, which doesn't pair well with my E-MU Teaks (bass was more controlled with my cheap DAP). I'm selling my X7s for this reason. rHead costs $900AUD in Australia. LOL!

derp1n

Been waiting for the measurements of the X7s. As I suspected, it has a high output impedance, which doesn't pair well with my E-MU Teaks (bass was more controlled with my cheap DAP). I'm selling my X7s for this reason. rHead costs $900AUD in Australia. LOL!
You can get one delivered for $310 AUD approx if you order from overseas, e.g. Analogue Seduction.

Sythrix

Great review, but the high output impedance has me worried for their other products. I don’t think they ever tell anyone what it is because they know it’s bad...

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this, the Arcam rHead is a design I was especially interested to see measured and evaluated as at the moment it is heavily discounted in the UK to the point where by the time we pay shipping and VAT (tax) it is as cheap or cheaper than many of the ostensibly cheaper alternatives available from Asia. However, I think we know that price is not a good indicator of audio equipment performance so the fact that it had started life at £399 (now they can be bought for less than £170, new) doesn't say much. I'll admit this is a very parochial view and probably one which is only really relevant for us here in the UK in terms of the rHead but if there is a good performing product available at that price which can be bought from a local dealer for an established manufacturer with the warranty cover etc that comes with that then that is worth considering as well as whether alternatives may be slightly ahead in measurement and subjective sound.

Sami

The Arcam rHead measures at 0.9 volts

ITYM 0.9 ohms.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Arcam is everything I hoped it would be, and as I've never owned a proper headphone amp, and I'm in the UK I've ordered one.

Timbo2

Thanks!

Since the Arcam came from the UK what did you use for a power supply? Was the included power supply able to be used with US voltage?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks!

Since the Arcam came from the UK what did you use for a power supply? Was the included power supply able to be used with US voltage?
Yes. It is a universal supply that comes with different slide in plugs for different outlet types.

Grave

I like the look of those Aune X7s measurements. It has even lower distortion than my Topping A30. Although it is $300 on Amazon, so it costs more than my DAC and amp combined.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am looking for an amp with low-impedance output and good clarity. Portable or desktop is not too important.

Factoring in the price difference, among Arcam rHead, iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Label, or Topping NX4 DSD, which one is the best choice?

Or is it worthwhile to wait for the Massdrop THX AAA 789 and the measurement of it?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Factoring in the price difference, among Arcam rHead, iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Label, or Topping NX4 DSD, which one is the best choice?
ifi iDSD black remains my favorite.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Or is it worthwhile to wait for the Massdrop THX AAA 789 and the measurement of it?
You have to make that decision. :) On paper it should do better than these products.

Bhargu

@amirm, Thanks a lot for this review. Both looks great, but rHead seems more versatile (owing to lower output impedance and the channel balance). For once, it feels nice to see a good review from a hyped product.

One thing, you mentioned 16 dB gain for rHead and the dashboard shows 5.8 Vrms out. What was the input level? Also, according to the power level graphs, the peak Vrms should be around 6V. With a 16 dB fixed gain, won't there be heavy clipping with a 2V standard DAC output?

Top Bottom